• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMD354

While I was at Fell's Point yesterday I got to talking with a 30 year city police officer. The Concelled Carry Weapon subject came up and he suggested that instead of going for a Maryland CCW that I should go for a Federal CCW. Has anyone here had any dealings with trying to get a federal permit. I would like to know if I have a snowballs chance in getting one.

Thanks

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't think there is any such thing. A Utah or Florida non-resident permit would be recognized in 30+ states though (not Maryland unfortunately) Maybe that is what he was talking about.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Never heard of one, but that doesn't guarantee that it doesn't somehow exist...

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    A federal concealed carry license, good in all 50 states, that a regular citizen can apply for and receive....

I'm thinking we might have heard of this before now... I'm a little skeptical..;)

PMD354

Sorry I guess that I should have googled the question before posting it here. Here is what google says:

The short answer, based on what I think you're asking, is you can't, because no such thing exists. The longer answer is, the only way to be able carry everywhere in the U.S. is to become a commissioned officer through a federal agency such as the FBI, or to be a commissioned police officer, and carry under the HR218 law.

Looks like I got taken.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    What you were told is an urban legend. There is no such thing as a "federal carry permit" (although federal agents can carry wherever their agencies allow them to carry).

This is true: Under a federal law, the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act (LEOSA), 18 USC Section 926B and 926C, initially enacted in 2004 and twice revised since then, active-duty law enforcement officers, and officers who have retired with at least 10 years service and who meet certain other qualifications, can carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction, with certain restrictions. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

Further discussion of this federal law appears in a later post below.

Last edited:

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    I've never heard of it and a quick google search yielded nothing but good luck to you and let us know. Sounds too good to be true though because if there was a federal permit that anyone could obtain which also overrides the state level permits it would defeat the point of any state caring about giving us a CCW in the first place.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    While I was at Fell's Point yesterday I got to talking with a 30 year city police officer. The Concelled Carry Weapon subject came up and he suggested that instead of going for a Maryland CCW that I should go for a Federal CCW. Has anyone here had any dealings with trying to get a federal permit. I would like to know if I have a snowballs chance in getting one.

Thanks

I think what he was talking about only is offered to LEO's with 10 or more years.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    I suspect that since he is a police officer he is talking about a permit that is available to retired law enforcement officers that is good in all 50 states. It is commonly referred to as "HR 218" which was the original bill in the House of Representatives. It is not available to citizens - - unfortunately. The Utah CFP is available to citizens and, as a previous post said, is recognized in all 50 states. Info can be found at www.guard-training.com

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I suspect that since he is a police officer he is talking about a permit that is available to retired law enforcement officers that is good in all 50 states. It is commonly referred to as "HR 218" which was the original bill in the House of Representatives. It is not available to citizens - - unfortunately. The Utah CFP is available to citizens and, as a previous post said, is recognized in all 50 states. Info can be found at www.guard-training.com

Not quite. You can re-check your own link. Utah is recognized in 35 states.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    non-resident Utah permit recognized in 31 states

The Utah permit is not recognized in 35 states unless you are actually a resident of Utah. If you are a resident of Maryland and hold a Utah permit, it is recognized in 31 of those states. The four states that recognize Utah permits only when they are held by Utah residents are Colorado, Florida, Michigan, and New Hampshire.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    What you were told is an urban legend. There is no such thing as a "federal carry permit" (although federal agents can carry wherever their agencies allow them to carry).

This is corroborated by

Q: Does the Federal Government issue a license or permit to carry a concealed weapon?
    No. Neither ATF nor any other Federal agency issues such a permit or license. Carrying permits may be issued by a State or local government.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gene...ncealed-permit

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

This is true: Under a federal law, the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act (LEOSA), 18 USC Section 926(b) and (c), initially enacted in 2004 and twice revised since then, active-duty law enforcement officers, and officers who have retired with at least 10 years service and who meet certain other qualifications, can carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction, with certain restrictions. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

As far as I'm concerned that is a Federal carry permit. You have to be a LEO for 10+ years, but a fed carry permit all the same. I did some business with a retired Carroll County Sheriff that has this federal permit and he can carry in any state. So, it give 10+ year LEO's the right to carry in any state, The feds issues this to qualifying LEO's, So, IMHO, it's a fed carry permit.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Utah non-resident permit is good in 31 states.

1 - Alabama,
    2 - Alaska,
    3 - Arizona,
    4 - Arkansas,
    5 - Delaware,
    6 - Georgia,
    7 - Idaho,
    8 - Indiana,
    9 - Iowa,
    10 - Kentucky,
    11 - Louisiana,
    12 - Minnesota,
    13 - Mississippi,
    14 - Missouri,
    15 - Montana,
    16 - Nebraska,
    17 - North Carolina,
    18 - North Dakota,
    19 - Ohio,
    20 - Oklahoma,
    21 - Pennsylvania,
    22 - South Dakota,
    23 - Tennessee,
    24 - Texas,
    25 - Utah,
    26 - Vermont,
    27 - Virginia,
    28 - Washington,
    29 - West Virginia,
    30 - Wisconsin,
    31 - Wyoming

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    where can i get james bond license?? LOL

op.. you are not the only one. heard one from a lady who works in the same building. her coworker mentioned about getting one.. so out of curiosity.. i ask how can you get one.. no reply. haha

so i explained to her.. if her boss is a former agency employee (cia, secret service), used to be a fed marshall or fbi. lightbulb lit.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    As far as I'm concerned that is a Federal carry permit. You have to be a LEO for 10+ years, but a fed carry permit all the same. I did some business with a retired Carroll County Sheriff that has this federal permit and he can carry in any state. So, it give 10+ year LEO's the right to carry in any state, The feds issues this to qualifying LEO's, So, IMHO, it's a fed carry permit.

No, the feds do not issue any such permit or credential to retired sheriffs or other retired local law enforcement officers. What the retired sheriff actually has would be an identification issued by his previous local agency, the sheriff's office, that shows that he is a qualified retiree under the federal law, as discussed in detail below. There is no application process to any federal agency, and no federal permit issued. (However, a retired federal officer must have a retirement credential from his previous federal agency, as discussed below, in order to exercise the carry privilege created by the law.)

The federal law, 18 U.S.C. Sections 926B and 926C, allows two classes of persons to carry in any state (and D.C.) -- active-duty LEOs who meet certain criteria, and retired LEOs who meet certain other criteria. This Wikipedia article seems pretty accurate as to the details. If you want to read the actual law, which has been amended twice since it was enacted in 2003, see here and here.

The federal law simply specifies that the carry privilege may be exercised by anyone who meets the criteria and who carries the identification specified in the federal law. For active-duty LEOs, the only credential required is their regular agency photo ID (but such an ID only confers carry privileges, under the federal law, if the person carrying it meets the criteria in the federal law).

For qualified retirees, the only credentials required are (quoting verbatim here from 18 U.S.C. Section 926C):

a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm;

or

(2) (A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and (B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met— (I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or (II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Last edited:

oupa

Apr 6, 2011

Thanks

St Pat's huh?
    How long had he been drinking?:innocent0

Here in lies the problem with people taking the legal advise of police officers... and those police officers who feel qualified to give it. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom