• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is possible to get a MD W&C permit without a documented (successful preferred) threat to your life; owning a business in which you routinely carry enormous amounts of cash; or are an SPO of some type. It is also possible to hit to Lotto or be killed by a meteorite. On a per capita basis, I believe that all three events are equally probable.

UPDATE:

You didn't mention whether or not you were awarded your HQL. You MUST have that pre-licensing license before you can even think about touching a handgun in public.

Ummm, Nope, HQL is only required to purchase, not touch, fondle, shoot a firearm in public.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Of course not. But it IS a requirement to BUY the handgun you're getting a license to Wear and Carry. Otherwise what's the point of getting the license? Read all the words. Carefully. They convey meaning.

Apology accepted. :facepalm:

Again, nope....

C&R handguns purchased at MD FFL's do not require an HQL.

Handguns brought into the state by the OP, do not require and HQL.

And who says you have to actually purchase the handgun you carry? Most security guards don't, they use one issued to them by their employer and I know several citizens that use a firearm that belongs to a spouse for their carry firearm, and they don't have an HQL.

good luck, you're going to need it...even if you manage to convince the HPRB that your denial should be overturned, you are still only going to be able to carry while working...but if your boss says you don't need a gun to do your job or you are not self employed your chances are next to none. But don't get discouraged...national reciprocity is on the horizon and if everything goes as planned you can laugh at MD and use your VA permit...

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Is there any hope of getting a carry permit in Maryland? I am moving to Baltimore soon. I saw something about gun instructors getting a carry permit. Is this true? If so, what to I have to do?

I have a stack of handguns, carry permits and training certificates.

DO NOT TELL ME HOW MUCH MARYLAND SUCKS. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND AM FULLY AWARE OF WHAT I AM DOING. DO NOT CLUTTER UP THIS THREAD WITH WHINING. I AM GOING REGARDLESS OF YOUR OPINION. PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!

You're making assumptions that were not in to OP's question. He did NOT state that he owned a handgun already. Hence the need for an HQL to buy one after realizing the remote chance that he was awarded a W&C permit. Further, nowhere did I say that one needed an HQL to obtain a W&C permit.

As I said, read the words. All the words; ONLY the words that are there. Do not assume facts that are not present.

Actually he did in his OP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't know about huge red warnings to be just the facts mam'm , and then turn around with kneeslappers about driving a nice car in Baltimore being G&S .

That earns one observation that Baltimore is within commuting distance of three Shall Issue States.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    good luck, you're going to need it...even if you manage to convince the HPRB that your denial should be overturned, you are still only going to be able to carry while working...but if your boss says you don't need a gun to do your job or you are not self employed your chances are next to none. But don't get discouraged...national reciprocity is on the horizon and if everything goes as planned you can laugh at MD and use your VA permit...

This is definitely not absolute, I know several people, including members of this forum, who have a permit and meet the criteria bolded above.

Are the laws in MD effed up? Absolutely. But to continue to drone on with anecdotal stories is of no help to those who inquired about the process and tend to make one look more Lone Rangeresque.....

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I don't know about huge red warnings to be just the facts mam'm , and then turn around with kneeslappers about driving a nice car in Baltimore being G&S .

That earns one observation that Baltimore is within commuting distance of three Shall Issue States.

Read the "moving to maryland" thread. Most of it consists of people complaining. Here we are with people crying.

I would love to lawfully carry in Baltimore. Tonight, five savages there decided to stand in front of my girlfriend's car after the light turned green. They stood there laughing, flipping her The Bird, and swearing just for the fun of it. She was scared witless. Fortunately, Greg Ellifritz at Active Response Training and Michael Bane (Down Range Radio) have covered the topics of riots/terror and driving through crowds. I gave her precise instructions on what to do, including the 911 race.

Yes, the state sucks, but it is the hand I have been dealt for now.

My commute is between 1 hour 15 min to three and a half hours depending upon 95/495, 495 to the spur and what's going on around Tyson's Corner, VA. The commute is not practical.

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Unless you can prove there is a contract on your life, you carry large sums of cash regularly, or it is required for your employment, the chances are slim you will get a carry permit in Maryland, but not impossible.
    Just remember that if you apply and are turned down, you will have to disclose that on any future applications which may impact your ability to acquire a CCW elsewhere.

Do you work for the federal government? was your PII compromised?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is there any hope of getting a carry permit in Maryland? I am moving to Baltimore soon. I saw something about gun instructors getting a carry permit. Is this true? If so, what to I have to do?

I have a stack of handguns, carry permits and training certificates.

DO NOT TELL ME HOW MUCH MARYLAND SUCKS. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND AM FULLY AWARE OF WHAT I AM DOING. DO NOT CLUTTER UP THIS THREAD WITH WHINING. I AM GOING REGARDLESS OF YOUR OPINION. PLEASE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!

What about driving an expensive car? Would that count? I've gotten "the look" driving around Baltimore.

Read the "moving to maryland" thread. Most of it consists of people complaining. Here we are with people crying.

I would love to lawfully carry in Baltimore. Tonight, five savages there decided to stand in front of my girlfriend's car after the light turned green. They stood there laughing, flipping her The Bird, and swearing just for the fun of it. She was scared witless. Fortunately, Greg Ellifritz at Active Response Training and Michael Bane (Down Range Radio) have covered the topics of riots/terror and driving through crowds. I gave her precise instructions on what to do, including the 911 race.

Yes, the state sucks, but it is the hand I have been dealt for now.

My commute is between 1 hour 15 min to three and a half hours depending upon 95/495, 495 to the spur and what's going on around Tyson's Corner, VA. The commute is not practical.

If this is your G&S reason for a permit, I think you're going to be VERY disappointed in the state of Maryland.

Other than saying you drive a nice car, you haven't really given us any reason to believe you will be granted the right to carry while a Maryland resident.

As for your girlfriend's experience, welcome to Maryland. And if you think by having a permit would have changed anything, you're sadly mistaken. Maryland in many respects is like a third world country. Different areas are ruled by different gangs/factions. The police are only there to take reports and to help after the fact. They can't be everywhere crime is occurring.

Welcome to Maryland.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Thank you dlas. I figure I can go a year without buying a handgun. Oh, who am I kidding? I will probably buy several!

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    While I am not bragging, well maybe a little I want to again thank DBLAS for his help in calming my nerves before I went to the HPRB. I really wish I could be there but alas I work on Tuesday night and I am a no play no pay king of worker. It would cost me a good bit to come and watch the circus but I do read the whole HPRB tread and have much sympathy for the masses in MD. Since receiving my unrestricted permit I have never left the house without my firearm although that will change tomorrow as I have a job on APG so no gun for me.

NOBODY

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Unless you can prove there is a contract on your life, you carry large sums of cash regularly, or it is required for your employment, the chances are slim you will get a carry permit in Maryland, but not impossible.
    Just remember that if you apply and are turned down, you will have to disclose that on any future applications which may impact your ability to acquire a CCW elsewhere.

Absolutely false. The largest amount of cash I presented was $600, the other 5 deposit slips they requested were checks only.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    While I am not bragging, well maybe a little I want to again thank DBLAS for his help in calming my nerves before I went to the HPRB. I really wish I could be there but alas I work on Tuesday night and I am a no play no pay king of worker. It would cost me a good bit to come and watch the circus but I do read the whole HPRB tread and have much sympathy for the masses in MD. Since receiving my unrestricted permit I have never left the house without my firearm although that will change tomorrow as I have a job on APG so no gun for me.

NOBODY

aw shucks......you had it under control and knew what you were doing and how you were going to do it. I just made a few suggestions, but it was all you.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    A Dale Carnegie graduate to be sure.

Like you said, does not warrant a response. If he knows so much about MD, he doesn't need to be asking here. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. Me and a ton of other loyal Patriots don't even bother...we tote when the Condition warrants, period!

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)
    Korea, Vietnam (2), W. Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom