• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Wish I could be there - wife popped this week. Baby girl arrived on Monday. 8lbs 4oz. I'm a happy poppa! I'll be on home detail for the forseeable future, but shoot up some stuff for me, and I'll catch you guys on the next go-round.

Kashmir - lemme know if you need any help w/ your AR. I've built all of mine, and if I can give you any help, don't hesitiate to ask!

Thanks Apone - I will take any advice I can get. If I'm going to build it what do you recommend (uppers, lowers triggers etc)

Congrat on the new baby - What's her name?

I have 4 girls and 1 boy. Kids are the most amazing and rewarding (and frustrating) things in life. Especially when they are small. Those little faces and littte tiny fingernails - They're just so beautiful. God makes them that way so we don't kill them. :D

thanks again and give our regards to momma and baby.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what role/purpose you whant the rifle to fill. Wnything form long range bench gun to lightweight carbine. You can go midlength or short barreled rifle/pistol caliber. Once you figure out exactly what type of Ar you would like, then we can recommend what our preference would be. There are a million choices and directions. It might help to look over all the pics on the rifle forum and on Ar15.com. From them you can probably get an idea of what type of rifle you would like.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    Thanks guys! I haven't stopped grinning for 3 days now. :-D Her name is Sydney. I'm so screwed - I have a son already, but a daughter... I am going to have no will to say no to her.

Russ is right on - first, decide what kind of rifle you want to build. What kind of shooting do you want to do w/ your AR? Competition? SHTF? Just to have? Long range? Short-barreled? There are lots of things to consider (and why you'll wind up with more than one!!) Once you know that, it gets pretty easy - it's all about budget from there. Lowers for the most part, are lowers. There are a couple of brands to stay away from, but your biggest decision will be billet vs. forged. Billet lowers are PURTY!!! They cost a bit more, though. Everything else is completely dependent on what you're going to do with it. Start up a thread, or send me a PM, and we can kick some stuff around. OR... maybe I can arrange to sneak out for a beer or two somewhere in E-burg once the little ones goes to sleep... :-D

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what role/purpose you whant the rifle to fill. Wnything form long range bench gun to lightweight carbine. You can go midlength or short barreled rifle/pistol caliber. Once you figure out exactly what type of Ar you would like, then we can recommend what our preference would be. There are a million choices and directions. It might help to look over all the pics on the rifle forum and on Ar15.com. From them you can probably get an idea of what type of rifle you would like.

Got it - I've already given it some thought. It will be a general purpose AR, 5.56 cal. probably 16" ( I want to be able to do some 200 yard shooting with it, this first AR will probably not be a long range rifle.)

It will have optics - possible an ACOG - haven't decided. no bi-pod. collapsible stock, lime green with floresent orange flowers.

(actually I'm not sure about the color scheme yet)

I'll spend some more time on AR15.com and see what else strikes me.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thanks guys! I haven't stopped grinning for 3 days now. :-D Her name is Sydney. I'm so screwed - I have a son already, but a daughter... I am going to have no will to say no to her.

Russ is right on - first, decide what kind of rifle you want to build. What kind of shooting do you want to do w/ your AR? Competition? SHTF? Just to have? Long range? Short-barreled? There are lots of things to consider (and why you'll wind up with more than one!!) Once you know that, it gets pretty easy - it's all about budget from there. Lowers for the most part, are lowers. There are a couple of brands to stay away from, but your biggest decision will be billet vs. forged. Billet lowers are PURTY!!! They cost a bit more, though. Everything else is completely dependent on what you're going to do with it. Start up a thread, or send me a PM, and we can kick some stuff around. OR... maybe I can arrange to sneak out for a beer or two somewhere in E-burg once the little ones goes to sleep... :-D

Sounds good - I'll get some ideas together and start a thread. A beer sounds good as well. Let's see how things are going over the next couple of days.

Regards
    Jim

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    bumpity bump.

Reminder! Sunday, June 21st, 1PM (or whenever you can get there) at Hap Baker!

I will be a bit late, bringing the "future" FIL along. The "future" wife is still undecided. However, she is killing me with chores today so I think I get to make a few demands ;).

Splitter

Yankee

May 5, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    Thanks for all the generous offers guys. I'll definately be there tomorrow. Can someone let me know where exactly the range is in relation to Westminster? How will I be able to identify the group? I'll be wearing a NY Yankees cap and a big smile on my face (appologies to all the O's fans on here)

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    From where are you coming?

The range is right off route 140. You will see a sign for the county dump (no lie). Turn in there and follow the winding dirt road all the way back, you will see small signs for the range.

Yeah, close to the dump but, no, it does not smell :).

Splitter

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Morning bump (one of my favorite things in life)....

I'll be the fat guy in the black Steelers cap, yellow shit, say hi! Going to have three .45's, a HiPoint 380, a HiPoint 9mm pistol, and a Skeeter. Happy to share and you can say you shot a HiPoint and it did not blow up! Not sure if I am bringing the old .22 bolt, needs a good cleaning first.

Splitter

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    You guys with the Stankyees and Squeelers hats might want to take them off before you hit the range!!! :lol2:

J/K... Have fun, sounds like a goodtime!!!!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'll be the guy playing with the new Ar's. Hopefully they will run fine and I'll do more shooting than playing, but I'll also have my SKS M and a Mosin 38.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Lol, so nobody even answered the question of what time you will be done shooting and where you will be going to eat and at what time.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I just got back from BWW. It was hard corraling everyone as we kind of trickled in from 1-3 at Hap Baker. We got to BWW at 3:45 and most were still at the range shooting. It was great meeting the new guys and I'm glad Yankee got to shoot lots of cool stuff while he was here. Looking forward to the next one for sure! Oh and and both my new Ar builds functioned perfectly!

Ultimate Member
    I just got back from BWW. It was hard corraling everyone as we kind of trickled in from 1-3 at Hap Baker. We got to BWW at 3:45 and most were still at the range shooting. It was great meeting the new guys and I'm glad Yankee got to shoot lots of cool stuff while he was here. Looking forward to the next one for sure! Oh and and both my new Ar builds functioned perfectly!

when are you people doing this July one and do you ever eat at Cactus Willies?

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Had a great time!

Good see the regulars and to meet some new people including Kac and Yankee and someone we'll just call Sublime. Wonderful shooting Sublime's AR and Kac's AR/AK with NO kick. Not sure what the one pistol Kac had was beyond on lder H&K, but I want one! Thankl you all.

I think the neatest thing at these get-togethers is that everyone wants you to try their guns (including me, all of ours are available to shoot so just ask). Very educational and just damned fun.

The wife was there for a while but left early after throwing a hundred rounds or so downrange. The FIL had a graet time and I thank you for letting him try your rifles.

Wish we could have hit BWW but we had to scoot to a cookout. Can't wait for the July shoot!

Splitter

Koszmar

Apr 3, 2009
    Manchester
    Sounds like I missed my first Carroll County shooters hang. When is the next one going to be? I have some decent weapons to bring and hopefully will have my yankee hill suppressor by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom