• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I have 6 shooting star CMC mags, been using them for the past 10 years and have had no problems. Frame looks untouched, I'll keep an eye on it though.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    We are talking damage to aluminum or alloy frames correct? No issues with steel guns? Do the Wilson 47D's have this issue too?

I started buying Tripp mags for my 45's and 10mm Deltas just to be safe.

Thanks Chad.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    It's strickly a aluminum/alloy frame problem. When I was shooting a steel frame 1911 for work and IDPA, I used nothing but CMC 8 rd stainless shooting star magazines....never a feeding/magazine problem and no damage to the weapon. I have used some Tripp magazines in the past, had trouble with one, which was solved with a garbage can lol. There are alot of posts about which magazines to use in aluminum/alloy frame guns on 1911forum.com.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    We are talking damage to aluminum or alloy frames correct? No issues with steel guns? Do the Wilson 47D's have this issue too?

I started buying Tripp mags for my 45's and 10mm Deltas just to be safe.

Thanks Chad.

Not all guns get damaged.

It's strickly a aluminum/alloy frame problem. When I was shooting a steel frame 1911 for work and IDPA, I used nothing but CMC 8 rd stainless shooting star magazines....never a feeding/magazine problem and no damage to the weapon. I have used some Tripp magazines in the past, had trouble with one, which was solved with a garbage can lol. There are alot of posts about which magazines to use in aluminum/alloy frame guns on 1911forum.com.

No its not just aluminum framed 1911s that get damaged. Ive seen hundreds of 1911's with steel frames damaged, from every manufacturer.

I have 6 shooting star CMC mags, been using them for the past 10 years and have had no problems. Frame looks untouched, I'll keep an eye on it though.

Not all guns get damaged.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not with their crappy new followers. They bind up like a gun full of old WD40. I did a thread about them, they definately have cheaped out.

Use Mecgar or Tripp mags, they havent cut corners yet.

Mine are several years old. Maybe I'm OK. I started buying the Tripp mags anyway just to be safe.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have some 47D's from late 2010, early 2011 and I will tear one down and compare to the new 500's I bought. The follower in the new 500's are paper thin.

Chad says the issues occur when the gun is dirty, so I have some shooting to do. The gun was nice and clean but I just fired 100 rounds of PMC Bronze and Speer ball out of it.

I may have to visit 1911forums and ask the WC guy on the forums about their followers.

Quake_the_Greatest

Jan 22, 2011
    Correct, the new Wilson mags are noting like they used to be. The followers are flimsy and they bind up BAD. I say avoid CMC and Wilson

Tripp and Mec-Gar are my choices. You could always upgrade a CMC or Wilson with Tripp Followers, but thats an EXPENSIVE mag once you add up the costs.
    My experience is that Wilson's work fine, until you drop them in the dirt or worse, sand. You can take it apart and clean it easily but until you do a dropped Wilson mag is just going to take up room in your range bag.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My experience is that Wilson's work fine, until you drop them in the dirt or worse, sand. You can take it apart and clean it easily but until you do a dropped Wilson mag is just going to take up room in your range bag.

Old Wilson mags, yes. New one not so much.

BTW, have you bought a Wilson lately? Have you taken it apart and moved the follower in the Mag Body?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom