• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Gawd, what is this world coming to? Granted, I grew up in Nebraska where things are a bit more sane, and where the population was sparse enough that farmers in the field wouldn't have to worry about some random game warden coming onto their property (I think we had two who patrolled our entire area of the state) but I know that when we had the farm, Dad usually kept a lever gun in the pickup for the random coyote, jackrabbit, etc. That's just the way it was back then. If you saw a coyote across the field, you didn't want to have to take the time to fumble with ammo, loading, etc - you grabbed the gun, either levered in a round or cocked it if there was round in the chamber, and then you dispatched the varmint.

This seems like a really random yet not random question. If it was my private property, I wouldn't expect to have NPR come on to my land out of randomness.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Article 10 is not enforceable by * only * game warden . It is a Statute enforceable by any LE in the state .

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, things are always worth discussing but sometimes I think some people should consider not owning firearms. Not directing towards the OP

Just throwing that out there (as something else to think about) how stress free/less anxiety your life would be not going into hypertension and constantly checking your mirrors when a marked cop car is behind you on the way to the range.

Or getting consumed over the possibility a green NRP pickup truck is going to pull a u turn and 4x4 power into your backyard "Woop Woop" while you're on your garden tractor

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just throwing that out there (as something else to think about) how stress free/less anxiety your life would be not going into hypertension and constantly checking your mirrors when a marked cop car is behind you on the way to the range.

Or getting consumed over the possibility a green NRP pickup truck is going to pull a u turn and 4x4 power into your backyard "Woop Woop" while you're on your garden tractor
    There are certainly people who ramp up the paranoia factor when it comes to life and/or the firearms they own. There was a guy on here a week or so ago all bent and worried because he thought that some door-to-door solicitors were planning a home invasion, rather than the more likely scenario that they were going to try to drop some advertising materials in his door. This dude was all ready to respond with deadly force - had a mag loaded in his AR with his finger on the bolt-release. Like, seriously dude? Try decaf.

I never spaz or check my mirrors when I'm headed to the range. My stuff is packed neatly and legally in the trunk, and I'm not going to be the guy that an LEO is going to try to search - I'm your typical clean-cut suburbanite middle aged man - even if I get pulled over for speeding or having a tail-light out, there's no reason an LEO is going to want to look in my trunk, and even if they did, there's nothing to be alarmed about - they'd find a range bag neatly organized for a legal range trip. My car is also very neat - I don't have anything in my car I don't need, and absolutely no trash.

Besides, in the 35 years I've had a drivers license I have never ever been searched after having been pulled over. I've never even been asked to step out of the car. I can't fathom a reason an LEO would construct a reason to want to search my car.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    This law is hazy, like other laws on the books.

About 7-8 yrs ago, my friends and I were on our private hunting property for opening of Shotgun deer season.
    The "parking lot" where we all leave our trucks and trailers, etc, is about 25 yrds from the gate. This day, our gate was open.

All of us had come out of the woods for lunch, and were sitting around the parking lot BS'ing and such. Remember I said we left the main gate open? Well in comes a DNR cop. She proceeds to make small talk for a few mins, then starts to walk over to everyone's ATV's. We all have a shotgun mounted on an ATV gun rack, all unloaded, except for 1 guy.
    He has a Rem 870 with the chamber open, but 2 rds in the tube.

To make a long story short, he gets a ticket for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle.
    Again, this is PRIVATE property. We have a Legal lease agreement with the land owner.

The biggest mistake we made was leaving our gate open. The reason I said this is that DNR Cannot enter private property through a locked entrance gate Unless they have a complaint to follow up on. Mind you, a complaint that you can verify. If the DNR officer is on your property on a fishing expedition, they are in fact trespassing.

The friend that got the ticket had to go and fight it. He is a licensed fireworks manufacturer and was worried it would affect his license. In the end, he still had to pay the ticket, but didn't lose his fireworks license.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert

About 7-8 yrs ago, my friends and I were on our private hunting property for opening of Shotgun deer season.
    The "parking lot" where we all leave our trucks and trailers, etc, is about 25 yrds from the gate. This day, our gate was open.

All of us had come out of the woods for lunch, and were sitting around the parking lot BS'ing and such. Remember I said we left the main gate open? Well in comes a DNR cop. She proceeds to make small talk for a few mins, then starts to walk over to everyone's ATV's. We all have a shotgun mounted on an ATV gun rack, all unloaded, except for 1 guy.

To make a long story short, he gets a ticket for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle.
    Again, this is PRIVATE property. We have a Legal lease agreement with the land owner.

The biggest mistake we made was leaving our gate open. The reason I said this is that DNR Cannot enter private property through a locked entrance gate Unless they have a complaint to follow up on. Mind you, a complaint that you can verify. If the DNR officer is on your property on a fishing expedition, they are in fact trespassing.

The friend that got the ticket had to go and fight it. He is a licensed fireworks manufacturer and was worried it would affect his license. In the end, he still had to pay the ticket, but didn't lose his fireworks license.

The bolded portion is incorrect. The "Open Fields" doctrine is questionable but has not been struck down. Basically any area that's not immediately around a residence is open season for DNR to go on a fishing expedition, regardless if its posted or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-fields_doctrine

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Besides, in the 35 years I've had a drivers license I have never ever been searched after having been pulled over. I've never even been asked to step out of the car. I can't fathom a reason an LEO would construct a reason to want to search my car.

I trust you would deny them permission to search, if asked.

One time a Park Police officer pulled me over for speeding. He asked if I had any weapons in the car. This was in DC just off Rock Creek/Blagden Ave.

I manfully resisted telling him "I am the weapon".

Just say no.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

It’s that sort of thing that worries me. Not so worried I’d have a loaded firearm in a personal vehicle. But the kind of thing if I had a loaded lever gun on an ATV doing some work on my property in hunting season (or otherwise) and an NRP decides to swing on by or happens to see me on an ATV comes on over to “say hi”. And I get ticketed.

Of course in your example it wouldn’t exactly apply as ya’ll had the lease, but it wasn’t your personal real estate or where you reside. So a hunting lease wouldn’t exempt you for sure.

But it’s still the sort of example I am worried about. A vehicle that isn’t an ATV or work truck on my private property isn’t really a concern (for me personally). Now Maryland’s existing laws on OC and CCW would be nice if they got overturned…

Just on my 4 1/2 acres there’s been plenty of times if I’d had a revolver on me or a 22 on my lawn tractor or whatever (something handy) there’s be a dead ground hog, rather than one I ended up playing cat and mouse with for several weeks. With a desire for 20+ acres some day I can see plenty of times doing work on the property where having something handy would be damned nice. Especially since my wife would like more farm animals.

Once or twice now rounded the chicken coop and had a Fox run off.

More rural, yeah I’d probably carry around a revolver more often. But I’d also just as likely carry a 22 in a case on an ATV or in an old beat up pickup if that works better for my needs. Be nice if it can just be left loaded rather than fumbling around to load it.

Working around such a property I have no real self defense concerns from people or animals. But pest/livestock predator concerns I do. It’s hypothetical for another couple of years anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

One time a Park Police officer pulled me over for speeding. He asked if I had any weapons in the car. This was in DC just off Rock Creek/Blagden Ave.

Just say no.

“Just my seven inch swinging cod, sir”

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Just say no.
    I would politely ask if they have cause to search/tell them no. Often times it comes across really innocuous, like, "ok...would you mind if I took a look in your car?" Real friendly like.

Yes. Yes I would mind, no you may not search. Get a ****ing warrant.

This from a guy who literally has absolutely nothing in the car - random crap in the console, like charging cables, some extra in-ears headphones in case I forget my main pair for a rehearsal, and absolutely nothing in the trunk of my car.

I've got nothing to hide, but I'd like to protect my rights all the same. I'm about as squeaky clean as they come. I pretty much only drink at home when I drink, I do not drink and drive, I've never done a single illicit drug in my life, and other than being a bit heavy footed, I obey the law to the best of my ability.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Someone needs to go tell the folks from "Yukon Men" bout these rules/regs,,, Their entire life consists of a loaded AR across their back and pistol in the belt as they are on their ATV or Sled,,

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Someone needs to go tell the folks from "Yukon Men" bout these rules/regs,,, Their entire life consists of a loaded AR across their back and pistol in the belt as they are on their ATV or Sled,,

I don't know about the Yukon but I know about Dorco,Caro and Wico county.
    You go traipsing around on ATv with a hot rifle especially during hunting season someone may want to talk to you about what they find during a safety check.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I hate this state so much.

When property owners have to debate whether the law allows them to carry a rifle on their own property, and are concerned because only handguns are allowed.....again ON. THEIR. OWN. PROPERTY.

then it is time to flush the state and start over.

The conversation should go like this: I will carry whatever I damn well please on my own property. If the state wants to regulate it so bad, they can buy it from me, for. my asking price. Until then, piss off and get a warrant.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sounds like an excuse for a new gun.

S&W M&P 15-22 pistol

Detachable mags if needed (but I don't think you need to on your own property)

It's on the roster too.

13321_3Quarter_Left_LC.png

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like an excuse for a new gun.

S&W M&P 15-22 pistol

Detachable mags if needed (but I don't think you need to on your own property)

It's on the roster too.

13321_3Quarter_Left_LC.png

I'll see your M&P pistol and raise you one CMMG SBR...:lol2:

Attachments

• 22sbr.jpg
      22sbr.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 206

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    BGOS seems contagious in this thread. Come on my property with a gun, my vision isn't so good sometime. Anyone can dress like a cop. Are you a hooker? Richard Pryor weeps/.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    There are certainly people who ramp up the paranoia factor when it comes to life and/or the firearms they own. There was a guy on here a week or so ago all bent and worried because he thought that some door-to-door solicitors were planning a home invasion, rather than the more likely scenario that they were going to try to drop some advertising materials in his door. This dude was all ready to respond with deadly force - had a mag loaded in his AR with his finger on the bolt-release. Like, seriously dude? Try decaf.

I never spaz or check my mirrors when I'm headed to the range. My stuff is packed neatly and legally in the trunk, and I'm not going to be the guy that an LEO is going to try to search - I'm your typical clean-cut suburbanite middle aged man - even if I get pulled over for speeding or having a tail-light out, there's no reason an LEO is going to want to look in my trunk, and even if they did, there's nothing to be alarmed about - they'd find a range bag neatly organized for a legal range trip. My car is also very neat - I don't have anything in my car I don't need, and absolutely no trash.

Well I'm no criminal, never have been and don't plan on being one anytime soon but I've been stopped and searched multiple times. Never had anything illegal in any instances. I have also been pulled over twice (both times in Charles county with firearms in the car) and not searched.
    Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have direct experience with this topic in MD and can confirm much of the prior info is accurate...

1) Open Fields Doctrine is legit, legal, and no judges are going to strike it down. DNR can come onto your property and can do so for any reason whatsoever whenever they chose. No warrant or even requirement to state probable cause needed.

2) NO LOADED firearms in or on any vehicle period, even on your own property, EVER, without a HD Hunting permit or CC license.. This includes ATV's, UTV, bikes, and for all I know, garden carts, skateboards and unicycles...

My experience was an innocent error where someone left a rifle in an ATV mounted rack, however, after a 3 trips to court, including appeals, it is how it is in MD and it ain't gonna change.. I tried the uphill fight and even found an attorney to fight at reduced cost, to get the chance to argue against "Open Fields" . All to no avail.

At the end of my efforts, the judge actually pulled me aside to tell me "no judge in this State, is going to take away the Open Fields doctrine" as a tool to DNR, no matter how wrong it is... Absolutely maddening...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have direct experience with this topic in MD and can confirm much of the prior info is accurate...

1) Open Fields Doctrine is legit, legal, and no judges are going to strike it down. DNR can come onto your property and can do so for any reason whatsoever whenever they chose. No warrant or even requirement to state probable cause needed.

2) NO LOADED firearms in or on any vehicle period, even on your own property, EVER, without a HD Hunting permit or CC license.. This includes ATV's, UTV, bikes, and for all I know, garden carts, skateboards and unicycles...

My experience was an innocent error where someone left a rifle in an ATV mounted rack, however, after a 3 trips to court, including appeals, it is how it is in MD and it ain't gonna change.. I tried the uphill fight and even found an attorney to fight at reduced cost, to get the chance to argue against "Open Fields" . All to no avail.

At the end of my efforts, the judge actually pulled me aside to tell me "no judge in this State, is going to take away the Open Fields doctrine" as a tool to DNR, no matter how wrong it is... Absolutely maddening...

You don’t need a CC permit to carry a handgun concealed in your vehicle on your own property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom