• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I’m picking up a new Springfield Garrison 1911 from MSP jail tomorrow. Do you experienced shooters out there clean and lube a factory new pistol before shooting it, or do you just go for it?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'd take it apart, run a cleaning rod with brush and then patches thru the barrel (always from breach towards muzzle) just in case anything's in there. check all the rails, mating points, etc for enough lube or add as needed. then blast away. congrats!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    i'd take it apart, run a cleaning rod with brush and then patches thru the barrel (always from breach towards muzzle) just in case anything's in there. check all the rails, mating points, etc for enough lube or add as needed. then blast away. congrats!

What he said.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

This. I might be less thorough, but close.

JKM525

Feb 7, 2022
    Sure won’t hurt to give it a quick once over. Definitely lube it up, but there’s not going to be much for you to actually “clean” if there is no carbon buildup.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Wrecked a shotgun years ago. Brand new from Beretta, pulled the bolt back and someone hadn't done a good job cleaning metal shavings out of the receiver. Scored up the whole inside of the gun. They replaced it totally free of charge and maybe cleaning it wouldn't have saved me in that particular instance but I always clean new guns.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Agree , clean it. Bought a pc9 couple weeks ago and it was dripping with oil . I always have the fear of the unknown . Until I actually visually inspect something new ( take apart) I’m not all warm and fuzzy about shooting it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I like to fold a cleaning patch around the edge of a business card and run it up and down the rails and re-lube.

that's part of all my handgun cleaning rituals. i cut up pmc bronze 223 20-round boxes and fold patches over them. excellent way to get in the rails! then i also hit them with q-tips. otherwise it's like rubbing compound in there wearing the surfaces away.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Read Owner's Manual.
    I then clean the barrel and make sure there are no obstructions, remove all factory lube from the firearm and inspect for any obvious issues, re-lube and shoot.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    A few months back I was at the range with a couple of new purchases, gave them a basic cleaning (run a couple patches or a bore-snake through the barrel, clean and grease the slide), and had no problems.

The guy next to me had a jam-o-matic. He'd just bought it, taken it to the range, pulled it out of the box without cleaning it, and wasn't having a good time. I'd rather clean a new gun, eliminate that as a issue and know the gun may require a break-in or need to be sent back to the manufacturer if it won't run properly.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I normally prescribe to the quick clean and lube school of thought as well however;

I took a brand new G30SF with back home to Illinois without remembering to clean it before we left Maryland.
    Once in Illinois, I rolled the dice and shot it anyway .... it shot Glock-like. Boringly reliable.

Not a good idea, but I got away with it once with the Glock but I don't plan to make a habit of it.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    6 o'clock carry? :innocent0

I think that's more shit the shoot out of it, lol

OP:. what everyone else has said. wetpatch down the barrel followed by a dry one and make sure the rails, barrel link and barrel bushing have a thin coating of grease on them. Sear, disconnector and hammer get a drop or two of oil.

1911s especially like to be run on the "wet" side and I have found they like grease. Happily, just about any grease will do. Everyone has their favorite, me included, but in reality it really doesn't matter as long as it is safe for the finish (which most are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom