• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Some community feedback:

Saleem points to community policing as partial solution to the crime in the area. He advocates for having more officers walking the streets and engaging with the community.

More officers, eh? Where do you suppose they pull them from?

“We’re not ready to leave yet, but oh my God, how much more of this do I have to take?” said Hessler. “We’re dying and we’re about to give up.”

You got exactly what you voted for.

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    At the Wharf last night

Might need to start carrying the new Fed rifle (like that would ever be legal here)

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Wow. They put billions of dollars into this development only to have armed gangs infiltrate it.

You know who’s in charge of security at The Wharf?

Somebody said there's been 25 robberies at the Wharf in the last 3 months.

What's the best defense to stop armed jump outs like that?

Armed special police roving units? Armed off-duty MPD roving units?

This town is just getting crazier day by day.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Somebody said there's been 25 robberies at the Wharf in the last 3 months.

What's the best defense to stop armed jump outs like that?

Armed special police roving units? Armed off-duty MPD roving units?

This town is just getting crazier day by day.
    I believe it.

Posted marked police vehicles with flashing lights on at all times.

Since we’re currently stuck with 10 round magazines, practice your reloads.

Indeed it is. Indeed it is.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While there's a lot of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching about all this, I suspect that the best short-term solution for those who are able to implement it would be the Dilbert solution.

Leave the area. It will not be sorted out in the immediate future, and it will get worse. The problem was brought about by the same people who are unable to find the solution, and it's going to take a sea change in attitude from the top - which will take years to shift - and then a generation or more to implement.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    While there's a lot of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching about all this, I suspect that the best short-term solution for those who are able to implement it would be the Dilbert solution.

Leave the area. It will not be sorted out in the immediate future, and it will get worse. The problem was brought about by the same people who are unable to find the solution, and it's going to take a sea change in attitude from the top - which will take years to shift - and then a generation or more to implement.
    7nodhl.jpg

How about another public safety walk?:

EDIT: Looks like the robbery video was deleted for some reason. Here it is for people who missed it:

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

Bowser has said she wants MPD to have 4,000 officers by 2031. The MPD predicts that according to trends, the department will have 3,279 sworn members at the end of fiscal 2023 and just 3,131 sworn members at the end of fiscal 2024.

Congratulations.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Bowser has said she wants MPD to have 4,000 officers by 2031. The MPD predicts that according to trends, the department will have 3,279 sworn members at the end of fiscal 2023 and just 3,131 sworn members at the end of fiscal 2024.

Congratulations.
    Yup, And the DC political establishment will not support the police to any realistic extent. Meanwhile, few sane individuals are interested in a LEO career, for understandable reasons. So candidates will be less qualified than would be desirable. This will affect morale of the remaining veterans.

DC and the Dems acros the nation have screwed the pooch, and will continue to get what they deserve.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Yup, And the DC political establishment will not support the police to any realistic extent. Meanwhile, few sane individuals are interested in a LEO career, for understandable reasons. So candidates will be less qualified than would be desirable. This will affect morale of the remaining veterans.

DC and the Dems acros the nation have screwed the pooch, and will continue to get what they deserve.
    Spot-on. MPD is in a death spiral.

Short of Congress removing Home Rule, I don’t see this getting better anytime soon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Large sprawling upscale complex with easy access , and a sufficiency of presumably well heeled potential robees . Swoop up in s stolen ride , jump out and hold up the nearest group of wandering patrons , and dash off in stolen ride . Difficult to prevent .

Hypothetically , the municipal PD could step up their Criminal Intelligence , track and crack down on robbery gangs accross the city generally . ...... See everything above about MPD being understaffed , and spread thin with major crime activity all over .

( In this one instance , it's high profile enough , that resources would be reallocated , and all the snitches worked hard for leads . But that's a one time Management by Crisis response . Not sustainable , or repeatable every time affluent citizens get robbed in other neighborhoods .)

The Wharf management could follow the example of various high end retail/ residential / entertainment multi block developments in NYC . Create their own de facto Private Police Department . Spend the $$ to hire top candidates at MPD salary or higher , saturation coverage , including roving cars with multiple Ofc as quick response . Blondie has the knowledge and management chops to run it .

But will Management be willing to spend the $$$$ to do that ? This isn't Manhattan or Johannesburg .

And will the DC Government/ City Council have the political will the first time a car load of SPO's have a running gun battle with robbers thru the city streets ? Unlikely either .

Loosen the Carry Permit process , and off limits zones , so that a meaning portion of the patrons can defend themselves ? Ha ha ha ha ha

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Spot-on. MPD is in a death spiral.

Short of Congress removing Home Rule, I don’t see this getting better anytime soon.
    Short of the Democratic Party being removed from office nation-wide, and a process of restoring personal responsibility into the population, at the grade school level, and government support of those unwilling to work brought to heel, I don't see anything getting better.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Large sprawling upscale complex with easy access , and a sufficiency of presumably well heeled potential robees . Swoop up in s stolen ride , jump out and hold up the nearest group of wandering patrons , and dash off in stolen ride . Difficult to prevent .

Hypothetically , the municipal PD could step up their Criminal Intelligence , track and crack down on robbery gangs accross the city generally . ...... See everything above about MPD being understaffed , and spread thin with major crime activity all over .

( In this one instance , it's high profile enough , that resources would be reallocated , and all the snitches worked hard for leads . But that's a one time Management by Crisis response . Not sustainable , or repeatable every time affluent citizens get robbed in other neighborhoods .)

The Wharf management could follow the example of various high end retail/ residential / entertainment multi block developments in NYC . Create their own de facto Private Police Department . Spend the $$ to hire top candidates at MPD salary or higher , saturation coverage , including roving cars with multiple Ofc as quick response . Blondie has the knowledge and management chops to run it .

But will Management be willing to spend the $$$$ to do that ? This isn't Manhattan or Johannesburg .

And will the DC Government/ City Council have the political will the first time a car load of SPO's have a running gun battle with robbers thru the city streets ? Unlikely either .

Loosen the Carry Permit process , and off limits zones , so that a meaning portion of the patrons can defend themselves ? Ha ha ha ha ha
    All great points here. It's a target rich environment which is severely under-patrolled.

MPD is spread thin and continuing to get even more thin by the month/year, so this will only get worse from here on out. The Wharf needs its own dedicated force salaried with top candidates for saturation coverage and roaming response as you said. There's simply no other way to do this.

This robbery is definitely high profile, and potentially a business/investment killer, so I completely agree that sources and snitches will be worked hard for it.

The people living or running businesses at The Wharf should be covering the cost of this additional security. Hike the price of parking a bit so visitors pitch in and fund it with that too.

Crime is more expensive than the money spent to prevent or solve it. I hope The Wharf's management realizes this.

Is there a prohibition for carrying on The Wharf?: https://www.wharfdc.com/wharf/frequently-asked-questions/

I don't see anything specifically prohibiting it here.

Sure glad we have that 10 Round Magazine Capacity Limit as well. I'm sure the guns these thugs were carrying were all DC Compliant.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    You didn't read your link all the way thru . Weapons are prohibited from public areas of the Wharf .

Doing it right will be $$$ . Too much for Management to just eat . Then comes how much the rental market will bear .
    Ah there it is. Thanks. I word-searched for guns and firearms.

I don’t plan on going to The Wharf. I don’t need these problems.

That’s money they’re not getting from me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Chief Contee doubles down on DEI while department continues to shrink, while celebrating the increase in female officers; reformists still pushing for fewer police; one sentence mentions Conservative viewpoint, followed with the "buts"; ACLU spokesperson "argued that expanding the number of police risks “destabilizing communities, doubling down on mass incarceration, and perpetuating systemic racism and trauma.”

Good effing luck, morons. Keep on killing each other, while going after the well-to-do. Let's opt for the South Africa Solution in DC.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ah there it is. Thanks. I word-searched for guns and firearms.

I don’t plan on going to The Wharf. I don’t need these problems.

That’s money they’re not getting from me.

Only place I still patronise in DC is the Calvert Woodley Deli.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom