• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    You guys motivated me to find a target revolver to play with, on my limited budget. Someone in this rimfire section commented on the Pathfinder being a good, cheap alternative to the Smith & Wesson. I ended up finding one online for about $400, they seem to be out of stock at reputable retailers and I definitely wasn’t going to gamble on ordering from some place that I didn’t recognize.

The biggest disappointment is the horrible laser etching on the barrel. Why did Charter Arms feel like this was a good idea? It’s a fun plinking toy for me, so I don’t really care, but for many this would be a reason for them to find an alternative. It is horrible looking.

Anyways, I hope it is fairly accurate. It will definitely be fun to take into the woods and shoot cheap ammo.

1C6218D8-4E28-48B6-AAC9-F2A314224DA3.jpeg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Looks nice even with the rather large laser engraving. Looks like the grips encourage a high hold on the frame. How’s the SA/DA trigger that’s my biggest complaint with the Taurus is the heavy hammer and DA pull. SA is great if you can cock the hammer. Many ladies don’t have the strength to shoot the gun DA and some can’t cock the hammer in SA.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I see your a bit further south if you want to make the trek we have a pistol shoot tomorrow Sunday 9am-2pm at the AGC bring it out and any other pistols you have. It was originally scheduled for today but the weather was miserable this morning.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Looks nice even with the rather large laser engraving. Looks like the grips encourage a high hold on the frame. How’s the SA/DA trigger that’s my biggest complaint with the Taurus is the heavy hammer and DA pull. SA is great if you can cock the hammer. Many ladies don’t have the strength to shoot the gun DA and some can’t cock the hammer in SA.
    ...and if I want to shoot a .22 in SA I could get a $200 Heritage.

How's the CA tough OP?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    You guys motivated me to find a target revolver to play with, on my limited budget. Someone in this rimfire section commented on the Pathfinder being a good, cheap alternative to the Smith & Wesson. I ended up finding one online for about $400, they seem to be out of stock at reputable retailers and I definitely wasn’t going to gamble on ordering from some place that I didn’t recognize.

The biggest disappointment is the horrible laser etching on the barrel. Why did Charter Arms feel like this was a good idea? It’s a fun plinking toy for me, so I don’t really care, but for many this would be a reason for them to find an alternative. It is horrible looking.

Anyways, I hope it is fairly accurate. It will definitely be fun to take into the woods and shoot cheap ammo.

View attachment 408331
    I like the looks of this pistol

How does it shoot?

SunnySky

Oct 19, 2023
    California
    Pathfinder..., I hope it is fairly accurate...

View attachment 408331
    How do you feel about your Pathfinder?

I bought a brand new Pathfinder (just like yours, 22LR, 4.2" barrel, 8-shot, optic fiber front sight) a couple of weeks ago. After 3 range trips and 150 rounds, I like it. The only issue is its sights. It shoots 2" high at 10 yards, with all 3 types of ammo (38gr Aguila Super Extra, 40gr Federal Auto Match, and 40gr Armscor). When I moved the target to 15 yards, it shoots 3" high, quite consistently. This is with the rear sight adjusted all the way down.

When I called Charter Arms, they said they were never aware of the issue. It looks to me that the front optic fiber sight is too low, compared with a typical iron sight of a typical revolver.

Just like to know your experience and your fix (if you had/have the same issue). Any feedback is appreciated.

SunnySky

Oct 19, 2023
    California
    The rear sight has been adjusted all the way down already.

As I see it, either filing off the rear sight U-notch or raising the front sight post. But the rear sight U-notch is quite shallow already, and raising the front sight is even harder (need to find an iron sight base with the same foot print, but slightly taller).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

As I see it, either filing off the rear sight U-notch or raising the front sight post. But the rear sight U-notch is quite shallow already, and raising the front sight is even harder (need to find an iron sight base with the same foot print, but slightly taller).
    Are you aiming combat hold or center hold? Maybe try 6 O'clock hold?

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Problem Identified.
    Just raise the rear sight.

:shrug:

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From Wikiversity:
    Vertical Adjustment (Up and down): If your shot is above (needs to be lower) your target using both sights facing directly at your target, the rear sight should be moved lower or your front sight should be moved higher.Jan 3, 2022

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Like I said I could be totally off base, but to me it would seem if you raise the rear sight, you would lower the muzzle to line up.

SunnySky

Oct 19, 2023
    California
    Are you aiming combat hold or center hold? Maybe try 6 O'clock hold?
    Center hold. Or at least that is what I am trying to aim at.

I shoot bullseye width a diameter of 1". At 10 and 15 yards, combat and center hold are about the same. Even I can aim precisely at 6 O'clock, the difference is only 0.5".

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Like I said I could be totally off base, but to me it would seem if you raise the rear sight, you would lower the muzzle to line up.
    Either you raise the front or lower the rear, the same is achieved: lower point of impact.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    How do you feel about your Pathfinder?

I bought a brand new Pathfinder (just like yours, 22LR, 4.2" barrel, 8-shot, optic fiber front sight) a couple of weeks ago. After 3 range trips and 150 rounds, I like it. The only issue is its sights. It shoots 2" high at 10 yards, with all 3 types of ammo (38gr Aguila Super Extra, 40gr Federal Auto Match, and 40gr Armscor). When I moved the target to 15 yards, it shoots 3" high, quite consistently. This is with the rear sight adjusted all the way down.

When I called Charter Arms, they said they were never aware of the issue. It looks to me that the front optic fiber sight is too low, compared with a typical iron sight of a typical revolver.

Just like to know your experience and your fix (if you had/have the same issue). Any feedback is appreciated.
    Your timing is perfect. I was finally able to shoot the Pathfinder earlier today for the first time. I was using Norma Tac-22 and my experience was exactly like yours, it was consistently about 2" too high.

I'm going to take the advice from this thread and move the rear sight and try again tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom