• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I'm in the process of putting a spikes tactical trigger guard on my AR-15. I forgot I needed roll pin punches, and have ordered a set of them. Do you use roll pin holders/starter punches? They seem like they would make starting the roll pin significantly easier, but has me wondering if they're worth the money. This is the set that I am considering. http://www.cbcfirearms.com/store.html Does anyone have any experience with this company? I noticed the set from brownells, which is on back order comes with a 3.5 mm holder. Would that be used anywhere on a AR-15?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i did not use them on my last build, just a set of std craftsman punches.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I would skip the starter/holder punches and just use roll pin punches. I did my last AR with normal punches, but I wouldn't recommend that.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    can you do it without the holders, yes. Its ultimately your gun and if its your first build get the starter punches, nothing ruins a good day like a punch that slides off mars the finish or shoots the rool pin to some far off unseen land of lost objects.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I am going to order them, if they save me from marring my lower it's worth it. It'll be the first time I've removed, and installed a roll pin. When I get the trigger guard installed I'll give my thoughts on the tools.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am going to order them, if they save me from marring my lower it's worth it. It'll be the first time I've removed, and installed a roll pin. When I get the trigger guard installed I'll give my thoughts on the tools.

I have a set and it makes me less nervous when I do the BHO roll pin, especially if you are installing something like the Phase 5 Tactical EBR. I have put together 1 AR and have 3 in process and I love the starter punches. Handy around the trigger guard too, less likely to break off an ear.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I definitely plan to use painters tape. The good news is I have most of the tools needed to put together a lower. Now I have an excuse to buy a dedicated 9mm lower.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    You can buy these at Sears or Home Depot too. Cheaper than most gun sites I might add.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Two of the best tips,besides protecting the surfaces,that i was given are tapering the starter end of the roll pin,I use a Dremal with a stone,Just a little pass and spin the pin!A drop of oil on that pin and Your GTG! As I do Leather work I have a pad of 7-8 oz hide I use to cover the lower for protection.Good Luck and Take Your Time!!

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Not the holders but the punches. OP said he ordered a set. I didn't need holders for my lower build.

Cool, I thought I overlooked them.

Two of the best tips,besides protecting the surfaces,that i was given are tapering the starter end of the roll pin,I use a Dremal with a stone,Just a little pass and spin the pin!A drop of oil on that pin and Your GTG! As I do Leather work I have a pad of 7-8 oz hide I use to cover the lower for protection.Good Luck and Take Your Time!!

I'll keep this in mind when I do the install, thanks.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    Punches smunches. Anyone can build an AR with no experience with some tape, a ketchup packet and an old ball point pen.

Or you can do it the easy way and buy the right tools! I did the same thing, bought all the right stuff. That is what makes it easy.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    The punches, and holders just came in today. The quality of the cbcf holders are on par with the lyman punch set. I was somewhat concerned about snapping the ear off of the lower, but the new trigger guard went on without any issues.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I got the lyman hammer as well, and it is nice. I love this trigger guard.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads