• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I know that "state parks" are specifically off limits for carry.

I "think" that national parks within MD are off limits as well, but it doesn't seem as clear. I saw some discussion that was more debate than definitive.

How about county parks, specifically Anne Arundel and Howard?

I looked at rules for AA Co parks and the references to "weapons" seem limited to "discharge" and I really didn't see a limitation on carry.

Can anyone clarify this please?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    The interpretation I believe is accurate is that they are ok with CCW. Several do have signs (some handwritten) posted which are not legally binding.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    My interpretations:
    County park: Yes, on a county by county or city by city basis.
    State park: No.
    Federal park in MD: Yes, except you can’t enter the federal building in that federal park. Watch out for the metal detectors in the outhouse.

IANAL. Consult your 2A attorney.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My interpretations:
    County park: Yes, on a county by county or city by city basis.
    State park: No.
    Federal park in MD: Yes, except you can’t enter the federal building in that federal park. Watch out for the metal detectors in the outhouse.

IANAL. Consult your 2A attorney.
    I think Assateague is a no go.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    I remember hearing that Howard County parks are ok, but you cannot enter any building in the park (bathroom, snack bar etc) as they are prohibited county-owned buildings. Not sure about a covered picnic area like in Alpha Ridge Park.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I think Assateague is a no go.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    I don’t have the time to dig in at the moment, but here’s a summary:

Firearms in National Parks​

The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.
    Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.
    The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting.
    For more information about Maryland gun laws please visit the Maryland.gov website.
    For more information about Virginia gun laws please the Virginia State Law Portal website. (search for Sections 18.2-279 to 18.2-311.2)

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    It's a national seashore. Those are federal rangers there.
    Yes, but the NPS follows state carry laws. Below is from the regs on the Assateague site NPS. Not sure what I'm missing.

The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.
    Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.
    The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting.
    For more information about Maryland gun laws please visit the Maryland.gov website.
    For more information about Virginia gun laws please the Virginia State Law Portal website. (search for Sections 18.2-279 to 18.2-311.2)

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Howard County code, title 19 subtitle 2: possession of firearms illegal in parks

Baltimore County 30 subtitle 2, same - no firearms. almost identical wording.

now, the penalty is not entirely clear. I think that they can confiscate the guns and ban you from the park for a time. It does not look like a criminal penalty.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Yes, but the NPS follows state carry laws. Below is from the regs on the Assateague site NPS. Not sure what I'm missing.

Assateague is a MD state park, a national park and a Virginia state park. The rules apply accordingly to the jurisdiction you are in.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Assateague is a MD state park, a national park and a Virginia state park. The rules apply accordingly to the jurisdiction you are in.
    Thanks - that makes sense. boundary map below for those wondering roughly where one stops and the other begins. So, entry from the VA side (Chincoteage) is less proscriptive than MD with regards to carry.

1659828893212.png

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Seeing as to how AA Co is putting it to the tax payers with at least one “Gun Violence” administrative position (figuring $120k/year and all the supporting staff, vehicle, flat screen tv in office on and on and on that goes with each such boondoggle) …

I think it’s safe to say requisitions have already been processed for “NO GUNS” signs for all the parks (and skating rinks and on and on) …

Not sure how they’ll stand up to MD law (I do know here in Carolina local leftist enclaves such as Asheville, Raleigh, etc. delight in posting such signs KNOWING FULL WELL they are contrary to NC law and thus get spanked in court by NC Grassroots on a regular basis … clueless as to MD law although assuming it’s not as firm ground as NC state laws on the right to carry …

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Seeing as to how AA Co is putting it to the tax payers with at least one “Gun Violence” administrative position (figuring $120k/year and all the supporting staff, vehicle, flat screen tv in office on and on and on that goes with each such boondoggle) …

I think it’s safe to say requisitions have already been processed for “NO GUNS” signs for all the parks (and skating rinks and on and on) …

Not sure how they’ll stand up to MD law (I do know here in Carolina local leftist enclaves such as Asheville, Raleigh, etc. delight in posting such signs KNOWING FULL WELL they are contrary to NC law and thus get spanked in court by NC Grassroots on a regular basis … clueless as to MD law although assuming it’s not as firm ground as NC state laws on the right to carry …
    Signs hold no legal authority- limitations on carry locations are by statute only in MD.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    How would these laws stand if they ended up challenged in court? It always seemed strange to me that some public parks can prohibit a right.
    Post Bruen, the charges would have to be dismissed unless the Prosecution can provide Text, History and Tradition banning firearms from parks that didn’t legally exist before the 14th Amendment was ratified.

THT shows that dueling was permitted in Maryland “parks” or woodlands until sometime after the War Between the States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom