• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's a purty shotgun, and if it's doing it for you, then it's doing it for you.

I've pretty much settled in on a CZ Redhead Premier Target, and I can get it for just a touch over a grand through the discount program, which is pretty solid for a $1500 MSRP gun. The trick is finding a LE/Mil dealer so I can take advantage of the discounted price.

I don't "have" to sell anything to offset the purchase of this, but the truth is, every time I go to the range, one gun I have that's a great gun, but I always seem to pass over, is my H&K USP 45. It just seems that whenever I'm looking to shoot a 45, I invariably grab one of my 1911s. I don't think I'd be sad to let it go. Maybe. I also have a Walther P99 that I never seem to shoot anymore, and I could probably be convinced to part with that one too.

So this is something else I discovered. I only thought I had the long barrel on my 870. It turns out that I had put the short barrel on it so that it was easier to store in the safe. The barrel I had on it was a 25.5 inch. I'd like to take it out again with the 30 inch barrel on it to see if I'd do better. IIRC, back with Dad I always shot better with that longer barrel.

CZs are great guns for the money. My BIL shoots a Redhead and loves it. It's a good choice for the money for sure. I use my shotguns for dual purposes, hunting and trap/skeet/sporting clays. I already have a TriStart Raptor for my sneak boat hunting on the Monocacy because I didn't want to worry about dumping one of my less replaceable classic Remingtons should I capsize. The same goes for an O/U in the field for pheasants. I can't (currently) justify north of $1k for a gun that's going to spend the day getting whacked by brush and crops and smeared with blood, mud, and feathers several times a year. Someday, I certainly will, but for now, cheap but reliable fits the bill.

I'm with you on the second part of your post. I keep asking myself "Why do I hold onto (this or that gun) when I haven't shot it or even looked at it in years?" I keep telling myself I'll trade them in at some point on a much nicer firearm, but I've yet to do so.

Regarding the longer barrel. I find that I do better with a 30" vs a 26" as there seems to be a smoother swing for me if that makes sense. It also balances better IMHO.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    First, Merry Christmas everyone - I hope that for those of you who celebrate Christmas that you had a wonderful couple of days.

I've been googling around, and there seems to be a couple of common themes:

1. Any double shotgun that's $1000 or less is pure junk and should be avoided
    2. You HAVE to get at least a Browning or Beretta - nothing else will do

All of this is well and good, but my budget, give or take, based on the things I'm looking to sell to fund it, is roughly $1000. I might be able to stretch that some, but not much.

Again, I'm looking for a gun I can take to the trap range maybe 5-10 times a year, and something that would be just as at home hunting pheasants in a wheat stubble field back where I grew up in Nebraska.

I'm somewhat in the same situation. I've shot trap with various shotguns, and if you want to have fun, you've got to spend a little more money, or you're just wasting shot and shell. A pump is a waste of time, and an auto will get everyone pissed off at you on the line, so the only choice is an O/U. If you can get one with an adjustable stock, you will be happier in the long run.

I'm looking at Blaser; however, they are in the $5,000 price range. The Browning Citori is in the $2,700 price range. Beretta 694 is $6,000. All have adjustable stocks.

On the lower end with solid stocks. The Franchi Instinct is between $1,800 and $2,200. Beretta Silver Pigeon is around $2,000. Rizzini is around $1,900. These will probably not win matches but will not be as frustrating as less expensive models.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    So this is something else I discovered. I only thought I had the long barrel on my 870. It turns out that I had put the short barrel on it so that it was easier to store in the safe. The barrel I had on it was a 25.5 inch. I'd like to take it out again with the 30 inch barrel on it to see if I'd do better. IIRC, back with Dad I always shot better with that longer barrel.
    Mine was only 28 and it was plenty long...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Consider a Remington 870 trap barrel. Check Gun broker.

For trap you'll never go wrong with a BT99, used is fine.
    My long barrel would suffice - it's the same length as the 870 trap barrel. I think the main differences are that the trap barrel has the bead halfway down the barrel, and my bead is just a simple silver bead.

I'm somewhat in the same situation. I've shot trap with various shotguns, and if you want to have fun, you've got to spend a little more money, or you're just wasting shot and shell. A pump is a waste of time, and an auto will get everyone pissed off at you on the line, so the only choice is an O/U. If you can get one with an adjustable stock, you will be happier in the long run.

I'm looking at Blaser; however, they are in the $5,000 price range. The Browning Citori is in the $2,700 price range. Beretta 694 is $6,000. All have adjustable stocks.

On the lower end with solid stocks. The Franchi Instinct is between $1,800 and $2,200. Beretta Silver Pigeon is around $2,000. Rizzini is around $1,900. These will probably not win matches but will not be as frustrating as less expensive models.
    I'm not going to spend that much - it's just not going to happen. I'll spend a grand, and that's my limit. I don't think for a minute that I'm going to be disappointed with a $1500 MSRP CZ O/U shotgun.

I also don't think a pump is a waste of time. Back when my Dad was winning trap and skeet trophies, he was doing it with a Winchester Model 12. The guy who was shooting as good if not better than anyone in the group the other day was shooting a camo 870. It also didn't seem to be inhibiting me in any way.

I don't for a minute think I "need" anything else. I had a great time, I think it's something I'd like to do a bit more of, and it gives me the excuse to shop for a new gun. I'm not even remotely close to the point of thinking I need something with adjustable anything.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Trap guns typically have a bit different stock configurations and higher ribs in general. If that is all you plan on shooting most LGS that carry them can advise accordingly. If you want a more all around SG the options are limitless. One thing I can tell you from personal experience and those of many folks I shoot with is to try and buy once and cry once. That said, budget dictates for all of us and more than anything any decent shotgun can work over multiple disciplines, but it has to FIT YOU. I learned that the hard way over several different guns. I’ve owned CZ O/U, browning, CG and others. After tons of practice and tournament rounds I ended up going back to the platform that fit ME best. I hunt with a beretta A400, so I bought a Coles A400 clays gun. I shoot mostly sporting so with 30” barrels and it fit like a glove and now I am comfortable with the same platform for clays and hunting. A semi is what works for me and I’m happy. No matter what you get I can’t encourage getting fit more strenuously.

Good luck with your search and enjoy breaking as many as you can. It’s definitely an addiction. :thumbsup:
    I've been using my Beretta 391 Teknys semi for skeet and sporting clays now for a couple decades. The thing I like about the Beretta semis is that the stock can be adjusted for cant, drop, and length of pull and they can be had at a decent price.

For trap, I have a Beretta 682 Super Trap combo that is a single and double barrel set.

OP - what I would suggest is an entry level Beretta like the Beretta 686 or the entry level Browning, which was the Citori Lightning when I last researched this subject 30 years ago (i.e., Beretta v. Browning). Neither of those guns are "cheap", but they will last you a life time and they are a joy to shoot (if the Browning fits you).

Sure, you can go with a Tristar or a Stoeger, but you get what you pay for. The Beretta and Browning will also hold their value, should you decide the clay sports are not for you.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    OP - what I would suggest is an entry level Beretta like the Beretta 686 or the entry level Browning, which was the Citori Lightning when I last researched this subject 30 years ago (i.e., Beretta v. Browning). Neither of those guns are "cheap", but they will last you a life time and they are a joy to shoot (if the Browning fits you).

Sure, you can go with a Tristar or a Stoeger, but you get what you pay for. The Beretta and Browning will also hold their value, should you decide the clay sports are not for you.
    Gotta love it - I know that there are a lot of well-meaning folks in this thread, but this thread was started with me stating pretty clearly that I might shoot trap 10 times a year - maybe - and that it was more of an excuse to buy another gun considering that my 870 actually gets the job done. I also stated that I was imposing a budget of $1000 or less. I can't do any of the guns above - not even in the good-used market - for $1000 or less.

Let's say I shoot trap 10x a year, and each time I go I shoot 4 rounds. That's a grand total of 1000 rounds a year. I'm pretty sure even inexpensive shotguns will hold up to 1000 rounds/year for at least a few years. Then, if I do decide I want something dedicated later on, THEN I can move forward to getting into something a bit nicer. I'm not there yet.

That's like saying to the guy who wants to dabble a bit in guitar that nothing short of a Martin, Taylor or Gibson acoustic will do, and that any guitar south of $1000 is garbage and won't hold up to the gigging. Sure - that might be true, but they don't need to cut their teeth on a Martin D28 when a $350 Ibanez will get the job done until they decide whether or not to get more serious about it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Gotta love it - I know that there are a lot of well-meaning folks in this thread, but this thread was started with me stating pretty clearly that I might shoot trap 10 times a year - maybe - and that it was more of an excuse to buy another gun considering that my 870 actually gets the job done. I also stated that I was imposing a budget of $1000 or less. I can't do any of the guns above - not even in the good-used market - for $1000 or less.

Let's say I shoot trap 10x a year, and each time I go I shoot 4 rounds. That's a grand total of 1000 rounds a year. I'm pretty sure even inexpensive shotguns will hold up to 1000 rounds/year for at least a few years. Then, if I do decide I want something dedicated later on, THEN I can move forward to getting into something a bit nicer. I'm not there yet.

That's like saying to the guy who wants to dabble a bit in guitar that nothing short of a Martin, Taylor or Gibson acoustic will do, and that any guitar south of $1000 is garbage and won't hold up to the gigging. Sure - that might be true, but they don't need to cut their teeth on a Martin D28 when a $350 Ibanez will get the job done until they decide whether or not to get more serious about it.
    You know where that comes from?
    People getting guns handed to them and not having to buy their first themselves.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Well then, think about renting shotguns instead. Hell, I have a 686, 682 Gold E, and the 682 Super Trap and shot clays not once this year and only once last year. You would have to pay me to shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, or hunt with an 870. I tried my buddy's 870 once. 2 rounds from it and I handed it back to him.

YOLO - I bought my 682 Super Trap right after I graduated college. The 686 I bought while I was in law school. The 682 Gold E and the two 391 semi autos I bought right after law school around 2001. Bought my Benelli SBE while I was in my 3rd year of law school. I've been shooting some of those guns for 30 years. Bought my Ruger 77MKII in .300 Win Mag back in 1993 and it is still my favorite rifle.

I always try to stretch a little to buy something nice that will make the hobby even more pleasurable, whatever that hobby might be.

You know what, I am somewhat offended by your response, so I went back and read your OP just to make sure I am justified in feeling this way. I mean, I was in a hurry when I wrote my initial suggestion and I might have missed that $1,000 threshold that you set forth in your OP. I had just come from a client meeting and was preparing for another meeting. Maybe I missed the $1,000 threshold in your OP and I deserved the threshing you just gave me. Nope, upon re-reading it, I don't see a mention of a $1,000 threshold. Guess you expected me to read 3 pages of replies and spend 30+ minutes weeding through everything before giving you a long thought out response on all the different shotguns out that there might fall within your requirements.

I stick with my second suggestion, rent until you can afford to own. If you go 10 times a year and rent for $10 a time, that will cost $100 a year and you get to shoot with a really nice gun that might eventually encourage you to shoot clays even more and lust after an entry level sporting clays gun. If you liked trap, sporting clays will be addictive, frustrating, and possibly wallet emptying, kind of like golf.

I will also say that I am somewhat shocked at what a 686 costs nowadays, even used. I have not been looking at entry level clays guns because I am waiting for a DT11 in some flavor to catch my eye. Had no idea that used 686 guns are going for $1,500+, but after reading your response I took a look on gunbroker. Still think you should rent until you determine what fits you best, and then keep your eye on gunbroker and the used gun racks for that gun of a lifetime.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I like the Tre Star O/U Shotguns myself. Very nice looking shotguns and well made. I have a 410 and 20 I use for hunting. I like them better than my Charles Daly and others. I dont shoot trap with them though. Just a hunter.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Well then, think about renting shotguns instead. Hell, I have a 686, 682 Gold E, and the 682 Super Trap and shot clays not once this year and only once last year. You would have to pay me to shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, or hunt with an 870. I tried my buddy's 870 once. 2 rounds from it and I handed it back to him.

YOLO - I bought my 682 Super Trap right after I graduated college. The 686 I bought while I was in law school. The 682 Gold E and the two 391 semi autos I bought right after law school around 2001. Bought my Benelli SBE while I was in my 3rd year of law school. I've been shooting some of those guns for 30 years. Bought my Ruger 77MKII in .300 Win Mag back in 1993 and it is still my favorite rifle.

I always try to stretch a little to buy something nice that will make the hobby even more pleasurable, whatever that hobby might be.

You know what, I am somewhat offended by your response, so I went back and read your OP just to make sure I am justified in feeling this way. I mean, I was in a hurry when I wrote my initial suggestion and I might have missed that $1,000 threshold that you set forth in your OP. I had just come from a client meeting and was preparing for another meeting. Maybe I missed the $1,000 threshold in your OP and I deserved the threshing you just gave me. Nope, upon re-reading it, I don't see a mention of a $1,000 threshold. Guess you expected me to read 3 pages of replies and spend 30+ minutes weeding through everything before giving you a long thought out response on all the different shotguns out that there might fall within your requirements.

I stick with my second suggestion, rent until you can afford to own. If you go 10 times a year and rent for $10 a time, that will cost $100 a year and you get to shoot with a really nice gun that might eventually encourage you to shoot clays even more and lust after an entry level sporting clays gun. If you liked trap, sporting clays will be addictive, frustrating, and possibly wallet emptying, kind of like golf.

I will also say that I am somewhat shocked at what a 686 costs nowadays, even used. I have not been looking at entry level clays guns because I am waiting for a DT11 in some flavor to catch my eye. Had no idea that used 686 guns are going for $1,500+, but after reading your response I took a look on gunbroker. Still think you should rent until you determine what fits you best, and then keep your eye on gunbroker and the used gun racks for that gun of a lifetime.
    Ok - you have a point, and my apologies - you're right, I didn't state $1000, but I did mention a bunch of guns that fall under the $1000 price point and my main criterion was that it be a bit of an upgrade from the 870.

I try to stretch a bit too - I'm kinda snobby with handgun. I don't own Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns, etc, but I do own a pair of Dan Wesson 1911s, and those are a step up from your Kimber, Springfield, Remington or S&W. My main 9mm is a Sig P226 Mk 25. With that said, I do a fair amount of pistol shooting.

On the flip side, my ARs are all pretty much budget builds - none of them, even with optics, cross the $1000 price point.

My most expensive gun to date is something I didn't want to compromise on, and that was a build I did with a Bighorn action, although to be fair, I used the least expensive action that Bighorn offers, the Origin. I also went with a fairly budget-level scope by going with an Arken, rather than going down the rabbit hole of some of the other more high-end optic choices. I can reliably put rounds in a spot the size of a nickel at 100 yards with that gun, so the scope doesn't seem to be limiting me.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that so many folks make it sound like it's simply not possible to enjoy shooting clays on any of the more budget-minded guns, and I'm not sure that's the case.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You know where that comes from?
    People getting guns handed to them and not having to buy their first themselves.
    lol - I went halfsies on a POS Browning Citori Lightning with my father when I was 18. After that, I have bought every gun I own. I finally received three of my dad's firearms about 8 years ago. He has three more in his possession and they will come to me when he passes. When my dad describes my "collection", he mentions armory. Suffice it to say, I have bought and own way more guns than what was given to me or that I will inherit.

Nah, where that comes from is getting a higher education and working hard from the age of 12 to the age of 52. That is where that all comes from. Probably hard for some to fathom.

Work ethic was instilled in me at a young age from two immigrant Italian parents that came to this country without a pot to piss in and have more than a lot of people that have been in this awesome country for generations.

My wife and I got a kick out of this one (NSFW because it has some cuss words in it):

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Utter nonsense. I've seen plenty of people shoot trap with a pump or semi auto and they do just fine. I've seen a guy with an 870 pump with a 24" barrel smoke everyone else on the line.
    Sorry, this sounds like classic trap snobbery.
    It's not the gun, it's the shooter.
    Besides if someone only has a auto shotgun to shoot trap with, nobody else should be getting pissed. They make shell catchers for them.
    The idea that you have to have an over/under or a dedicated trap gun to go shoot maybe 40 rounds of trap a year is BS.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ok - you have a point, and my apologies - you're right, I didn't state $1000, but I did mention a bunch of guns that fall under the $1000 price point and my main criterion was that it be a bit of an upgrade from the 870.

I try to stretch a bit too - I'm kinda snobby with handgun. I don't own Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns, etc, but I do own a pair of Dan Wesson 1911s, and those are a step up from your Kimber, Springfield, Remington or S&W. My main 9mm is a Sig P226 Mk 25. With that said, I do a fair amount of pistol shooting.

On the flip side, my ARs are all pretty much budget builds - none of them, even with optics, cross the $1000 price point.

My most expensive gun to date is something I didn't want to compromise on, and that was a build I did with a Bighorn action, although to be fair, I used the least expensive action that Bighorn offers, the Origin. I also went with a fairly budget-level scope by going with an Arken, rather than going down the rabbit hole of some of the other more high-end optic choices. I can reliably put rounds in a spot the size of a nickel at 100 yards with that gun, so the scope doesn't seem to be limiting me.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that so many folks make it sound like it's simply not possible to enjoy shooting clays on any of the more budget-minded guns, and I'm not sure that's the case.
    I started shooting clays with a single shot 20 gauge from Kmart. No idea what it even is. The most important thing about shooting clays as far as fun is concerned, is who you are shooting with. I tend to shoot with my dad and my brothers and a couple other friends now and then. We almost always have a great time giving each other crap about misses and just shooting the BS. If I have a bad time shooting with somebody, I will give them a second chance. 2 strikes and I am done.

You and I are the opposite when it comes to guns. Handguns are my least favorite with shotguns being my favorite. I do have some decent handguns though and am about to work on finishing up a Staccato 2011. I started with firearms from a hunting perspective. It was hard for me to fathom that some people do not own guns, and then if was hard for me to fathom that those that own guns don't all use them for hunting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Utter nonsense. I've seen plenty of people shoot trap with a pump or semi auto and they do just fine. I've seen a guy with an 870 pump with a 24" barrel smoke everyone else on the line.
    Sorry, this sounds like classic trap snobbery.
    It's not the gun, it's the shooter.
    Besides if someone only has a auto shotgun to shoot trap with, nobody else should be getting pissed. They make shell catchers for them.
    The idea that you have to have an over/under or a dedicated trap gun to go shoot trap a few times a year is BS.
    These are my brothers, a friend, and I from the mid 90s at PG Trap & Skeet. Pretty sure we were using whatever guns we had. I know one brother was using a Browning BPS and the buddy usually used a Belgian Browning Auto 5.

friends2.JPG
    friends3.JPG

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That's a purty shotgun, and if it's doing it for you, then it's doing it for you.

I've pretty much settled in on a CZ Redhead Premier Target, and I can get it for just a touch over a grand through the discount program, which is pretty solid for a $1500 MSRP gun. The trick is finding a LE/Mil dealer so I can take advantage of the discounted price.

I don't "have" to sell anything to offset the purchase of this, but the truth is, every time I go to the range, one gun I have that's a great gun, but I always seem to pass over, is my H&K USP 45. It just seems that whenever I'm looking to shoot a 45, I invariably grab one of my 1911s. I don't think I'd be sad to let it go. Maybe. I also have a Walther P99 that I never seem to shoot anymore, and I could probably be convinced to part with that one too.

I purchased a CZ redhead used a few years ago from a member here. Its shorter than my 2 trap guns I have left (had designs to join a trap league w/ my son and it did not pan out). I take the CZ to the range to shoot clays to warm back up then do guided bird hunts in January with a friend. Rest of the year its in the safe. Never had issues with the CZ but a vendor of mine who does trap says he would shoot hundreds of rounds a weekend doing trap.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Quality pumps and autos cost close to or more than $1000. I would suggest you keep shooting the 870 until you can afford to spend more money on the O/U.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I started shooting clays with a single shot 20 gauge from Kmart. No idea what it even is. The most important thing about shooting clays as far as fun is concerned, is who you are shooting with. I tend to shoot with my dad and my brothers and a couple other friends now and then. We almost always have a great time giving each other crap about misses and just shooting the BS. If I have a bad time shooting with somebody, I will give them a second chance. 2 strikes and I am done.

You and I are the opposite when it comes to guns. Handguns are my least favorite with shotguns being my favorite. I do have some decent handguns though and am about to work on finishing up a Staccato 2011. I started with firearms from a hunting perspective. It was hard for me to fathom that some people do not own guns, and then if was hard for me to fathom that those that own guns don't all use them for hunting.
    Did you pick up the 687 EELL yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom