• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy all -

Sure some have heard of ChatGPT at this point. I am fiddling around on it. My queries lead to me asking -
    “Explain the history and operation of the Sharps Rifle”. To whit it responds :

The Sharps Rifle was a breech-loading rifle manufactured by the Sharps Rifle Company in the mid-19th century. The Sharps Rifle was first introduced in 1848 and was widely used during the American Civil War, as well as in the settling of the American West. The Sharps Rifle was known for its accuracy and reliability, and it was favored by both Union and Confederate troops during the Civil War.

The operation of the Sharps Rifle involved a single-shot, breech-loading mechanism, which allowed the shooter to reload the weapon quickly and efficiently. The shooter would open the breech block, insert a cartridge, and then close the breech block. The rifle was fired by pulling a trigger, which ignited the percussion cap and ignited the powder charge in the cartridge, firing the bullet.

The Sharps Rifle was known for its accuracy, and it was often used by sharpshooters and snipers during the Civil War. The rifle's long range and accuracy made it an effective weapon for picking off enemy troops from a distance.

After the Civil War, the Sharps Rifle continued to be used in the settling of the American West, where its accuracy and reliability were valued by pioneers and settlers. The Sharps Rifle was also used in hunting and sport shooting, and it remains a popular collector's item today.”

Ok, so I simply said
    ”Tell me more”

”The Sharps Rifle was manufactured in a variety of models and calibers, each designed to meet the specific needs of its users. Some of the most popular models of the Sharps Rifle included the Model 1853 Cavalry Carbine, the Model 1859 Infantry Rifle, and the Model 1863 Cavalry Carbine. The rifles were manufactured with a variety of barrels and stocks, and they could be fitted with various sights and accessories to improve accuracy and performance.

During the American Civil War, the Sharps Rifle was widely used by both Union and Confederate troops. The rifle's accuracy and reliability made it a valuable asset on the battlefield, and it was often used by sharpshooters and snipers to pick off enemy troops from a distance.

After the Civil War, the Sharps Rifle was used in the settling of the American West, where its accuracy and reliability were valued by pioneers and settlers. The rifle was also used for hunting, and it was popular among sportsmen and target shooters.

Today, the Sharps Rifle remains a popular collector's item, and it is widely sought after by firearms enthusiasts and history buffs. The Sharps Rifle is also still used for hunting and target shooting, and it continues to be valued for its accuracy and reliability.”

Slightly repetitive, but a glaring obvious realization was had, so my next line of questioning was -

”What is the history of the term “Sharpshooter”?”

”The term "sharpshooter" originated during the American Civil War and refers to soldiers who were skilled marksmen, capable of shooting accurately from a distance. During the Civil War, sharpshooters were used by both Union and Confederate forces to pick off enemy soldiers from a distance, and their accuracy and precision made them an important asset on the battlefield.

The term "sharpshooter" was likely derived from the Sharps Rifle, which was a popular and highly accurate rifle used by sharpshooters during the Civil War. The Sharps Rifle was known for its accuracy and reliability, and it was favored by sharpshooters for its long range and effective firepower.”

Some cooooool potential here….

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/i]

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Ask it about Trump you will find it leans liberal. It accuses him of inciting violence. I like it but Liberal AI and when you ask it powershell commands sometimes it will literally just make stuff up.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    It's certainly defective since I see no reference to Quigley Down Under <smile>

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I am aware of its biased leanings. But in terms of quick resource and info, it seems pretty interesting. Who doesn’t love a Sharps!?

ec1236e80105d9ce1e2a32c097ad9a29.jpeg

Admittedly mine is not a C&R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The text it generated (in the OP) is a good example of both why the AI is pretty impressive ... but also why teachers can spot a ChatGPT-generated essay a mile away when students use it to cheat on assignments. The output just has a feel to it that a jaded teacher can spot. Over time, that will get harder and harder.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    The text it generated (in the OP) is a good example of both why the AI is pretty impressive ... but also why teachers can spot a ChatGPT-generated essay a mile away when students use it to cheat on assignments. The output just has a feel to it that a jaded teacher can spot. Over time, that will get harder and harder.
    People have tried to ask ChatGPT to create computer programs. So far it has a lot of mistakes. I'm sure it can do cookie cutter type of code that people can cut and paste. However, it won't be able to solve big problems.

It is a good tool to find stuff and cut/paste for you so far.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ask it a question: who is Mr. BigHair
    Response:
    Mr. BigHair, also known as "Dr. Goodhair" or simply "The Hair" is a semi-mythological figure who frequents the esteemed Maryland Shooters forum. He is known for his amazing hair, quick wit, and desire to tongue punch AOC's fart box. Among his many accomplishments, the one he is most proud of is bringing the word "felching" to the masses.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Response:
    Mr. BigHair, also known as "Dr. Goodhair" or simply "The Hair" is a semi-mythological figure who frequents the esteemed Maryland Shooters forum. He is known for his amazing hair, quick wit, and desire to tongue punch AOC's fart box. Among his many accomplishments, the one he is most proud of is bringing the word "felching" to the masses.
    Hmmmm.

That's not what it gave me. It must be learning and growing in order to give your answer!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Response:

I asked it to build future models for pre and post fart box tongue punches…it said it can only base its replies on things that have occurred. We may never know if the Good Hair Tongue Punch will solve the Climate Crisis.

God speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I get engineering and IT newsletters and for the last 4-5 years there's been a growing concern in the IT world about the potential for cataclysmic abuse of AI. Laugh if you will but SkyNet could very easily become reality. SF is full of stories of AI being used by crime syndicates like the Yakuza. Imagine what scams AI could pull off if programmed for criminal use. Stuff that William Gibson foretold in the early 80s.
    Not all AI use will be doom and gloom. It's just another tool for good or bad. But in its case the bad side of the ledger has serious consequences. We need to tread very carefully.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    This isn't AI. There hasn't been a single use case of AI being built successfully as we understand it. This is data mining, mixed with some pattern recognition.

Currently any "AI" or "Machine Learning" that's been built operates under a set of predefined rules and rulesets to meet what ever objective the programmer has set for it.

For it to truly be AI. The program must be able to not just create new rulesets to abide by but disregard previous rulesets and inefficiencies in order to meet a given objective. This is what "Skynet" did. It was developed to protect human life until it realized the biggest threat to human life was humans. Notice in the movies how skynet did not just release poison gas into the atmosphere or irradiate it. It did not see human existence as a threat. It actually was attempting to save humanity from itself. It redefined its operating ruleset to meet its broader objective. To save humanity, humanity needed to be imprisoned and subjugated.

This would be true AI. And there hasn't been a single instance of this invented. Most "AI" or Machine Learning is just a bunch of offshore coders constantly writing if then statements, refactoring and then doing it again.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I’ve been doing AI stuff for a while now and so Chatgpt has been on my “virtual radar”

Some of the projects I’ve worked on might scare some people to know what’s possible.

Want to see something creepy good ? Check out Synthesia. You can create your own digital avatar (real human appearance not graphical).
    It will learn your voice. And it can be fed with AI content from chatgpt or others.

Add a little Descript and creating video content with just a keyboard is possible today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    "ChatGPT demonstrates what language skills that are divorced from any knowledge of the world looks like. It reminds me of precocious young people who can say things they have heard that seem appropriate, but don't really understand what they are saying."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom