• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    These are supposed to have thicker metal cups to decrease the chance of slam fires in military type rifles with free floating firing pins.

I have read that they are essentially LR magnum primers and are best for spherical powders and that if you are using extruded powder, another choice in primers would be better. Same questions for with the CCI #41 (small rifle-5.56)

So what do I need to consider if using these primers?
    Should I consider them magnum primers for reloading data/tables?
    Are there alternate primers that are just as good? or better?

I will be reloading for M1A, Armalite AR10, and M1 garands, and not just for matches.

I used to shoot a lot with match M14's and AR 15 years ago and don't remember slam fires every being mentioned. We always single loaded rounds on the slow fire courses and I don't remember ever having one. But now I am getting paranoid about them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do not know about the #34. But the most military 7.62 is loaded with spherical powder these days, and they want good ignition in all conditions, including very cold temps, so it is likely it is the same as the magnums. Not sure about the cup thickness though.

The #41 Small Rifle Military primers are the same (same cups and priming compound) as the Small Rifle Magnum CCI primers #450). The anvils in the #41 are seated about 2 thousandths more shallow (more space between the anvil and cup) than the #450s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom