• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Everest

Jun 5, 2016
    How difficult is the live fire portion of the Wear and Carry. is the 70% required so easy anyone who has picked up a pistol can pass or should I brush up on my skills before the class?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I wouldn't say it is "hard" but it is good to get your game up because you will stress yourself out and not perform as you do on your own. The timer hates everyone.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I wouldn't say it is "hard" but it is good to get your game up because you will stress yourself out and not perform as you do on your own. The timer hates everyone.
    *beep* fumbling..

Also

*Beep* oh.. I'm billy kid.. watch this.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its not that difficult. I have instructed several absolute new to handgun students to pass it in one day of instruction.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Sorry for the formatting...

Basic Shooting Course For All Other Applicants- Carry Permit
    BASIC PRACTICAL HANDGUN COURSE (BPHC)
    Total Rounds – Twenty-Five (25)
    Minimum passing score = 70%
    18 rounds of 25 rounds = 72%
    Total possible score= 125 pts
    Minimum passing score= 90 pts
    SCORING Any round inside or touching the black silhouette
    is 5 points. Any round in the white or unaccounted for
    is 0 points

TARGET B-27

All magazines will be filled with 5 rounds regardless of capacity

3 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER
    ROUTINE LOAD 5 rounds and assume the LOW READY POSITION.

On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN,finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go to a DEPRESSED PISTOL position.

Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor. If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any
    magazines with 5 rounds as needed from the next shooting position.

5 YARD LINE – 10 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER

On Command – raise your weapon, fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, perform a DRY RELOAD, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go to a DEPRESSED PISTOL position.
    Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor. If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any

7 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER

Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor.
    If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any magazines with 5 rounds as needed from the next shooting position.

15 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds.
    On Command – CLEAR, INSPECT, PRESENT WEAPON FOR
    INSPECTION OF ARMS and PROPERLY SECURE THE EMPTY WEAPON AS INSTRUCTED BY A CERTIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR.

Sorry for the formatting...

Basic Shooting Course For All Other Applicants- Carry Permit
    BASIC PRACTICAL HANDGUN COURSE (BPHC)
    Total Rounds – Twenty-Five (25)
    Minimum passing score = 70%
    18 rounds of 25 rounds = 72%
    Total possible score= 125 pts
    Minimum passing score= 90 pts
    SCORING Any round inside or touching the black silhouette
    is 5 points. Any round in the white or unaccounted for
    is 0 points

TARGET B-27

All magazines will be filled with 5 rounds regardless of capacity

3 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER

On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN,finger off the trigger and back to low ready.

5 YARD LINE – 10 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER

On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, perform a DRY RELOAD, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go back to low ready.

7 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER

Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor.
    If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any magazines with 5 rounds as needed from the next shooting position.

15 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds.
    On Command – CLEAR, INSPECT, PRESENT WEAPON FOR
    INSPECTION OF ARMS and PROPERLY SECURE THE EMPTY WEAPON AS INSTRUCTED BY A CERTIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR.
    What does it mean by "cover"? Physically take cover or just hold on target?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    How difficult is the live fire portion of the Wear and Carry. is the 70% required so easy anyone who has picked up a pistol can pass or should I brush up on my skills before the class?

*****Never hurts to practice this very important skill that may one day be called upon to save your life and that of others. Here is another reason: those that have a CCW need to be very familiar with their weapon as in times of stress you will revert back to your training and have a LOT of adrenaline going through you to make things more difficult. We recommend (I teach CCW and other classes) a minimum of 2000 rounds of live fire practice per year with your carry gun - it really needs to become an extension of your arm and drawing and firing needs to be smooth and fast with decent combat accuracy. You need to practice in a variety of clothing that you may be using for concealment, Winter as well as more temperate climates, etc.. as that will change in some respects how you draw the weapon in many cases.

Anyway, bottom line is don't make the mistake of assuming that just because you "pass" that you will be able to efficiently and effectively draw, point, and shoot your weapon if God forbid you actually have to *really* use it one day, unless you practice regularly.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I agree with the sentiment of practice is recommended just for the sake of practice. In my class of ~20 or so, only one person needed some additional work. It is not hard to meet the requirements.

There was one security guard applicant who was at a high level. He had phenomenal groupings. I told him he needed to be police. :)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Excellent posting. Some may not be able to spend the bucks for that much range time/ammo per year due to other expenses but the guys at my one job who do the carry class have a practical floor of about a thousand per year and they strongly suggest that it not be all at once, especially if someone carries a smaller gun. They suggest monthly range time, every two weeks being better.
    *****Never hurts to practice this very important skill that may one day be called upon to save your life and that of others. Here is another reason: those that have a CCW need to be very familiar with their weapon as in times of stress you will revert back to your training and have a LOT of adrenaline going through you to make things more difficult. We recommend (I teach CCW and other classes) a minimum of 2000 rounds of live fire practice per year with your carry gun - it really needs to become an extension of your arm and drawing and firing needs to be smooth and fast with decent combat accuracy. You need to practice in a variety of clothing that you may be using for concealment, Winter as well as more temperate climates, etc.. as that will change in some respects how you draw the weapon in many cases.

Anyway, bottom line is don't make the mistake of assuming that just because you "pass" that you will be able to efficiently and effectively draw, point, and shoot your weapon if God forbid you actually have to *really* use it one day, unless you practice regularly.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    My course includes about 4-5 hours of range time. The qualification is not difficult, but I want my students to be more prepared. TD

Everest

Jun 5, 2016
    *****Never hurts to practice this very important skill that may one day be called upon to save your life and that of others. Here is another reason: those that have a CCW need to be very familiar with their weapon as in times of stress you will revert back to your training and have a LOT of adrenaline going through you to make things more difficult. We recommend (I teach CCW and other classes) a minimum of 2000 rounds of live fire practice per year with your carry gun
    Yeah, in the Before Rona times I went out to the range every other week to practice to put at least 50 (often 100) rounds down range with my "home defense" guns and made an effort to do the USPSA matches every couple months at Machine gun nest when they were doing them. I'm almost certainly going to get back to the habit of making it to the range a couple times a month.
    Noted, the reason I asked was the fact that I'm aware I'm probably not going to be as sharp as I once was since i really haven't done much in the last 6 months, and just didn't want to make a fool of myself in the class. :D

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wouldn't say it is "hard" but it is good to get your game up because you will stress yourself out and not perform as you do on your own. The timer hates ev
    LMAO---Truer words have never been spoken.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, in the Before Rona times I went out to the range every other week to practice to put at least 50 (often 100) rounds down range with my "home defense" guns and made an effort to do the USPSA matches every couple months at Machine gun nest when they were doing them. I'm almost certainly going to get back to the habit of making it to the range a couple times a month.

Noted, the reason I asked was the fact that I'm aware I'm probably not going to be as sharp as I once was since i really haven't done much in the last 6 months, and just didn't want to make a fool of myself in the class. :D
    The fear of making a fool of yourself is what seems to get students the worst cases of nerves. Many fear failing a qual, having to retake a class or spend more money, but the biggest thing seems to be fear of humiliation in front of their peers.

In a level one class, my opinion (feel free to differ) is that safety comes first. After that, an instructor should attempt to run the class in such a way that applies the least stress to a student in order to achieve the best results. People don't retain information well under stress. In higher level courses, one can pump up the adrenaline more but entry level students may have never drawn from a holster period, let alone under time pressure.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The fear of making a fool of yourself is what seems to get students the worst cases of nerves. Many fear failing a qual, having to retake a class or spend more money, but the biggest thing seems to be fear of humiliation in front of their peers.

In a level one class, my opinion (feel free to differ) is that safety comes first. After that, an instructor should attempt to run the class in such a way that applies the least stress to a student in order to achieve the best results. People don't retain information well under stress. In higher level courses, one can pump up the adrenaline more but entry level students may have never drawn from a holster period, let alone under time pressure.
    Yup, it should be about the student and delivering the appropriate training.
    TD

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Class should be taught to succeed. I agree, its about the student. Everyone should come to class with the feeling that the instructor is there to help and encourage them to pass all elements of the class.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I was big into pistol shooting before Covid, even regularly shooting matches. Totally lost momentum after Covid hit, getting a permit will be the incentive I need to train regularly again.

I’m sure I have some rust to knock off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom