• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    We were talking about how much cash we should have in the safe for that just in case moment when your plastic is no good , First thing that comes to mind is a prolonged loss of power , My biggest fear is not being able to get more Gas or Propane because it's Cash only , I know in a total meltdown cash will only be valuable for a short time , I told my Girl friend that I would feel good with 10 Grand , She thinks that is to much and it's better to leave it in the bank , I said that's fine if you can get to it .How much do you keep

I keep about seven thousand for myself in a safe at home. Ii also have a couple hundred in rolled coins. It makes it tempting to buy a new gun when you come across something and you like it but oh well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I should start a program to add smaller bills and coins.

Heck at $20 a month, it will add up nicely

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    The Deutsche Bundesbank would disagree.

From Wikipedia: "The Deutsche Bundesbank has guaranteed that all German marks in cash form may be changed into euros indefinitely, and one may do so in person at any branch of the Bundesbank in Germany. Banknotes and coins can even be sent to the Bundesbank by mail. In 2012, it was estimated that as many as 13.2 billion marks were in circulation, with one poll showing a narrow majority of Germans favouring the currency's restoration..."

From Wikipedia????? That's like quoting CNN... :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From Wikipedia????? That's like quoting CNN... :lol2:

Other sources

It is still possible to exchange Deutsche Marks (commonly known in English as Deutschmarks and in German as D-Marks or Marks) for euros at Germany's central bank, even though the currency has not been used for 18 years.

Brian Capon of the British Bankers' Association, replies: Most pre-euro national currencies can still be exchanged for euros but only at the central bank in the countries concerned.

Although German mark notes and coins are no longer legal tender, most of those issued after June 20, 1948 can be exchanged for the equivalent value in euro at Deutsche Bundesbank branches or by post.

One euro is worth 1.956 marks.

There is no limit to the amount that can be exchanged and no time limit in which this has to be done.

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    My Scenario

I am working toward this....

1 Part Cash

3 Parts Bitcoin

5 Parts tradeable and sellable items that can be resold for 90+ % value in good times such as ammo. Also, as many antibiotics etc...as possible though can't resell these

Example:

$20K in cash smaller bills not 50's and 100's for the early weeks

$60K in Bitcoin

$100K in Ammo, extra firearms, meds, med equipment

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am working toward this....

1 Part Cash

3 Parts Bitcoin

5 Parts tradeable and sellable items that can be resold for 90+ % value in good times such as ammo. Also, as many antibiotics etc...as possible though can't resell these

Example:

$20K in cash smaller bills not 50's and 100's for the early weeks

$60K in Bitcoin

$100K in Ammo, extra firearms, meds, med equipment

Don't forget the box with guns, blank passports, and money under the poured concrete in the basement.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, bit coin.

A currency not backed by ANYTHING, that is totally electronic/internet based.

Not exactly SHTF safe.

I would rather have precious metals/stones.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Hmm, bit coin.

A currency not backed by ANYTHING, that is totally electronic/internet based.

Not exactly SHTF safe.

I would rather have precious metals/stones.

This... I know that some folks are making a killing on BITCOIN, but I could never wrap my head around it. To me it seems like the ultimate FIAT money (even worse than the dollar, which is at least backed by US reputation and military strength)... with the added complications of being completely electronic based.

I wish everyone well who has invested in BITCOIN, but for my taste, I'll take a cigar box of Au, Ag, and Pt coins.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Bitcoin not my cup of tea...either.

BUT, if my plans included the possibility of flight...across borders...THEN I might consider adding it to the mix.

It’s a risk on many fronts. The calculus for whether that risk is worth it is an individual one.

For me, it’s kinda like trusting a red head to be sane and rational at her favorite bar.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    This... I know that some folks are making a killing on BITCOIN, but I could never wrap my head around it. To me it seems like the ultimate FIAT money (even worse than the dollar, which is at least backed by US reputation and military strength)... with the added complications of being completely electronic based.

I wish everyone well who has invested in BITCOIN, but for my taste, I'll take a cigar box of Au, Ag, and Pt coins.

This.....

A "1" gets turned into a "0" and poof, millions gone instantly.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Bitcoin - I recall a news story about a Canadian guy who ran a bitcoin exchange. Dude died early, and did not leave the passwords where anyone could find them. So a bunch of investors now can't get to their bitcoin holdings. There's millions trapped. Maybe they've got it sorted out by now; this was a few months back.

Think I'll hold off awhile longer.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I just can't get in to the bitcoin thing , I trust Cash for the beginning when things go south , Silver US coins for regular purchases , Silver Bars or Rounds for more expensive things and Gold for even larger things and for carrying my savings forward . Bitcoins will disappear when the power does

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I could see trading in Bitcoin to make money.

But to invest for SHTF makes no sense. No power, no Bitcoin. No internet, no Bitcoin.

And add that it has no value and no backing......

For SHTF, it is cash, precious metals, and ammo.

IMO, .22 LR would be the coin of the realm in a real SHTF situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom