• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I have a late 60's/early 70's Charles Daly O/U (Miroku) 12 GA shotgun I inherited from my dad many years ago.

My dad used it for hunting, so he did not shoot it much. I have used it for trap a couple of times. All in all, the gun probably has less then 300 rounds through it. I want to pass it on to my son eventually (hopefully a long time from now).

The gun has the original 26" barrels (shortest), auto-ejectors, and fixed chokes. All the numbers match.

This gun has a lot of sentimental value to me, but guns are meant to be used. My goal is to have a decent trap gun and still be able to pass this on to my son many years from now in good condition. I don't want this gun to be a safe queen if I can help it.

Should I/Can I get replacement barrels that will be longer, have screw in chokes? This way I should have a decent trap/skeet gun and I will preserve the original barrels.

Opinions and recommendations for where to get barrels is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Browning (made by Miroku) spare barrels are notoriously difficult to find and expensive. I assume Daly/Miroku barrels would be even less available. If you were able to find a set that would fit, they would then need to be hand fitted to your receiver. There are gunsmiths who specialize in custom barrels but the cost would be (far) more than the value of your shotgun. So, while anything is possible I don't think it's going to make financial sense to get longer barrels on this gun.

But if you're dead set on the idea, it might be easiest to find a Daly/Miroku with the barrels you want and do a swap. Both guns would need to be fitted by a qualified gunsmith.

Once you have the barrel length you want you could have thin-walled choke tubes installed.

In round numbers I think you're looking at putting at least $1200 into an $800 gun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Sounds like you should leave your dad's gun be, enjoy it for what it is and budget for a new gun to supplement your dad's gun. Then your son will have two heirlooms.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    IF you could find bbls for that gun, you might find them to be pricey. You would incur another expense having them fitted. After that, you would still have a field gun, as the stock would not be right for Trap. I would leave that gun alone and simply pick up a used Trap gun.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    As has already been covered numerous times, finding barrels would be difficult at best and cost prohibitive. It would cost less to buy a nice BT-99 for trap and keep the Daly in tact as a family heirloom.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Leave it exactly as is. By "upgrading" the barrels, you'll destroy its sentimental value and real value. If the fixed chokes are IC, LM, or M, it's fine for clays as is. I prefer OC. Full choke is when it's a problem, only because it can be frustrating if you're not a good shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom