• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMD354

I got an email today claiming that this is what happened to a S&W 629 while using chinese 44 mag ammo. The more I looked the more I thought that the guy more then likely fire a squib and then fire another round without clearing the barrel.

Attachments

• ATT000674.jpg
      ATT000674.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 149
    • ATT000702.jpg
      ATT000702.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 156
    • ATT000731.jpg
      ATT000731.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 150
    • ATT000763.jpg
      ATT000763.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 156
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Those pics are years old. The ammo was overcharged reloads made right here in the good old USA, using US components. I'd like to see a link or two for Red Chinese .44 Magnum ammo being sold here in the US. Also, if the barrel were plugged, it would be bulged.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=132413

http://www.craigboyce.com/w/2011/04/44-magnum-ammo-accident/

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...416-44-mag-mishap-chinese-ammunition-bad.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/179487-chinese-44-mag-ammo.html

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?35366-44-Magnum-Accident

... and so on...

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    That looks like good ole "Chinese quality control" on the ammo. I've never even seen
    44 mag ammo manufactured by Chinese, at least I didn't realize it.
    Hoped the shooter was wearing eye protection and is OK. I'm sure someone will blame
    it on the internal lock!

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Well it might have been around for years but today was the first time for me.

Understood. What we're trying to tell you is, do a little research before putting up something like this, because we crotchety old bastards won't hesitate to tell you it's old news and give you the real story behind it. ;)

Dang, know what? I like the sound of "crotchety old bastard"... gonna use it some more. :D

PMD354

I don't know about doing the research. I like the rantings from crotchety old bastards. Thats half the reason I like reading the posts. I've been known to do a little ranting myself. A couple of weeks ago someone was saying how he heard of this new trick about cutting shotgun shells to make them act like slugs. I learned this 45 years ago.

Thanks for responding.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Definitely not Chinese. The only "Western" calibers the Chinese sold to the U.S. market were military calibers, 7.62 NATO/308 Winchester, 9mm, .45ACP, and 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I don't know about doing the research. I like the rantings from crotchety old bastards. That's half the reason I like reading the posts. I've been known to do a little ranting myself.

:D I wasn't ranting. Believe me, you'll know when I'm ranting. As you hang around here, you'll run into posts that are answered with "Dupe" (duplicate), a link to another thread on the same subject, and the suggestion to check dates and do a Search before posting something that may have already been posted. It's just a way to reduce repetition and help out the overworked moderators.

A couple of weeks ago someone was saying how he heard of this new trick about cutting shotgun shells to make them act like slugs. I learned this 45 years ago.

I'm no expert on shot shells, but that maxes out the old BS meter.

Thanks for responding.

You bet. :cool:

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I got an email today claiming that this is what happened to a S&W 629 while using chinese 44 mag ammo. The more I looked the more I thought that the guy more then likely fire a squib and then fire another round without clearing the barrel.

The Chinese have never loaded anything with a Hornady XTP bullet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The burst M629 is typical for extreme overpressure. Commonly caused by a double charge of fast burning powder. If it were obstructed bore , it would be bulged , if not burst, at the point of obstruction.

It's hard to say when "ringed" shotshells were first done. Acording to the folklore was most common during the Great Depression , when people needed venison to eat , but didn't have money for storebought Pumpkin Balls .

According to semi recent testing it sorta worked.. Whith a little luck , and care in slitting , would usually have the accuraccy to hit a deer at 20-25yds. Undoubtedly gave extra resistance passing thru the full chokes common of the day. But with paper shells and no shot cups unlikely to cause damage to the gun. Of course in modern times now , just buy a box of Foster slugs.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Allow me to ruminate about what happened to that poor revolver. In a previous life I was a technical writer, and I'm going to use some of the engineering language I was taught years ago to describe catastrophic failures. I won't mind if you don't bother reading it :)

Apparently, the idiotic owner loaded the revolver, or allowed it to be loaded, with overcharged ammunition. When the hammer came down and ignited the first cartridge, the ensuing pressure spike overcame the ultimate tensile strength of the steel surrounding it. The top half of the cylinder must have broken into several fragments, which were propelled outward along with the upper longitudinal of the frame, which also failed. The cylinder axle was also ejected. The end of the barrel is fragmented as well. Must have been one spectacular damn explosion.

Evidently the intensity of the shock wave was enough to cause sympathetic ignition of the propellant inside the adjacent cartridges. This would have caused little damage other than rupturing their cases, as the fracturing of the cylinder would have been complete, or nearly so, by the time they ignited. The bullet in the cartridge on the right was propelled entirely out, but the one on the left is seen partially ejected in the mouth of the chamber.

There is no evidence in the photographs that the bore was obstructed. The bullet of the failed cartridge may have passed through the bore and exited the muzzle in the usual way, or it may have lodged in the bore due to insufficient pressure behind it.

Well, cool. That was more fun than describing what will most likely happen if a solar panel falls off a comsat :D

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    It shouldn't it is an old known practice. Just like waxing shells.

You've piqued my interest. I've got to research this.

ADD: Ah, now I see. I found a couple of YouTube videos demonstrating the technique of cutting the shell body. Even with the usual inarticulate, mumbling narration, I could see that cutting the shell ahead of the propellant charge causes the forward part of the shell to go down the bore with the shot charge, and the shot stays enclosed and tightly packed for some distance. Must be hard on the choke, though. :(

Then I looked up "waxing" and that seems to be less hard on the gun.

Both techniques were completely new to me. Well, you learn something every day.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I see only one barrel, and no evidence that it was plugged. Please explain what you mean.
    Sorry, let me make that singular for you...BARREL

Now that English class is over :D

I am not expert, but barrels get plugged to make guns like model cap guns, movie props etc. Just taking a stab at it. No expert opinion here by far.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Sorry, let me make that singular for you...BARREL

Now that English class is over :D

I am not expert, but barrels get plugged to make guns like model cap guns, movie props etc. Just taking a stab at it. No expert opinion here by far.

Tell you what, I'll drop the subject so you won't feel the need to get really silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom