• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Uberti makes some basic models of their 1873 Cattleman that are affordable. Ruger New Vaqueros are fairly affordable as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Taking you at face value about SAA vs New Vaquero or what ever.

Pretty much means mfg by Uberti or Pietta , sold by various retail names. The drab finishes will be less expensive, and the ( non-authentic) brass grip frame less expensive than steel.

Not quite true SAA, but looks like one from 10 ft away is the EAA Bounty Hunter . Mfg in Germany, has been imported for many years, most well know by. Hawes. Frame is enlarged just enough for .44Mag.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you don't care what caliber it shoots, you can get a Puma 1873 .22LR really cheap (~$150). I bought one for giggles a couple of years ago. Much to my surprise, I like it, it has been reliable, and it's accurate. I doubt it will hold up to abuse, though, so factor that in.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Get a Taylor's Cattleman. Nice case colored frames, firing pin on the hammer, available in a wide variety of calibers. Taylor's imports Uberti firearms, which I have quite a few of. Cimarron is the other big importer.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If you don't care what caliber it shoots, you can get a Puma 1873 .22LR really cheap (~$150). I bought one for giggles a couple of years ago. Much to my surprise, I like it, it has been reliable, and it's accurate. I doubt it will hold up to abuse, though, so factor that in.

Blasphemy! SAA's should only be chambered in 45LC! Just kidding.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I purchased 2 Uberti Cattleman revolvers a few years ago. They are great guns and inexpensive.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Uberti for new made repros.

Hawes Western Marshall were made in Germany by JP Sauer & Sohn and are very high quality. I don't believe any are C&R yet.

Great Western Arms were US made in the 50's and early 60's, and are all C&R now.

If you don't mind something that's not an exact clone, the Ruger Blackhawk (or Vaquero) is a good choice. They're very tough, and Ruger warranties used ones. Ruger changed the design to use coil springs instead of leaf springs, and the Blackhawks have target style adjustable sights. Aside from the springs, the old models had three action screws and were exact SAA clones in their lockwork. The new models with two action screws have different lockwork. Those you can safely carry with all six chambers loaded due to the transfer bar, and you load those just by opening the loading gate, no half cocking the hammer. The trigger is nicer on the old three screws though and you can find them C&R. I found a C&R one to buy while I was still in MD.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147887

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The original Great Westerns were all made in US, albeit contemporary users and reviewers all reported very inconsistant QC.

In recent years, EMF owns the Great Western name, and imports a line of Great Western II revolvers. Mfg by Pietta, they are supposedly mfg specifically to EMF's specs for quality and finish. In any case, generally well reviewed.

As much as I like .45 Colt, it is far from the only authentic SAA cal. While .45Colt was single most popular cal in all generations, in 1st gen, the top 5 included .44-40, .38-40, .32-20, and .41Colt .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom