• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Beretta/Browning so you can get your money back when you change your mind.

Just quit shooting clays and sold my Guerinis which I have had 10 or so years and got more than I paid for them when I sold.
    (got old, shoulder and rotator cuff issues, and more...)

IIR, Loch Raven has some o/u Berettas you can rent to try them out. Hard to beat a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    how'd it go for you ?
    I'm still trying to figure it out - I had it out again yesterday but didn't shoot too well - missed a lot more than I wanted to but I hit more than I missed - probably about 60%.

Hopefully I can get dialed in a bit better soon.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'm still trying to figure it out - I had it out again yesterday but didn't shoot too well - missed a lot more than I wanted to but I hit more than I missed - probably about 60%.

Hopefully I can get dialed in a bit better soon.

Most of the time its a few simple things like not keeping your face on the stock, shooters will lift their head or swing with their arms pushing the stock away from their face.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I just went out to AGC today to buy a few more trap booklets. I should've brought my shotgun and shot a few rounds, it was actually pretty nice out this afternoon.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You can use those trap coupons for 5 stand too--Wed night and Saturday mornings. They do a nice job at 5 stand

I’ve never shot 5 stand or sporting clays although I’d like to try it. Used to shoot trap and skeet more often but that was a long time ago.
    I shot wobble trap from the five stand locations a little over a week ago because it was a Friday and nobody to run it so we used the microphone system.
    It was tough with the wobble because some of the angles were exaggerated. They said the normal wobble trap house is broken. I really just wanted to shoot traditional trap as I hadn’t done it in years.
    Would like to get back into it although not super serious as I already shoot 3 other disciplines competitively and don’t need another lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Most of the time its a few simple things like not keeping your face on the stock, shooters will lift their head or swing with their arms pushing the stock away from their face.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think I'm mostly missing low or high - I'm definitely over thinking it. I know that years ago when I'd go out with my Dad, it had gotten to a point where it was almost second nature and I rarely missed. Then again, we were using a Champion hand thrower, so it probably wasn't throwing as far or as fast.

HandClayThrower_40915_Right.jpg

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think I'm mostly missing low or high - I'm definitely over thinking it. I know that years ago when I'd go out with my Dad, it had gotten to a point where it was almost second nature and I rarely missed. Then again, we were using a Champion hand thrower, so it probably wasn't throwing as far or as fast.

HandClayThrower_40915_Right.jpg
    Take an old golf driver-cut the head off and bolt it to the handle --then it will really fling them-far and fast

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I just revisited this thread and saw that the OP got himself a Browning Synergy. Nice gun. For anyone else out there looking, Scott's Gunsmithing has a 12 ga Citori with Extended Inv + chokes for like 1500 bucks. Only thing is it has the straight English Style grip. I personally prefer pistol grips on my Trap and Sporting guns.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd update this thread with some thoughts about my experiences shooting trap the last few months.

Since the previous last post of this thread in early February, "we" - my wife is shooting trap with me now too - have two shotguns that were purchased specifically for clay shooting:

Browning Cynergy CX, 30" barrels
    Browning BT-99 Micro with adjustable length of pull - 32" barrel

We got the BT-99 for my wife who just isn't big enough to use a full-sized shotgun. The cool thing is that if she ever gets tired of it (not likely - she LOVES it!) I can always spin it out to 14.5" and use it myself. It's a nice shooting gun too - the one round I shot with it, I shot a 22, and I shot a 21 with another guy's full-sized BT-99 - they just point and swing really nicely.

I've gotten to the point shooting where my low-water mark is 20 - most of the time I'm shooting 20-22 fairly consistently, and although I've shot 24 four times at this point, I have yet to break 25 straight.

All in all, I like the Cynergy - I've gotten used to it, and although it has no adjustments or other bells and whistles, I seem to do ok with it. There may come a time when I decide I need/want to dial in a bit more, and if that happens, I'll need something that adjusts, but for the moment I've gotten used to how this shoots.

I "earned" this for shooting a 24 at the last trap league event. :lol2:

IMG_7649.jpeg

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I thought I'd update this thread with some thoughts about my experiences shooting trap the last few months.

Since the previous last post of this thread in early February, "we" - my wife is shooting trap with me now too - have two shotguns that were purchased specifically for clay shooting:

Browning Cynergy CX, 30" barrels
    Browning BT-99 Micro with adjustable length of pull - 32" barrel

We got the BT-99 for my wife who just isn't big enough to use a full-sized shotgun. The cool thing is that if she ever gets tired of it (not likely - she LOVES it!) I can always spin it out to 14.5" and use it myself. It's a nice shooting gun too - the one round I shot with it, I shot a 22, and I shot a 21 with another guy's full-sized BT-99 - they just point and swing really nicely.

I've gotten to the point shooting where my low-water mark is 20 - most of the time I'm shooting 20-22 fairly consistently, and although I've shot 24 four times at this point, I have yet to break 25 straight.

All in all, I like the Cynergy - I've gotten used to it, and although it has no adjustments or other bells and whistles, I seem to do ok with it. There may come a time when I decide I need/want to dial in a bit more, and if that happens, I'll need something that adjusts, but for the moment I've gotten used to how this shoots.

I "earned" this for shooting a 24 at the last trap league event. :lol2:

View attachment 466991
    Now walk over to the 5-stand and miss a few more!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    25 targets in a round of 5 stand. Have a few extra shells in case you need a second shot at the single as you get full use of the gun. Give it a try. Still $5 a round and you can talk ( and curse) when you or your squadmates miss or make a particularly good or lucky shot..no microphones to launch an extra bird

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom