• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darthedwards

Feb 28, 2012
    This last weekend (2/25-26) I attended the Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy's training Carbine I & II. It had been well over a decade since I had received any training, and recently having built my first AR from the ground up, I knew I was long overdo.

Tom and his son Tommy ran the course, and put the class right at easy with their easy going, no BS manner. Saturday's class session started promptly & after introductions and experience qualifications got right into the basics. Weapon breakdown, maintenance, and evolutionary changes. The last time I had training was with an M16A2 (drilled into me over & over, my DS did a good job there), but a lot has changed since then, not only in equipment but basic tactics as well. The class was a great refresher & I learned more than I had forgotten.

Then we went on to the range, which was a little South on down the road. Tom had told us that this class would be dynamic as well as fluid. The class size was only 4 students & we received individual attention during drills. My old bad habits were quickly spotted and instruction given how to correct them, over and over. The instructors at CCJA are not the type to just let things slide to let students throw rounds down range. They have the philosophy that people sign up for the classes to learn. And learn I did, got a lot of practice to do to build up the skills I was taught, but instruction is what I wanted, paid for, & received in abundance! They took the time to help each student individually as needed and we all improved.

The second day was much like the first, but a hell of a lot warmer without the wind. The class the second day covered combat mindset and more advanced movement tactics. We incorporated the skills we learn the previous day and went way beyond. Running 2 man bounding drills & 3 man by the end of the day. By the end of the range time on day two, I can honestly say I am not only a more proficient shooter (not only with my carbine, but pistol as well) but more confident in my ability to defend myself and others if needed.

I will be taking as many classes from CCJA as my budget allows. The professionalism, integrity of training, and fluid dynamics of Tom & his staff I cannot recommend enough. For myself I know if I take Carbine I & II again from them it will not be a dry repeat, but another learning and improving invaluable experience.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Did you get a certificate of completion or just a promise that you would get one? This school has quite a reputation for not providing certificates to folks who pay and complete the courses.

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    On a very rare occasion a student may not get a certificate at the completion of a course they attended, however this is not a common occurrence.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    On a very rare occasion a student may not get a certificate at the completion of a course they attended, however this is not a common occurrence.

Really? I have been asking for mine for 3 months and have been told on two occasions that it would be sent immediately by you. I also know of five other students in the same class that have not received their certificates either. Coincidence? I even know of a person that never received there certificate from two years ago and stopped asking after numerous attempts.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Is 3rdRcn trying to get a rise out of Tom? :innocent0 :D

Got nothing to do with getting a rise and everything to do with getting what I paid for and have been told was on the way twice over 2 months ago. Not trying to be a dick but I don't like being lied to or not getting what I pay for.

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Got nothing to do with getting a rise and everything to do with getting what I paid for and have been told was on the way twice over 2 months ago. Not trying to be a dick but I don't like being lied to or not getting what I pay for.

Let me make myself very clear....You paid for training and that is what you got...training.

We do not sell certificates. It is true that at the completion of your last course you did not get a certificate. However I will make sure you get one now.

It is not my intent to deprive you or anyone else from a certificate for training that has been earned. However please forgive me for not being perfect…we trained well over 2,000 students last year and I am aware of less than 10 people who did not get a certificate.

I don’t think Terry is trying to get a rise out of me...he just wants what was promised to him. In fact I’m honored that my certificates are so valuable that passions run so deep about them.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Looking forward to attending one of these courses in the future after my leg heals up and I finish my AR15 build. Sounds like a great learning experience and a hell of a good time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom