• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This is the Field Grade I got last month. It’s an Ithaca with the original finish that was originally shipped on May 7, 1945, to RIA as part of a 5k gun batch. Barrel is a Flannery still with the bluing.

I did a FOIA request on it this week and was surprised to see that it remained in service until 1999.

I added the Scoville mag and belt rig.

1MbNYsE_d.webp

RMU6Lde_d.webp

3hH4cGy_d.webp

leqEOfA_d.webp

cDtAbpJ_d.webp

u7gDPea_d.webp

XJmbouy_d.webp

J5vHTXN_d.webp

b5Fv8Jf_d.webp

OWa76lE_d.webp

AChBsh3_d.webp

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That's really interesting. Do you have a link to the form that needs to be sent in for that?

You could fill out the Army’s central FOIA web form, but it will take months for someone to route or to the right place. Instead, email usarmy.redstone.ldac.mbx.foia@mail.mil saying it’s a FOIA request for any and all records in the DoD small arms/light weapons registry citing the designation, NSN, and serial number. Say you’re willing to pay up to $20 to research that information, though I’ve never heard of them actually charging to do that.

The records weren’t digital until the 70s, so anything before either doesn’t survive or won’t show up in the search. Even past the creation of the computerized registry, it seems some units didn’t report their stuff to Anniston. Many guns have their first surviving records in the 90s.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You could fill out the Army’s central FOIA web form, but it will take months for someone to route or to the right place. Instead, email usarmy.redstone.ldac.mbx.foia@mail.mil saying it’s a FOIA request for any and all records in the DoD small arms/light weapons registry citing the designation, NSN, and serial number. Say you’re willing to pay up to $20 to research that information, though I’ve never heard of them actually charging to do that.

The records weren’t digital until the 70s, so anything before either doesn’t survive or won’t show up in the search. Even past the creation of the computerized registry, it seems some units didn’t report their stuff to Anniston. Many guns have their first surviving records in the 90s.
    Thanks for that info. I'm going to do that!

MDHokie

Jan 21, 2013
    Calverton, MD
    Also appreciate you posting how to best submit the FOIA, been meaning to do this on my 1911.

edit: did you get the shipping document from the FOIA request or elsewhere? The 'maglabs.com' text doesn't seem related based on the site. Thanks again.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What is the cmp charging for these 1911a1s such as yours?
    Luck of the draw by mail order price for the first two rounds is as the other post lists. Applications for round two closed last spring and another round has not been announced.

The 1911s are also available by auction. They typically go for $2-4k there depending on what exactly they are.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice example! Surprised at the very long service history and impressed with the provenance. Definitely worthwhile contacting the Army/DOD for a record search.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Nice example! Surprised at the very long service history and impressed with the provenance. Definitely worthwhile contacting the Army/DOD for a record search.
    Thanks. I actually found a guy on Facebook who was in that HQ unit of the MI NG in the 80s and 90s. He confirmed that they sat in the arms room all year except for annual training

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom