• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    You guys/gals that cast your own bullets, have you ever been tempted to cast some in silver?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Do you have a furnace hot enough to melt silver?

I've thought about it. Thought about trying MAPP gas.

I know one of my electric kilns would melt it.

The trick is getting in there with a pouring ladle with out melt my arm.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Do you have a furnace hot enough to melt silver?

I've thought about it. Thought about trying MAPP gas.

I know one of my electric kilns would melt it.

The trick is getting in there with a pouring ladle with out melt my arm.
    I don't have the setup to cast bullets, just wanted to know if anyone here had done it. I think it would be kinda cool to have six silver bullets, maybe stuck in the loops on a gun belt....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I asked earlier. Still haven't gotten a real how-to. I think a better way to do it is have a jeweler make silver balls that are all a specific diameter, then cast the rest of the bullet out of lead.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Those are more of a novelty. I am talking about casting real bullets but from silver instead of lead. After the silver bullet is cast, you could make a functional round with it.

...and I thought reloading .500 S&W Magnum was expensive! Would one ever want to actually shoot the silver bullet(s)? So therefore wouldn't they be "novelty" anyway if all you're going to do is put them on your belt?

But interesting idea, though. Would be good conversation pieces.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It can be done of course. Finding cheap sterling silverware would probably be the least costly manner. Temps need to be about 1775-2000 degrees. Molds would have to be close to that temp in order to get a good flow. It could be done, but I don't know if it's going to be worth the effort.

I do believe I remember some vendor selling silver bullets for the 30-30 round and probably for the 45LC too, many years ago. Might want to check with the Cowboy shooters and see if they have a vendor. The Lone Ranger I believe used silver bullets, so maybe someone in that industry could help you.

Good Luck!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    To cast silver objects there are several processes that have been used over time including sand, cuttlefish bone, tulfa (a type of stone), but the one most commonly used and the one that provides the most accurate dimensions is lost wax casting. Any jeweler or artist who does lost wax casting could cast silver bullets with no problem. If you would supply them with a lead bullet you wanted copied they could make a mold for making the wax patterns and cast as many as you could afford. You could even duplicate hollow point or even make ones with real "Gold" dots. There are even companies that provide the service made from your pattern. Look for Jewelry casting.

This will get you started:
    https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/casting-equipment-and-supplies

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Guns n Ammo did it 10+ years ago. Google might find it. I will say the 45LC killed the steel target they shot an a couple of molds.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Guns n Ammo did it 10+ years ago. Google might find it. I will say the 45LC killed the steel target they shot an a couple of molds.

I think it was way more then ten years ago ;)... I remember that they also ruined their lead pan (for lack of a better description) by burning it up before the silver melted and had some trouble with pressures and damage to the rifling.

Good luck

Jerry

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    ...and I thought reloading .500 S&W Magnum was expensive! Would one ever want to actually shoot the silver bullet(s)? So therefore wouldn't they be "novelty" anyway if all you're going to do is put them on your belt?

But interesting idea, though. Would be good conversation pieces.

I guess to most, but not to me. I would probably not shoot them, ok, I would shoot one just because.... I agree, they would make great conversation pieces.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Two words Tonto
    Chamber Pressure
    Thanks for the heads up.
    It can be done of course. Finding cheap sterling silverware would probably be the least costly manner. Temps need to be about 1775-2000 degrees. Molds would have to be close to that temp in order to get a good flow. It could be done, but I don't know if it's going to be worth the effort.

I do believe I remember some vendor selling silver bullets for the 30-30 round and probably for the 45LC too, many years ago. Might want to check with the Cowboy shooters and see if they have a vendor. The Lone Ranger I believe used silver bullets, so maybe someone in that industry could help you.

Good Luck!
    Here is the sad part, I would have used some silver bars to make them.
    i read an online article about someone who went through the process because of an author's story they read and wanted to see how easy it would be. Turns out it ain't all that easy

To cast silver objects there are several processes that have been used over time including sand, cuttlefish bone, tulfa (a type of stone), but the one most commonly used and the one that provides the most accurate dimensions is lost wax casting. Any jeweler or artist who does lost wax casting could cast silver bullets with no problem. If you would supply them with a lead bullet you wanted copied they could make a mold for making the wax patterns and cast as many as you could afford. You could even duplicate hollow point or even make ones with real "Gold" dots. There are even companies that provide the service made from your pattern. Look for Jewelry casting.

This will get you started:
    https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/casting-equipment-and-supplies
    I found out what you are saying is so true.

Just make some UV rounds.
    Hardy har har......:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom