• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lefever2

Status Unknown
    Jun 19, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Yes, attention to road maintenance seems to stop at the airport. Of course the short access road to the airport is beautifully paved and the side of Catalina is going to have a bicycle path.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Wow, I haven't thought about that place in years. When I lived there, it was called the Chesapeake Ranch Club, but from the little you guys have said, it looks like little has changed since the 80s.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Not just some beetle. This community was built along a shoreline that contains one of two viable populations (worldwide) of the Puritan Tiger beetle which is a critically imperiled, federally threatened species. The developer knew of the restrictions from what I understand when they first proceeded to build and sell lots at this location.. I feel bad for the home owners here, but these beetles can't just be relocated and they have been here before man had ever first laid eyes on this shoreline.

lefever2

Status Unknown
    Jun 19, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    The beetle isn't the real problem. It is gravity. The natural shoreline processes undercut the bottom of the cliffs which is why they are vertical. Stop that process with rip rap and normal slope development will take over and the slope will retreat to about a 30 degree angle which is the stable angle for sediment. Either way your yard and house are gone. You can slow down mother nature but you can't stop it. Sometimes it is slow and other times a storm comes along and woosh, there goes the neighborhood.

p.s. The beetle needs the steep sandy cliffs to survive.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    The beetle isn't the real problem. It is gravity. The natural shoreline processes undercut the bottom of the cliffs which is why they are vertical. Stop that process with rip rap and normal slope development will take over and the slope will retreat to about a 30 degree angle which is the stable angle for sediment. Either way your yard and house are gone. You can slow down mother nature but you can't stop it. Sometimes it is slow and other times a storm comes along and woosh, there goes the neighborhood.

p.s. The beetle needs the steep sandy cliffs to survive.

:thumbsup:

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Bugs over man. Nice.

Bugs over man? Nice, simplify a complex issue to rationalize away a species. Is a person's life at risk? Does our comfort or water front views justify making a species go extinct? We fight tooth and nail for our civil rights, but then justify away the right of something else to live just because we think that it's insignificant. No, I will never say that a bugs life should ever supersede a person's life, but we have been given dominion and the gift of reason to maintain and cultivate this world. IMHO, every one of God's creatures has the right to exist. Just because we are the strongest and smartest, doesn't mean we should just bulldoze the world as we see fit.

Edit: and notice I said earlier that I feel bad for the folks dealing with this. I don't blame them for the anger they feel, and in their shoes I'd be pretty pissed too. However, my anger would be directed towards the developers for developing and selling these properties, especially if they didn't disclose the environmental issues before the contracts were signed.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Bugs over man? Nice, simplify a complex issue to rationalize away a species. Is a person's life at risk? Does our comfort or water front views justify making a species go extinct? We fight tooth and nail for our civil rights, but then justify away the right of something else to live just because we think that it's insignificant. No, I will never say that a bugs life should ever supersede a person's life, but we have been given dominion and the gift of reason to maintain and cultivate this world. IMHO, every one of God's creatures has the right to exist. Just because we are the strongest and smartest, doesn't mean we should just bulldoze the world as we see fit.

I'm sorry. I can't see things your way. What do the bugs contribute to the world? I have no problem with some species becoming extinct. I would not want to live in a world with dinosaurs roaming the earth. I would be happy if mosquitos were wiped off the planet.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    I'm sorry. I can't see things your way. What do the bugs contribute to the world? I have no problem with some species becoming extinct. I would not want to live in a world with dinosaurs roaming the earth. I would be happy if mosquitos were wiped off the planet.

And I can appreciate your feelings about this. I have plenty of older family members who share the same beliefs. However, I hope you appreciate that people like me exist. Just because you don't see the worth in something, doesn't mean that there isn't any. Get rid of Mosquitos, and a whole host of other species that rely on them for food would crash. And we rely on many of those species to pollinate our food. Everything is interconnected. Just because we can't see those connections doesn't mean they don't exist. Unintended consequences are a bitch and slippery slopes are hard to come back from. As far as these beetles, yeah, I don't know what role they play. In fact, because they are so genetically isolated, they probably are already on their way out. It's a tough issue, which is why I feel bad for the homeowners there.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    And I can appreciate your feelings about this. I have plenty of older family members who share the same beliefs. However, I hope you appreciate that people like me exist. Just because you don't see the worth in something, doesn't mean that there isn't any. Get rid of Mosquitos, and a whole host of other species that rely on them for food would crash. And we rely on many of those species to pollinate our food. Everything is interconnected. Just because we can't see those connections doesn't mean they don't exist. Unintended consequences are a bitch and slippery slopes are hard to come back from. As far as these beetles, yeah, I don't know what role they play. In fact, because they are so genetically isolated, they probably are already on their way out. It's a tough issue, which is why I feel bad for the homeowners there.
    I appreciate your rights to have your views. I just don't agree with them. I guess I am more of a Darwinist.

http://insects.about.com/od/flies/f/what-good-are-mosquitoes.htm

To simplify, that would have an adverse affect on our planet.
    I'm willing to take my chances.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Just because we are the strongest and smartest, doesn't mean we should just bulldoze the world as we see fit.

Strongest, yes. Smartest, doubtful. A quick check of the local political arena would probably prove that we're pretty stupid as a whole.

Edit: and notice I said earlier that I feel bad for the folks dealing with this.
    I can't share this view. As the purchaser, you shoulder a lot of responsibility for the decisions you make. It's not anyone else's fault you didn't know the cliffs were eroding. Just as the people in Ca. build on hillsides, then are pissed when a mudslide washes it away. Or the ones that buy next to an airport, then decide it's too loud. Or next to a farm in the picturesque countryside, then decide the farmers fertilizer stinks too much. ..................:sad20:

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Strongest, yes. Smartest, doubtful. A quick check of the local political arena would probably prove that we're pretty stupid as a whole.

I can't share this view. As the purchaser, you shoulder a lot of responsibility for the decisions you make. It's not anyone else's fault you didn't know the cliffs were eroding. Just as the people in Ca. build on hillsides, then are pissed when a mudslide washes it away. Or the ones that buy next to an airport, then decide it's too loud. Or next to a farm in the picturesque countryside, then decide the farmers fertilizer stinks too much. ..................:sad20:

I agree. I don't think these people are without responsibility nor do I think they have the right to then turn around and sue/bill the state or complain, but I do feel bad for them because it's a tough situation. Just like when I see folks out west who foolishly build there homes on ridge lines above and in fire prone habitats. Or folks here who build in floodplains, on beaches or just above mean high tide. It's foolishness and stupidity, and they are responsible for the mess they get into, but I still feel bad for them. While they got what was coming to them, I can still feel some empathy for their plight. :sad20:

Edit: well, not so much the folks who complain just to complain. Live next to a farm and it's going to smell. Live next to an airport and well... What do you expect.

Feb 28, 2013
    Not sure about that, but I believe there are several homes ready to fall into the bay and the EPA won't let the homeowners fix the problem due to some beetle.

Not just some beetle. This community was built along a shoreline that contains one of two viable populations (worldwide) of the Puritan Tiger beetle which is a critically imperiled, federally threatened species. The developer knew of the restrictions from what I understand when they first proceeded to build and sell lots at this location.. I feel bad for the home owners here, but these beetles can't just be relocated and they have been here before man had ever first laid eyes on this shoreline.

Is this why they've had Golden West Way closed for so damn long? It's enough of a pain in the ass to get in and out of there with a truck when you DON'T have to use two different entrances.

That makes two of us.

http://insects.about.com/od/flies/f/what-good-are-mosquitoes.htm

To simplify, that would have an adverse affect on our planet.

Like what? Malaria bacteria might die out?

Feb 28, 2013

Well Calvert county sure has plenty of money to waste.

I delivered 10 $1,500 chairs to the courthouse last week. :sad20:

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Do you consider this to be genocide?

In your opinion, is this possible genocide? Or is the application of your philosophy limited to certain species?

If this is genocide, then is there anyone on this board who would be willing to offer-up themselves as ecological niches for this lovable little RNA-virus? /sarc

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i cant believe with all the theft from foreclosed houses and theft from cars and vandalism and the weed ,percocete and oxy and heroine problems happening in the cre i believe the beetles are the least of the problems. its getting like pg south.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom