• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We all know gun belts are supposed to be stiff. My competition belt is, and I've seen with my own eyes the problems with OWB holsters on saggy flaccid belts. But what about IWB?
    Most of the time that I've been carrying has been for the fun of it...no perceived threat at all. (Ironically, the only time I go anywhere dangerous is getting materials out of Baltimore for work...in a school board vehicle which is a GFZ.). Even though I was trained to know better, I've been casually putting my P365 IWB in the same thin floppy web belt I wear all day...and it seems to work :shrug:. I guess because the holster is captured between the belt (which I do keep fairly snug) and my body, it seems to behave itself. It stays put when I draw and, once I got the cant mostly dialed in, it rides right there where it is supposed to. It hasn't come close to trying to jump out, even while driving. If anything, it can be a pain to get the clip to let go when I'm trying to remove the holster without taking off my pants.

I do have a Nexbelt (still in the box) and a few nice stiff leather belts for "going out," but that just doesn't work with my usual routine...plus, I sweat way too much in the summer to wear leather during the day.

Based on the official guidance of stiff carry belts, I'm doing it wrong. But, if it works, isn't that ok? Anybody else? What am I missing?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    We all know gun belts are supposed to be stiff. My competition belt is, and I've seen with my own eyes the problems with OWB holsters on saggy flaccid belts. But what about IWB?
    Most of the time that I've been carrying has been for the fun of it...no perceived threat at all. (Ironically, the only time I go anywhere dangerous is getting materials out of Baltimore for work...in a school board vehicle which is a GFZ.). Even though I was trained to know better, I've been casually putting my P365 IWB in the same thin floppy web belt I wear all day...and it seems to work :shrug:. I guess because the holster is captured between the belt (which I do keep fairly snug) and my body, it seems to behave itself. It stays put when I draw and, once I got the cant mostly dialed in, it rides right there where it is supposed to. It hasn't come close to trying to jump out, even while driving. If anything, it can be a pain to get the clip to let go when I'm trying to remove the holster without taking off my pants.

I do have a Nexbelt (still in the box) and a few nice stiff leather belts for "going out," but that just doesn't work with my usual routine...plus, I sweat way too much in the summer to wear leather during the day.

Based on the official guidance of stiff carry belts, I'm doing it wrong. But, if it works, isn't that ok? Anybody else? What am I missing?

I'm a carry newb and just around the house until my permit gets here.

As somebody with more belly than ass, I have found the stiff Nexbelt keeps my shorts/pants up better than a floppy belt. Even when not carrying and just weighted down pockets...

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

You are correct that IWB holsters do not require the same level of stiffness as OWB. One of the belts I use with IWB is a double-thickness (2 layer) 1.5” nylon belt and it holds very secure. It also allows me to cinch to just the right tightness, because I don’t have to hit preset holes. The ratcheting NEXbelts are good for getting correct adjustment, also.

When I carry OWB, I use a quality stiff leather belt. There are also stiff/reinforced nylon belts that work well.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    As somebody with more belly than ass, I have found the stiff Nexbelt keeps my shorts/pants up better than a floppy belt. Even when not carrying and just weighted down pockets...
    This is me 110% but I have a kore belt.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’ve been carrying a P365 IWB (at about 4:00) for just about as long as that pistol has been available. Nothing fancy on the kydex holster, and it’s been the same one Nexbelt that whole time. Just got a new one this week, as the original developed a tear right near the ratchet stitching.

Along with the new (more casual looking) Nexbelt, I ordered a replacement strap for the slightly dressier wounded one. The casual one seems right at home with cargo shorts or jeans. I’ve got more tacticool things for other circumstances but almost never bother. Matches have their own rigs.

All that said, I agree, Art. As long as the clip can get over your belt and grab hold, it’s going to work unless it’s just a piece of nonsense.

The other day shooting at the UL, I pulled the carry piece out for a little pre-lunch Fauxzambique drill on a B27 a few yards off, and low and behold, the holster came with it. I have to admit I was pleased at the instantaneous awareness of that and the speed with which I could sweep the holster off and shoot the drill. But it was a reminder to actually set that up deliberately once in a while, even dry firing. Great holsters and belts are still variables.

Oh: my newer Nexbelt is JUST enough wider that I need to change out the clip on my holster so it’ll positively grab. Just a small variation was all it took the usual rig to not fit right. It’s always something.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The MOST important thing with IWB is the clips having a good purchase on the belt.
    Not sure why you haven't opened the Nexbelt yet. You're missing out with the on the go adjustment.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A good stiff belt is never a bad thing .

That said , for IWB , with the cumulative holding qualities of belt plus the pants themselves , IWB holsters are forgiving .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm a carry newb and just around the house until my permit gets here.

I guess I'm fortunate that my ratio hangs a little more out the back. If it wasn't for all the crap I carry around, my pants would probably stay up with no belt.
    You are correct that IWB holsters do not require the same level of stiffness as OWB. One of the belts I use with IWB is a double-thickness (2 layer) 1.5” nylon belt and it holds very secure. It also allows me to cinch to just the right tightness, because I don’t have to hit preset holes. The ratcheting NEXbelts are good for getting correct adjustment, also.

When I carry OWB, I use a quality stiff leather belt. There are also stiff/reinforced nylon belts that work well.
    Definitely stiffer for OWB.
    This is me 110% but I have a kore belt.
    I'll check them out.
    I’ve been carrying a P365 IWB (at about 4:00) for just about as long as that pistol has been available. Nothing fancy on the kydex holster, and it’s been the same one Nexbelt that whole time. Just got a new one this week, as the original developed a tear right near the ratchet stitching.

Along with the new (more casual looking) Nexbelt, I ordered a replacement strap for the slightly dressier wounded one. The casual one seems right at home with cargo shorts or jeans. I’ve got more tacticool things for other circumstances but almost never bother. Matches have their own rigs.

All that said, I agree, Art. As long as the clip can get over your belt and grab hold, it’s going to work unless it’s just a piece of nonsense.

The other day shooting at the UL, I pulled the carry piece out for a little pre-lunch Fauxzambique drill on a B27 a few yards off, and low and behold, the holster came with it. I have to admit I was pleased at the instantaneous awareness of that and the speed with which I could sweep the holster off and shoot the drill. But it was a reminder to actually set that up deliberately once in a while, even dry firing. Great holsters and belts are still variables.

Oh: my newer Nexbelt is JUST enough wider that I need to change out the clip on my holster so it’ll positively grab. Just a small variation was all it took the usual rig to not fit right. It’s always something.
    I did pull the holster out one time while I was "getting dressed" in front of the mirror, but I realized that I had left the belt almost completely unbuckled from when I was trying to tuck. That one time has been floating in the back of my mind, but it really seems like it was a failure on my part for installation, not the equipment.
    The MOST important thing with IWB is the clips having a good purchase on the belt.
    Not sure why you haven't opened the Nexbelt yet. You're missing out with the on the go adjustment.
    Pure laziness on my part :o. I can't just put it on and go? I have to, like, measure and cut and reassemble? Aww man...ain't nobody got time for that.

Also, for what feels like about 90% of my life, I'm doing stuff that would wreck a nice belt: crawling around inside and under equipment, squeezing in tight, dirty places, etc. Working for the school system makes carry during the day a no go, not even leaving it in the car. My after work jobs (either at the farm, my parents place, or around the house) are where I'm wiggling through harsh belt environments. I usually empty my pockets of most of the other crap, wallet, extra phones, keys, etc.

These other working locations are pretty safe. I don't feel naked not carrying. I DO like knowing it's in the lockbox in the car. I especially like knowing I have it when I get home...just in case. Pre-Bruen, we came home to a man hunt basically in the back yard. We burst through the door and armed ourselves right quick...but it would have been a whole lot more comforting to have been armed getting out of the truck.

On the rare occasion of going out NOT to get dirty, the Nexbelt sounds like it will be a nice luxury. I'll get around to it one of these days...

That said , for IWB , with the cumulative holding qualities of belt plus the pants themselves , IWB holsters are forgiving .
    So maybe I wasn't doing it as wrong as I thought ;)

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018

Unless you are getting hit with it! My great uncle owned a leather shop and would make my father a nice new real leather belt every year. Getting my rear end whooped with a nice, new, high quality geniune leather belt was NOT a good thing!

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Try Deluth Trading Post they make real heavy leather belts w/lifetime warranty.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Belts aren't safe queens. You're missing out on a comfortable belt even not used for carry.
    Agreed. I bought a Next belt and it sat for a month. Once I started using it, it was a game changer. Male the time fit it and LEARN how to use it. It is a little cludgy at first, but worth the effort. It is also airport friendly. I tested it this week. Not CC, just wearing the belt to see if it would alarm. I do have to use the full body scanner do to a fake knee.

Shorty52

Sep 6, 2022
    Ellicott City
    I use the Kore Essential belts and have both casual and dress versions with various buckles and find they work very well when I am carrying either IWB or OWB.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    I love the adjustability of a Nexbelt. They are a little awkward to store (that's why they give you the bag), but they have great support.
    Like the Kore Essentials belts, Next Belts can be hung from the buckle in the closet. Hanging straight down.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Like the Kore Essentials belts, Next Belts can be hung from the buckle in the closet. Hanging straight down.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    I like how Kore gives you one of those hanger thingies. I need another one tho. My collection is growing.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Has anyone tried 1791 gun leather products? I bought a 1911 holster that seems to be ok, so I'd assume their belts are also going to be pretty solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom