• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    So my wife has finally decided to get her first (and most likely ever) handgun. I’ve told her that she can have anything she wants as long as it’s 9mm.

For myself, I know what feels good in my hands, and know how to select a handgun. FYI I like the full sized Berettas and SIGs for home defense, and I have a SIG 365X for concealed carry. But what I like most likely won’t be the right fit for her.

A good friend suggested the Walther model below for her. It claims to be specifically designed for women (grip size and trigger reach, decreased slide pull, etc.)

Does anyone have any experience with them? If so what do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    My wife carries a series F Walther PDP and loves it. She used it in her carry permit training so she has fired it quite a bit. It fits the feminine hand, has a selection of three backstraps, and is somewhat easier to cycle. I highly recommend it.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    The PDP-F is so nice I liked it too!

If 9mm does not make her flinch it will be fine.

But if it does, a .380ACP like an LCP Max or Security .380 may work better. (And less expensive)

It's really up to her ability and comfort.

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    So my wife has finally decided to get her first (and most likely ever) handgun. I’ve told her that she can have anything she wants as long as it’s 9mm.

Thanks!
    Send her to one of The Well Armed Women groups.

Most women appreciate guidance and information from female instructors, so she can make her best choice.

Host Range: Cindy's Hot Shots

115-C Holsum Way

Glen Burnie MD 21060

Chapter Leaders: Jeanne Rieken, Lisa Gallagher, Wendy Hannon, Shawntay Fenyo,

More Chapter Information:

The Anne Arundel County Chapter meets on the 2nd Monday each month. We host a one hour meeting and one hour of range time supervised by AWA Chapter Leaders and Range RSO's.

Meetings are the 2nd Monday each month, 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
    ----------
    Free State Gun Range

11500 Crossroads Circle Suite J

Middle River, MD 21220

Chapter Leaders: Jeanne Rieken
    Brenda Scarborough
    Esti Rosenberg
    JoAnn Voelker
    Lisa Gallagher
    Wendy Hannon

More Chapter Information:

The Central Maryland Chapter meets the 2nd Sunday of each month. Please email us at awa.centralmd@gmail.com to confirm meeting dates, times, and location. We have guest speakers and we shoot both handguns and rifles. Our home range is Freestate Gun Range. Our goal is to shoot together, and to equip and educate other women together in the Central Maryland area.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

For myself, I know what feels good in my hands, and know how to select a handgun. FYI I like the full sized Berettas and SIGs for home defense, and I have a SIG 365X for concealed carry. But what I like most likely won’t be the right fit for her.

A good friend suggested the Walther model below for her. It claims to be specifically designed for women (grip size and trigger reach, decreased slide pull, etc.)

Does anyone have any experience with them? If so what do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    My buddy got one for his wife. The slide is very easy to rack. It fit my hand ok. His wife likes it. I have not shot it but did handle it. Decent trigger too. When they bought it the guy sold it to them based on it being easier for women to operate.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I’ve spent extensive time with the F- series. It feels great in the hand and looks great. I was between this (PDP-F) and PDP 4” compact.

While both felt great in hand, the results at the range told a different story for me. I was more accurate with the compact over several other models including my carry at the time and the F-series. I promptly decided to get one (4” compact) since it fit me so well.

Lesson learned: Even if it feels great in your hand (or your wife’s hand), make sure the results at the range show that it is optimal for you (or the intended shooter).

Good luck!

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    happy-young-woman-holding-mop-bucket-filled-cleaning-pr-products-isolated-white-background-81145002.jpg
    Sean-Strickland-A-Woman-In-Every-Kitchenn-A-Gun-In-Every-Hand-Sean-2024-Strickland-Shirt-800x800.jpg

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    My wife spent considerable time fondling a Glock 43x during our last trip to a gun store. I suggest you take her to one or more stores and let her see how different guns feel in her hand, and how well she does racking the slide. Renting and shooting different guns at the range may save you/her from buying a gun she dislikes.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My wife spent considerable time fondling a Glock 43x during our last trip to a gun store. I suggest you take her to one or more stores and let her see how different guns feel in her hand, and how well she does racking the slide. Renting and shooting different guns at the range may save you/her from buying a gun she dislikes.
    This. I certainly wouldn't limit the choices to guns made for women.

The Women on Target is also a great idea.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'll give you my standard advice. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her try a bunch of them. What "feels good in the hand" may not equate to "she can actually shoot it well." YMMV.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Just treat her like any other person without regard to her being a woman. She should make her own choice based on what works best for her when she tries it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My wife's favorite pistol is her CZ 75 Tac-2. It's a heavy, full-sized steel pistol that she shoots alarmingly well. But of course she doesn't want to carry it. Right now she's carrying an LCP-2, but thinks an LCP Max would be better (one mag in, and a single spare gets her where she'd otherwise need 3 mags with the LCP-2). Only problem is the LCP Max's sight picture involves covering the target WAY more than her lifelong iron sights instincts wants to tolerate (yes, she knows she's far more likely to just point shoot with that .380 if it ever came down to it). She's now pondering going back to her Max-9, which she'd sort of walked away from for slightly chunky feel - but she's liking the idea of coming back to 9mm. I'm wondering if I can talk her in to a P365 variant so we can share mags other related bits.

Check out the S&W 9mm EZ, from an ergonomic perspective. Might suit your wife's hands. We have one in .380, and it's a total cream puff for smaller/weaker hands to operate ... but it's still pretty large for a single stack pistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This. I certainly wouldn't limit the choices to guns made for women.

And then you had 2 put of 3 of the original ( modern Era) Ladysmith actually having meaningful improvements over the standard versions. So much so , that many guys prefered them .

S&W actually then had to bring out a M3913 NL ( for Non Ladysmith) that had the frame , slide , and safety configuration of the Ladysmith, but didn't say Ladysmith on the side .

( Personally, I am secure enough to shoot Mrs Biggfoot's M65 Ladysmith as is .) ( Yes , it had a bbl and shroud configuration never used on any other K Frame)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But seriously:

Women are people too .
    You or We can't guess what they would shoot well / generally prefer .

THEY have to try various guns for themselves. Sometimes it will be in line with stereotypes and marketing hype , Sometimes will be unexpected.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Five shot .38 Special by Smith and Wesson or Taurus. Why? Reliable. More reliable than any auto for a new shooter. Accurate at the range she'd need it which is 1 inch to 5 yards. Powerful. Concealable. Most important is reliability. No auto is as reliable as a quality revolver with quality ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom