• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    And you just participated in this thread.

I dont participate in these threads.

Heres why:

Some dog owners seem to feel that because their poochy loves them it would never hurt any of my kin. Additionally, because poochy is so darn loveable when he roams free without a leash or owner to control him, it makes poochy automatically harmless. Furthermore it suddenly becomes my duty to care for and be compassionate for their poochy regardless of its behavior.

I dont share this philosophy, its not my job to.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    And you just participated in this thread.

You must me new here. I said why I dont participate, saying that is simply walking away. If I participated I would tell you how I have handled this kind of problem before, and everyone who is a dog owner will go postal.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Undiluted amonia in a plastic spray bottle will work wonders in clearing out any dog's sinuses (yours as well). Since the average dog's sense of smell is like a million times more sensitive than a human's this treatment will serve well to teach the errant dogs to keep away from you without harming them or making yourself subject to a lawsuit.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    Undiluted amonia in a plastic spray bottle will work wonders in clearing out any dog's sinuses (yours as well). Since the average dog's sense of smell is like a million times more sensitive than a human's this treatment will serve well to teach the errant dogs to keep away from you without harming them or making yourself subject to a lawsuit.

Ammonia is most certainly harmful and may make you subject to a lawsuit, especially undiluted and sprayed in the face. Check the MSDS.

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Visual_Art/documents/Ammonia.pdf

EYE EFFECTS:
    Mild concentrations of product will cause conjunctivitis. Contact with higher concentrations of product will
    cause swelling of the eyes and lesions with a possible loss of vision.
    SKIN EFFECTS:
    Mild concentrations of product will cause dermatitis or conjunctivitis. Contact with higher concentrations of
    product will cause caustic-like dermal burns and inflammation. Toxic level exposure may cause skin lesions
    resulting in early necrosis and scarring.
    INGESTION EFFECTS:
    Since product is a gas at room temperature, ingestion is unlikely.
    INHALATION EFFECTS:
    Corrosive and irritating to the upper respiratory system and all mucous type tissue. Depending on the
    concentration inhaled, it may cause burning sensations, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, headache,
    nausea, with eventual collapse.
    Inhalation of excessive amounts affects the upper airway (larynx and bronchi) by causing caustic-like burning
    resulting in edema and chemical pneumonitis. If it enters the deep lung, pulmonary edema will result.
    Pulmonary edema and chemical pneumonitis are potentially fatal conditions.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    When you blind the dog, I'd expect a lawsuit. They make dog mace for a reason.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I could say a bit about pitbulls. They are like all other dogs. It depends on the owner. If they were bred for killing why is it that the Little Rascals dog never bit any of them?

I understand what you are saying and dont underestimate your dogs. I know my 70lb pitbull got his behind handed to him by a 50lb mutt female on a daily basis. It was comical to watch seeing my dog being chased by a mutt. After he turned 5 he was able to hold his own but he never locks his jaw or anything.

Have the pits attacked any other dogs? Are they just plain aggressive to other dogs? Sometimes they're just playful. Sometimes they're just jerks and want to assert dominance over the area. Only the ones that have been trained to fight will cause serious injury to other dogs.

However, spray foam is the best. I sprayed an aggressive Doberman and Pitbull pair that the owner would let roam free. The bastards would not attack dogs but hated bicycles and bumped me off my bike a few times. Sprayed them with the foam once when I was on a bike and for a week they would run away from bikes and permanently got that bad habit out of their blood.

Again, foam is great. Nice and sticky and that spray to but might be even better. I say hit them on both ends. They'll learn.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Ok thanks guys for the advice on the sprays/foams.
    To cut off any new posts about arbud's hatred for dogs, I love dogs and always have. Just not pitbulls, and it is not some media hype thing. they are the only dog that have ever bitten me AND one of my daughters. (2 different dogs).
    Soooooo all of you pit bull lovers bring it on, but you know the reason you have them. Do they win tops in the class for agility, coarssing, obedience, etc. no they are bred for one thing. Lets hear how they were your favorite dogs as kids and how you would trust your babies with them---what ever!

Please, pit bulls are great dogs... They are not super dogs and they won't win every fight either. They are no more dangerous than any other powerful breed of dog... Whether it be Rottweiler, German Shepard, Cane Corso, or even Mastiffs. I have had large powerful dogs that have been far more dog aggressive than pitbulls, my first Anatolian Shepard Dog comes to mind, he was over 150 lbs and FAR more dangerous than most pit bulls. I would not bet on the pit bull to take down any of the dogs listed above with certainty. Especially a 150+ lbs of Anatolian... It won't be pretty, as I witnessed my Anatolian toss my 50 lb boxer like a rag doll, after picking it up in it's mouth, yes, the vet bill wasn't cheap.

Dogs behavior is a product of their experiences. If they are taught to be violent, they will be violent, if they are allowed to be dog aggressive, then they will be dog aggressive. I have had aggressive Anatolians and docile ones, it's the upbringing, not the breed. Some breeds have the potential to do more damage than others. I recently fostered a Great Pyrenees, he was very people aggressive, turning him around was difficult. This was a dog that could easily kill a person at 130 lbs, they are no joke. Yet, he's attractive, fluffy, and pretty... right until he lunges at you with teeth bared.

Big powerful dogs are all dangerous, pit bull or not. Your personal experience has taught you that they are dangerous, but rather than generalize to other dogs with higher bite rates, you single out the pit bull as dangerous. Chows for instance are far more likely to bite than pit bulls.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    Ammonia is most certainly harmful and may make you subject to a lawsuit, especially undiluted and sprayed in the face. Check the MSDS.

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Vis...ts/Ammonia.pdf

EYE EFFECTS:
    Mild concentrations of product will cause conjunctivitis. Contact with higher concentrations of product will
    cause swelling of the eyes and lesions with a possible loss of vision.
    SKIN EFFECTS:
    Mild concentrations of product will cause dermatitis or conjunctivitis. Contact with higher concentrations of
    product will cause caustic-like dermal burns and inflammation. Toxic level exposure may cause skin lesions
    resulting in early necrosis and scarring.
    INGESTION EFFECTS:
    Since product is a gas at room temperature, ingestion is unlikely.
    INHALATION EFFECTS:
    Corrosive and irritating to the upper respiratory system and all mucous type tissue. Depending on the
    concentration inhaled, it may cause burning sensations, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, headache,
    nausea, with eventual collapse.
    Inhalation of excessive amounts affects the upper airway (larynx and bronchi) by causing caustic-like burning
    resulting in edema and chemical pneumonitis. If it enters the deep lung, pulmonary edema will result.
    Pulmonary edema and chemical pneumonitis are potentially fatal conditions.

exactly... never f with you again... and yes I'm kiddin but pepper spray is not a 100% on dogs, humans or bears

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom