• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you are in a hurry order the Winchester CMP Special.

I ordered a service grade on 9/12 and got my DBU on 10/12, with the note it may take 6 months.

I ordered a Winchester CMP Special on 10/17 never got a DBU, but got the shipping notice 10/28 and it is due to be delivered 10/31. "2 Weeks!"

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    On an unrelated, but related note I would guess. Over on the CMP forum there is some discussion of what was said at the last Garand Collectors Association meeting. Word is that the Philippines might be sending back 86,000 rifles which the CMP would get. Still some hurdles to get over, but they are trying. Also, talk about why the limit went from 12 to 8 and that if 1911 sales start up it will be a limit of 1 per year. The commenter was citing Mark who I believe is Mark Johnson the CMP COO. Here is the link if you want to read the comments.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=197712&page=2

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    CMP has field grades for sale now. Looks like they started back up in the last week or so maybe via mail order. $630. I've had great luck in the past with field grades, but that isn't the experience of everyone.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    CMP has field grades for sale now. Looks like they started back up in the last week or so maybe via mail order. $630. I've had great luck in the past with field grades, but that isn't the experience of everyone.

thats what i'm talking about!!!! tempted to buy

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I really want one but Field Grade sounds like a real Russian roulette.

FIELD GRADE: (FAIR TO GOOD)

Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; may have pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    So they're basically functional but ugly? I'm completely fine with that if so. I think I like a little beater look to a stock on c&r rather than something that looks factory new.

Last edited:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I haven't had good luck with Field grades. They are almost all reparked with super light markings and the wood looks like it could have been used on a T53 mosin (chewed up). I don't think I own any more field grades anymore........

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Thanks! I've learned a lot reading the GCA magazine over the last year, but only enough to know what you're talking about. For the stock and rebuilds I know to look for markings, but what is the easiest way to tell if it's got original finish?

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    By finish I was referring to the parkerized finish. Reparked receivers may show evidence of pitting (often under the wood line), light markings, and other things that just don't look right. Some where reparked during arsenal rebuilds (Lead rebuilds that were reparked have a particular shade of silver grey if I remember right), but lately CMP has had some that are believed to have been reparked by them. Not sure if those are showing up in field or service grades. I am far from an expert though. Post up some pics when you get it and people who know better then I I'm sure will render an opinion on what you got I'm sure. I have several arsenal rebuilds including a Lead rebuild that was reparked at the arsenal and love them all. Not a big fan of the CMP reparked ones, but they can still be great shooters and are still a piece of history.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    order number 627790

And back to the signs of original finish, does bare metal breech mean anything? I have not seen it yet, just asking about how new arrivals get described.

I have also heard people talk about the action being "bone dry". When would this vs. lubed occur?

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    And back to the signs of original finish, does bare metal breech mean anything? I have not seen it yet, just asking about how new arrivals get described.

It does but I don't remember what. Sometimes it is referred to as in the white I believe.

I have also heard people talk about the action being "bone dry". When would this vs. lubed occur?

Stock and or action either could be dry. New CMP stocks always needed oiled. They often need fitted slightly as well. Older ones often need oil too (or a good cleaning which I do by oiling them). As far as the action, it could be dry because it was degreased by CMP or whomever returned it to CMP. Regardless, I always break my new to me Garands down and lubricate it per this link... http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

This is also another great link to check out... http://usriflecal30m1.com/Default.aspx

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Finally after 4 months of waiting, I have it. And what a feeling to hold this piece of history.

6 digit 838xxx Springfield Armory
    SA GAW stock in good shape
    SA 9-42 barrel M2+/T4 (there is a little dirt and oil, so can't really tell for sure, but the breech does not look in the white)
    -6 SA cut op rod
    several other parts late mfg

I am very happy, however, I can't get too attached. It will be a college graduation gift for my son.

Orlando

Finally after 4 months of waiting, I have it. And what a feeling to hold this piece of history.

6 digit 838xxx Springfield Armory
    SA GAW stock in good shape
    SA 9-42 barrel M2+/T4 (there is a little dirt and oil, so can't really tell for sure, but the breech does not look in the white)
    -6 SA cut op rod
    several other parts late mfg

I am very happy, however, I can't get too attached. It will be a college graduation gift for my son.

You really dont know how well you did on that rifle, Congrats
    It will be a great Graduation present

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom