• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Ok, so's I figured I'd field strip and clean my new garand. I get 'er all apart, only to notice that the brass cleaning rod I have is in no way going to make it the length of the barrel since the receiver would force the inflexible rod to go in at an angle. I'm sorta stumped here. I did some reading - it looks like my options are a bore guide for the muzzle to use a rod or a jag on some sort of "string" to pull patches through. I mighta missed something here, so I figured I'd ask for some friendly advice.

I got everything but the bore cleaned, oiled or greased, so I can shoot this thing once I get the bore cleaned. I just don't know the best and fastest way to get the stuff I need and get'r'done, cuz i'd really, really like to shoot it this weekend.

I figured if all else failed I'd call the good folks at gun connection and see what they said, but it's a bit early yet for them :)

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    You have to clean the bore from the muzzle. I use a one piece rod with a bore guide. If you're careful you can clean the bore with a rod from the muzzle without a bore guide. Alternately you can use a bore snake.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You have to clean the bore from the muzzle. I use a one piece rod with a bore guide. If you're careful you can clean the bore with a rod from the muzzle without a bore guide. Alternately you can use a bore snake.

This.

Everytime you take the rifle in and out fo the stock you are putting wear on the stock that will reduce acuracy.

I take mine out once a year for a full cleaning, everything else is done with the rifle in the stock. I run a snake every few hundred rounds, clean the chamber and check the grease (not oil).

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    This.

Everytime you take the rifle in and out fo the stock you are putting wear on the stock that will reduce acuracy.

I take mine out once a year for a full cleaning, everything else is done with the rifle in the stock. I run a snake every few hundred rounds, clean the chamber and check the grease (not oil).

This +1...

I run a bore snake after each shooting session, be it 20, 30, or whatever # of rnds. I'll touch up the lube throughout the season. I'll break down the rifle at the end of the season, for a good cleaning and lube...

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom