• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I just want to buy a Nazi armband. Non historical and just walk around with it. For lolz.

I'm brown. And I'm stupid enough to do it yelling white power.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    HARRISBURG! its like in Black Hawk Down where he walks past that table of AKs. just like that. vendors fire right into the air. ok i stretched that a bit, but you get my point. Harrisurg was AMAZING when i went a few years ago. ill catch the next one.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    FWIW, I have quit going due to what I've seen and heard about the unwillingness of the various VA vendors to sell a firearm to me. They cite the MD laws as their reason. Fair enough. But MD laws could change one day.

PA dealers on the other hand seem much more accommodating and I have a ridiculously long memory for those who have been nice to me.

PS: I know that there is often a MD dealer there that will do a transfer and it doesn't change the way I feel.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    FWIW, I have quit going due to what I've seen and heard about the unwillingness of the various VA vendors to sell a firearm to me. They cite the MD laws as their reason. Fair enough. But MD laws could change one day.

PA dealers on the other hand seem much more accommodating and I have a ridiculously long memory for those who have been nice to me.

PS: I know that there is often a MD dealer there that will do a transfer and it doesn't change the way I feel.

Get a friend living in VA to buy the gun, then FFL it to MD with your friend. All legal!

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I think the key point you're missing is that old Nazi gear is quite in demand by modern racists, which I'm not so sure is the case for USSR and Imperial Japan gear. People do not mount up a giant swastika banner on the wall for "lolz, old-timey" purposes. I have no particular issue with the Iron Cross, given its extensive history outside of the Nazi regime and in modern Germany. I do find Imperial Japanese gear to be in poor taste, but it tends to have less offensive connotations in the US... sell that crap in China, I don't think you'd make it out of the show alive.

Fair enough. I don't know why a non collector would spend the extra coin on the real deal when a cheaper repro is available, but I guess some of these guys want stuff that's been there.

Get a friend living in VA to buy the gun, then FFL it to MD with your friend. All legal!

I've thought about this myself, but doesn't that mean it's a straw purchase? At the very least, I would have my friend hold onto the gun for a few weeks, so they could say "Well, I tried it and it wasn't for me, but my buddy loved it so I sold it to him.".

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Yeah, there was a Maryland dealer there doing transfers. $60.

I have a no-gun-show guns policy when it comes to buying guns (I got burned by a Tac Sol POS upper last year), but was REALLY tempted by a used Glock G30. Story: guy bought it, put 50 rounds through it and traded it in; and it looked like it, too. The gun looked brand new. $409. I still passed, though. (My gut was screaming, "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!")

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Chantilly is the best show around.

and I likes me some beef jerky tables!

And as for the jewelery tables, i bought my wife a necklace out of a fired .357 round! Now she loves the gun show. Can't beat that

MPDC6D

Apr 23, 2012
    I feel the show has gone down hill, other than hi cap mag's it is a waste for those who live in MD.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Chantilly this year was my first gun show, and I did really enjoy it, although this was the first time I ever paid to shop somewhere.

I will note I didn't even look too closely at the guns, knowing of the headaches involved in transferring to MD.

Plus, to be fair, I completely forgot about the show until the last minute, and I already had a firearms purchase pending the Maryland State Police background check, so I figured I'd just pass this time.

I can understand why there were the chick-friendly tables, but the Nazi and Imperial Japan stuff? Please. I thought it was inappropriate. I'm not there to drool over armaments and paraphernalia of America's enemies, sorry.

I'm not going protest about it and I'm not going to criticize anybody else.

It's just I sure as hell ain't gonna honor a military culture that killed Americans. My father fought the Japanese in the Pacific. My uncle fought the Germans in Europe. I'll not dishonor their memory and their military service by picking up any of that crap.

End of rant.

hammycrumb

Nov 2, 2011
    Queen Anne county
    The VA gun show stink! Well unless you have a VA state license to buy any firearms there. The FFL dealers there dont want to deal with us marylanders so F them. Ill stick with Upper Marlboro and Annapolis even though the prices here are 10-20% higher, and lack all the extra tables but its not worth that extra gas money. I'm staying in maryland!

E1E

Chantilly is still the best for me being my closest options are Show Place, MC Fairgrounds, and one that escapes me at the moment. I only go to the local ones to see people and dealer I have not ran into in a while. I've ran in to local dealer employees shopping at the Chantilly show and got a good chuckle over it teasing him at the store.

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD

According to the ATF that's a straw purchase, and is definitely illegal. Unless the friend is buying it with their own money to give to you as a gift.

ATF said:
    Page 165 Section 15
    In some instances, a straw purchaser is used because the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm. That is to say, the actual purchaser is a felon or is within one of the other prohibited categories of persons who may not lawfully acquire firearms or is a resident of a State other than that in which the licensee's business premises is located. Because of his or her disability, the person uses a straw purchaser who is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm from the licensee. In other instances, neither the straw purchaser nor the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm. In both instances, the straw purchaser violates Federal law by making false statements on Form 4473 to the licensee with respect to the identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm, as well as the actual purchaser's residence
    address and date of birth. The actual purchaser who utilized the straw purchaser to acquire a firearm has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of the false statements. The licensee selling the firearm under these circumstances also violates Federal law if the licensee is aware of the false statements on the form. It is immaterial that the actual purchaser and the straw purchaser are residents of the State in which the licensee's business premises is located, are not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms, and could have lawfully purchased firearms from the licensee.

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    You missed the key sentence; FFL

Unless the friend is the FFL, that's a straw purchase. if you have a buddy in another state (who is not an FFL) purchase a firearm for you and then he sends it to you via an FFL you have still committed a straw purchase according to the ATF.

Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    I spoke with the folks that sell the tables back in 2010, and they would gladly bump the non-firearms related tables to gain a firearms related table. That was their ROE back then and I doubt it has changed much.

They are there to make money. The more gun tables, the better the show, the better the show, the more money they make. BUT the last thing they want is empty spaces, so if there are no more gun type dealers to take the tables, then they go down the list and let other sellers in.

No f**kin way it is that easy.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Unless the friend is the FFL, that's a straw purchase. if you have a buddy in another state (who is not an FFL) purchase a firearm for you and then he sends it to you via an FFL you have still committed a straw purchase according to the ATF.

I'd like to disagree on that...

The 2nd purchaser is still legally purchasing the gun thru an FFL. How the FFL got the gun matters not (as long as it was legal).

Jamie

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I just want to buy a Nazi armband. Non historical and just walk around with it. For lolz.

I'm brown. And I'm stupid enough to do it yelling white power.

Great mental picture. Reminded me of the Chapelle episode:

k_white_su.jpg

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    I'd like to disagree on that...

The 2nd purchaser is still legally purchasing the gun thru an FFL. How the FFL got the gun matters not (as long as it was legal).

Jamie

In this instance the FFL did not get the gun legally. Im quoting directly from the ATF's Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide regarding this; "The actual purchaser who utilized the straw purchaser to acquire a firearm has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of the false statements." (Specifically question 11a) Your buddy can then send it to you through an FFL but you have still aided and abetted the original straw purchase. In fact, if the FFL knows you and your buddy are doing this they can be charged as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom