• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    After more than a month of waiting, my pending order is in the CMP eStore and today they added the serial number. It is 3,378,xxx which is of WW2 vintage, manufactured December '44 or January '45. Shipping date is still TBD, but the end of the wait is finally near. I requested on my order form to get a FG with a decent stock and metal hardware, with no regard to the condition of the barrel, since I plan to put on a Criterion .308 barrel on it as soon as I get it. I can't wait to see what they chose for me.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    YAY!!!

Another fellow CMPer

Had I know I would have told you to just get a SG though.

Hope you ordered a lot of ammo from CMP no better deal out there for ammo. Well except when I have some extra ;)

Belay that : I see you said 308 not 30-06

God luck with your purchase though

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not sure if you have any Garands yet but let me know if there is anything I can help out with. Or if there are any parts you may be interested in swapping ;)

Steve

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I bet the barrel will guage fine (under 3 on both) They usually always under promise. IF you swap barrels you will be able to get a few bucks for it, if its decent.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    FG can be a toss up on barrel but I would bet the one you get will be fine. I have seen some pretty high numbers at the north store.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I don't have muzzle and throat gauges, but I'll gladly report what they tagged it as... I am interested in making a decent .308 shooter, so if there are any desirable parts that someone might need, I'll be up for a trade...:thumbsup:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I don't have muzzle and throat gauges, but I'll gladly report what they tagged it as... I am interested in making a decent .308 shooter, so if there are any desirable parts that someone might need, I'll be up for a trade...:thumbsup:

Ohhhhh, Id like the action and stock. :innocent0

Take a pic of a spitzer type bullet inside the muzzle...... not fully accurate but a means of testing.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    OK, she is in and here are just a couple of quick pics:
    op rod 6535382 SA
    bolt D2828T-12SA S-040
    trigger D28290-WRA
    barrel 5-A-3-62 (measured 3/3 on CMP tag)
    28ac37b9.jpg
    [/IMG]

deb220cd.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Yes I'm sure there are but you will pay twice as much for a lesser sample.

CMP is well worth it, and actually easier to buy from then you think.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Here are a couple more pics. I am going to trade this stock for a brand new CMP walnut stock with new metal hardware. I think it is an early WW2 WRA stock, and the person trading must think so too.

77978b3d.jpg
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    c72d5d0f.jpg
    [/IMG]
    48cc4dc3.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    So I traded away the stock on my Garand for a new CMP walnut stock. I took my rifle and new stock set to Tony Giacobbe, The Garand Guy, who lives about 35 minutes from me here in the lost state of New Jersey. For $300, he furnished and installed a new Criterion .308 barrel, swapped out my gas cylinder for one of his refurbed hard chrome lined ones, and swapped all of my non-correct parts for his parts that correctly match my Jan 1945 SA receiver. He also swapped out all the new stock hardware with hardware that matches the darker black finish that my receiver still retains. He repaired my bullet guide which did not allow the en bloc clips to latch in place easily, fitted my new stock which only required a little grinding on the rear hand guard since the contour of the Criterion barrel was slightly different from the original barrel, and repaired my loose rear sight aperture. All that I have left to do is sand and finish the new stock and I'll be good to go!
    A big +1 for the Garand Guy. My FG is looking more like somewhere in between a collector grade and a CMP Special. Yaaa hoooo!:thumbsup:
    :party29:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom