• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I collect 1911s i have a hard time beleiving any thing close to decent will be reasonable in price maybe a colt or remington rand frame but newer parts added and anything close to original will be auctioned.ive heard people say they handled a singer or union switch and signal while in airforce up into the 80s but i doubt we will see anything reasonable.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I collect 1911s i have a hard time beleiving any thing close to decent will be reasonable in price maybe a colt or remington rand frame but newer parts added and anything close to original will be auctioned.ive heard people say they handled a singer or union switch and signal while in airforce up into the 80s but i doubt we will see anything reasonable.

I agree, anything close to correct will go to auction, rest will be total mixmasters.
    I also doubt that CMP will ship a handgun to the communist states except maybe a 01 FFl, of course I've been wrong before.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They also won't be great bargains.

The old DCM existed to transfer low-cost surplus to shooters. The CMP's mandate is different: to raise money to fund Junior's programs. With that in mind, they have steadily increased their prices to just a little below retail, and for that, you get luck-of-the-draw. If they think they can get a high price for something special, they set the price pretty high.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Like most CMP guns you will be getting a mixed bag of military service pistols. I have personally handled 100s of 1911s. Most have been well worn and properly maintained. That does mean that wear parts have been replaced and they may have been refinished. None the less, every one I have seen was perfectly serviceable.

You will probably be hard pressed to find a collector's grade, but they will all be shooters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    FWIW, in March 2014 I was at the CMP store in Anniston and the counter guy said they had just received a few thousand carbines, but it would be a while before they could check them out. That was twenty months ago and there have been very few carbines put up for sale.

Unless the CMP doubles their refurb staff, it's going to be quite some time before 1911 shooters are going to be available (2017 to 2018 I'd say). Like other folks have said, the premium 1911s will probably go to auction. That is, the ones that can be stripped, inspected, tested and reassembled in less than a half hour and are worth keeping all original.

Being forever the optimist, I'm hoping I'm wrong and we see some decent 1911s by next Summer in CMP sales.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Unless the CMP doubles their refurb staff, it's going to be quite some time before 1911 shooters are going to be available (2017 to 2018 I'd say). Like other folks have said, the premium 1911s will probably go to auction. That is, the ones that can be stripped, inspected, tested and reassembled in less than a half hour and are worth keeping all original.

I don't think this is an accurate prediction. First, these 1911s are not like M1 Garands that have had the crap beaten out of them without being refurbished and then given to CMP. These 1911s have been serviced and stored. Second, from the text of the bill, it appears that the CMP has only one year to run a pilot program of up to 10,000 pistols.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I don't think this is an accurate prediction. First, these 1911s are not like M1 Garands that have had the crap beaten out of them without being refurbished and then given to CMP. These 1911s have been serviced and stored. Second, from the text of the bill, it appears that the CMP has only one year to run a pilot program of up to 10,000 pistols.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I'd love to pickup 1 or 2 (or maybe 12 max :innocent0) service grade 1911s before the pilot is over.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I hope you are right and I am wrong. I'd love to pickup 1 or 2 (or maybe 12 max :innocent0) service grade 1911s before the pilot is over.

Honestly, I'm a regulatory lawyer and have a hard time understanding what the text of the bill really says. The first part seems to say that the DOD can transfer 1911s going forward, but that no more than 10,000 can be transferred in any year, and then the second part seems to say that this is all really just a one-year pilot program for up to 10,000 pistols. YMMV. :shrug:

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Another thing, all the language is conditional, not mandatory. The Secretary "may" transfer, the term used both in reference to the primary program and the confusing pilot program. The Sec Army works directly for the President, and as Obama likes to say, he has a phone--no phony executive order required.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I got an email this morning from CMP. It said the amended version of the NDAA passed house and Senate and is on its way to zero's desk for signature.

Could this actually happen?

uploadfromtaptalk1447430332426.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom