• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hailtoby that was the reply I was looking for. And yes I sensed everything you meant while you were typing.
    I goaded you and you had the courage to respond.
    Anyway I am going to get some powerful spray and will call Animal Control next time they are loose---which is very infrequently.
    I have called the people before and they say they are wonderful pets and are great with the kids. I then asked how are they with other dogs. She hesitated for a second or two and said she did not know. My point is with these dogs that will end any fight they are in, there are no second chances.
    So I will take all the advice given here and use it. Thank you guys. Bud

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Now that you bring it up, though, youre probably right. All other dogs are ok, but I only keep my pits for one reason, I assume you were alluding to dog fighting or at least wanting a fierce dog known for its skill in pit fighting. Youre right. You would also be right if you assumed my AR and FAL were only for 'assaulting' 30 people at a time, or that the only reason I own a 33rd mag for my glock was to pull a Tuscon. I probably dont need more than a pump shotgun or a bolt action rifle, right? Can you sense my sarcasm? I'm sure you cant see me rolling my eyes as I type this, but if you could, you would feel an impending sense of sarcasm about this paragraph.
    The difference for me is that your AR and or FAL will NEVER fire without you pulling the trigger. They are 100% controllable.
    Large dogs are not 100% controllable. How many times have we seen an owner that can not control their Rot, GSD, Dobies, Pit Bull, Akita, etc etc.

Aggressive dog owners will never admit they bought their dogs for their inherent aggression. How often are dog fighting rings broken up where the dogs involved were not of the ones I mentioned?
    Why didn't Vick and his buddies fight Border Collie's and Lab's? Cause they are not aggressive dogs by nature. Yes they will fight if provoked, but never with the ferocity of the dogs I named. Yes I know there are others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

sorry, just my $.02

FalconMantis

Apr 11, 2011
    I would definitely go with the bear mace or something as strong, but not lethal. Like said, a BB will do nothing more than piss it off. Hell, a .22 or a .380 might not be able to stop it if it's bad ass enough.

Sidebar: My friend's female pit bull chases her cat around all day long. The cat swats her in the nose every time (the dog yelps), but the dog doesn't care at all. I don't think the BB gun is a good idea at all.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I like the pepper spray/bear mace/foam ideas proposed. What about a stun gun? Would that work to break up the fight?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Bear mace is great stuff and it has a good spraying distance too.

I love pit bulls and think they get a bad rap. I F'n hate chows though.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Bad idea. A BB may just irritate them. It would also be hard to explain to the nice officer that just gun faced you because someone called in a report of a "man with a gun". I'd suggest dog mace if it were me. May not make them less aggresive, will make them blind for a while. Oh, and call animal control and report them. It's bad ownership, not bad dogs but it's not going to end well.

I agree with this, it will just piss them off.
    I also agree, pepper spray is the way to go.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Thanks guys. What is the BEST mace or pepper spray. Nothing that will permanatley blind a dog, just WILL WORK 100%

Kimber Guardian Angel

This advanced non-lethal self defense tool stops threats at a safe distance. Small, light and ergonomic, it carries easily in pocket or purse, and an integral clip also secures it to a belt. The outer body conforms to either a right or left-hand grip, and fits almost any size hand. The Guardian Angel contains two cylinders with powerful concentrations of near pharmaceutical grade OC (oleoresin capsicum), a devastatingly effective inflammatory agent. Driven by pyrotechnic charges, the solution travels at 90 MPH with little chance of cross-contamination, and with enough energy to wrap around glasses or penetrate a face mask. Effect is immediate and lasts for up to 45 minutes. Unlike conventional sprays, the Guardian Angel does not lose pressure over time.

Notes:
    Instantly incapacitates an assailant
    Revolutionary propulsion operation
    Jet delivery minimizes cross-contamination
    Delivers two powerful blasts of OC
    This unit has a 2-year shelf life when shipped from Kimber

To Use:
    Push the safety tab away, command threat to stop
    If threat advances, aim and pull the trigger
    Observe reaction. Aim and fire again if necessary
    Move quickly away from threat, call the police

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=148914

148914.jpg

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I think the Kimber product is now being marketed as the 'Pepper Blaster'. They also have a slightly different model that functions the same, but is ergonomically a bit more like a pocket pistol. Just looked it up, it's called the Pepper Blaster II:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/344/344219.jpg

I carry one everywhere.

I settled on it after reading more than one review of people thwarting rabid animals with them. If it'll take down a rabid animal, it should work on just about any dog.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    +2 You harm a dog you'll have more to worry about than the law.

Not if you know the law.
    MD classifies dogs as livestock.
    You are well within your right to destroy livestock at large that is attacking or threatening another person or another animal.
    In AA county you may not be held liable for subduing or destroying livestock at large engaged in such behavior.

Know the law and protect yourself. For dogs there isn't much that's more effective than pepper spray. Yea you might get a runny nose if the wind is wrong but it saves a bunch of heartache.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lol, I'm surprised Chad has not seen this and chimed in yet...:lol2:

I dont participate in these threads.

Heres why:

Some dog owners seem to feel that because their poochy loves them it would never hurt any of my kin. Additionally, because poochy is so darn loveable when he roams free without a leash or owner to control him, it makes poochy automatically harmless. Furthermore it suddenly becomes my duty to care for and be compassionate for their poochy regardless of its behavior.

I dont share this philosophy, its not my job to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom