• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Horticultural Gardens sounds kinda vague and lame .

1 ,000 acres near Philadelphia region . Indoor and outdoor plants , trees , gardens . Fancy buildings , lots of events and seasonal celebrations . Currently has massive Christmas Lights displays .

Popular with tourists , and Philadelphia upscale- ish visitors .

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    What is Longwood Gardens?

CMC
    EBMD

Some one please kill me
    A great destination for a classy date. :thumbsup:
    Horticultural Gardens sounds kinda vague and lame .

1 ,000 acres near Philadelphia region . Indoor and outdoor plants , trees , gardens . Fancy buildings , lots of events and seasonal celebrations . Currently has massive Christmas Lights displays .

Popular with tourists , and Philadelphia upscale- ish visitors .
    Closer to Chadds Ford and Brandywine Valley DuPont chateaux country.

The kinda place I used to get kicked out of! :innocent0

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Their policy states that no weapons are permitted but my understanding of PA law is that they can just ask you to leave. I’m actually a Longwood member and carried there Saturday On PA permit.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Been a member for many years. Have carried everything from a 1911 to a subcompact 9mm there (concealed, of course) without difficulty. They most definitely have no metal detectors or significant security of any kind.

Enjoy.

-Rob

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I think Longwood Gardens is a must see but I’m a biologist so maybe a bit biased when it comes to living things. Plus, if you keep an eye out, they have quite a few cats. it’s an easy day trip right up Rt. 1 to the main entrance.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the responses. We're going up to see the Christmas lights this week. I think my CMC game is pretty good...but I didn't want to test it against a metal detector. I also doubt it would hold up to the afterwards orgy, but...:shrug:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Thanks for the responses. We're going up to see the Christmas lights this week. I think my CMC game is pretty good...but I didn't want to test it against a metal detector. I also doubt it would hold up to the afterwards orgy, but...:shrug:

Just don't hide it under your guacamole bowl.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In PA, "no weapons" signs have 0 force of law, the most they can do is ask you to leave, and charge trespassing if you refuse. Federal buildings are a different story, and then the usual schools, courthouses, prisons, secure areas of airports etc. Most of us just carry, and know the few places codified in state or federal law, then if a place has metal detectors either go back to the car and decide if you want to stash it, or go somewhere else.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    I think Longwood Gardens is a must see but I’m a biologist so maybe a bit biased when it comes to living things. Plus, if you keep an eye out, they have quite a few cats. it’s an easy day trip right up Rt. 1 to the main entrance.
    I've been going since a kid (late 60s early 70s) and I thought I remembered there being big fruit bats in the trees.

No cats.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I've been going since a kid (late 60s early 70s) and I thought I remembered there being big fruit bats in the trees.

No cats.
    I missed seeing the bats. The kitties are all around the grounds, kind of scattered, usually among the shrubs, etc.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    They do indeed have a couple of signs, but they were small enough that I would have said I didn't see them. The also prohibited food, drones...and a couple other things. (maybe if the signs were bigger I would have remembered the other things) I didn't see anybody checking for anything though.

Overall, it was pretty cool. There were a lot of people. It was weird shuffling amongst them. Hearing bits of their random conversations reminded me of folks on the street in the GTA games. There were a LOT of gun carts being pushed around...with small children riding in them...weird. :shrug:

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone in the summer or fall to see it in the daylight, get a lay of the land, and learn all the museum type stuff. That way, when I went now, I hopefully wouldn't have felt slightly lost the whole time and could have just focused on the Christmas stuff.

We'll probably go back...but not anytime soon. They are booked up through Christmas.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    These are the types of places that are 'weird' for those of us who carry. They SAY "no weapons", yet, it seems there is zero attempt to enforce it. In MD, they would likely put up the "No Concealed Carry" sign.. but in PA, it's different.

This is one reason why this forum is a huge benefit for us to ask those in the know. Just knowing that folks carry there without incident is a big comfort.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    If I had to do it over again, I would have gone in the summer or fall to see it in the daylight, get a lay of the land, and learn all the museum type stuff.
    Every season there is something new. The fountains are turned off in the winter and were recently rehabilitated. I gots to see that!

Also different music programs. The organ tour (no wise-cracks) is really interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom