• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I think that more people listing items for sale on the classifieds section need to offer the option for Paypal or accept credit cards.
    Paypal is self explanatory except when it offers the buyer the chance to use Bill me Later (at 6 mo. same as cash) or a credit card to pay the seller instead of having cash available.
    Also, Paypal now has a credit card reader you can order (for no charge) for your smartphone. Square is also another service that allows you to accept credit cards through your smartphone.

I understand that accepting credit cards cost the seller 2-3% fee, but that can be added to the buyer's total before the card is swiped.

I know I sure would have bought a few more items if I could have paid without cash.

Just thought I would make it known to some who are not aware of these options.

Jul 1, 2012
    While it is convenient, PayPal is violently anti-gun and we shouldn't support them anymore than we have to IMHO. They have a very rigid policy of no payments for firearms, ammo and some knives (and other "bad" things) and will seize/freeze your account if there's even a wiff of it. I lucked out and just got a warning and a phone call (no fooling, a real live person) a few months ago because someone referenced "pistol" when they bought something from me outside the warm embrace of evilBay. They are very thorough, careful (and invasive) about reviewing ALL transactions. Puts the NSA to shame. As the recipient of the payment, you have no recourse if the buyer puts some dumb-a'd memo in there that hoses you up. Oh, and they'll also retrieve (snatch? steal?) the payment for the item and THEN freeze your account. And for all that they charge you, the recipient, 3%

And yes, you can send a "gift" to family and friends for free on both ends, but all it takes is a careless comment in the memo section or notes and you're both done. Not worth the risk.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I lucked out and just got a warning and a phone call (no fooling, a real live person) a few months ago because someone referenced

You actually got to speak with someone at paypal? Holy smokes. I tried to resolve an issue with them a couple of years ago and was convinced I was just dealing with a supercomputer.

While paypal is convenient, they are owned by ebay who, as you mentioned are opposed to any transaction involving guns. We as a community should do our best to avoid giving them any of our money or worse yet information.

wanman75

Jan 17, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    These folks aren't happy.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I don't even like using Paypal as a *buyer*, so I can only image the hellish experience some sellers go through. I especially enjoyed having a purchase limit imposed on my account which would only be increased if I gave them my SSN and bank information. Ha!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The only good part about paypal is their courtesy service that allows to send/receive electronic payments to friends and family for free. It is extremely expensive for sellers to use otherwise; god forbid someone pay you with a credit card. Between the paypal fee and the credit card fee you are looking at like 7%-8%.

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I understand everyone's point of view, but no where do you have to mention what the transaction is for.
    Also, Square is another option which uses credit cards and they do not care what your business is.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Honestly, there's no way I'd accept anything other than cash or a USPS money order from anyone that I don't personally know. If I had a business, sure. Otherwise there is simply no reason for me to complicate the occasional small items I sell to that level.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Honestly, there's no way I'd accept anything other than cash or a USPS money order from anyone that I don't personally know. If I had a business, sure. Otherwise there is simply no reason for me to complicate the occasional small items I sell to that level.

This :thumbsup:, I am not going through the headache of paypal and credit card readers . No one that uses the classifieds here is in business , well they should not be anyway .

Cash is king , USPS money order is next in line . I have taken two checks before but only from people I know and are respected here .

On a side note I have a few old wanted to buy threads and got emails today from a member that joined today that apparently has for sale EVERYTHING I want :rolleyes:.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    PayPal froze my cash account and wouldn't let me access MY money, after I used my PAYPAL-BACKED VISA DEBIT CARD (not my PayPal account) to buy ammo from Century Arms.

F*** PayPal, and eBay (their parent corp.) I cancelled both accounts, and told them both to go to hell.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    BTW - shouldn't paypal be considered a monopoly since it has no competition

Google wallet and others are alternatives. Def not a monopoly.

Also, Square is another option which uses credit cards and they do not care what your business is.

No. There is a good thread here on MDS where square chaged its terms of use to banning firearms type transactions. IIRC several small dealers/ffls who use it were told to go elsewhere.

I'm w/ joppaj. If I don't know you, I want green cash or a USPS MO in my hand. Too many ways to get chargebacks and such on credit cards and other payment means.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I agree 100%+.

I'm not in business, nor do agree to accept anything other than cash.
    (I'm too lazy to go to the bank and cash/deposit a Postal Money Order.)

"Cash is king."

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I will not take payment for anything major or gun-related through PP. They have a history of suspending transactions/accounts they don't agree with, and their dispute system is laughable at best. The only reason it exists is because it is convenient.

Gunpal, may you rest in pieces. We all knew it was too good to be true.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The classifieds are a courtsey for the members as private individuals. If you want the advantages of buying from a real business , then ...

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    When someone says that they will only accept paypal, I will not even consider doing business with them even if it is something that I really really really want. Paypal pissed me off years ago.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

QFT. :thumbsup:

"I don't sell things on MDS often, but when I do, Cash is King."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom