• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm all but ready to click "buy" on this one. I was looking at one the other day at Ranger Surplus in Rockville, but they wanted $80 for the 4" tanto one. MidwayUSA carries them, and with my C&R discount it will be about $50 for the one I want... :innocent0

The knife felt good in my hand, opened easily, had good balance, and seems to be of really good quality steel. I then looked up the torture test video, produced by Cold Steel, and I'm almost convinced. Has anyone heard anything bad about these things? I just need a good carry knife for general purposes.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Cold Steel is known in the knife world for two things:

1) Really annoying marketing. They're the Extreme Shock Ammo of the knife industry. They do come up with some solid designs and you can always tune out the marketing but . . .

2) They use materials inferior to other makers at the same price point. Unless you're getting a custom piece or something really special in terms of design, paying $50 for a knife using AUS8 steel is not a good buy, much less the $80 some of the things go for.

There's also stuff like their serrations being non-standard and annoying to sharpen (though this may have changed in the last few years) and their proprietary steels (San Mai, Carbon V, etc.) not being disclosed to the public, leaving us to guess if we're getting anything suitable for both the price and the knife's intended use.

I'd look at other company's stuff. For $50, you can get something like a Spyderco Endura that has considerably better steel and better engineering.

I'd also stay away from a tanto point in a general purpose knife. Last I checked, no one had found a good use for the American Tanto style blade you find in modern knives unless the maker does something to make it better (ie, Microtech adds a slight curve to the blade to improve slicing compared to the straight edge on a normal American Tanto blade).

Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    I find cold steel to make mediocre(spelling?) knives and sharp things.

if you want a good carry knife I can sugest the SOG seal pup, its just small enough to fit in your pocket. I think I got mine for about $50.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    After watching that video, I think we need to skip the next shoot and have an MDShooters cut-stuff-fest. I can bring some old shoes and maybe a meat slab if someone else can bring some chicken wire and rubber tubing. :)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

1) Really annoying marketing. They're the Extreme Shock Ammo of the knife industry. They do come up with some solid designs and you can always tune out the marketing but . . .

2) They use materials inferior to other makers at the same price point. Unless you're getting a custom piece or something really special in terms of design, paying $50 for a knife using AUS8 steel is not a good buy, much less the $80 some of the things go for.

There's also stuff like their serrations being non-standard and annoying to sharpen (though this may have changed in the last few years) and their proprietary steels (San Mai, Carbon V, etc.) not being disclosed to the public, leaving us to guess if we're getting anything suitable for both the price and the knife's intended use.

I'd look at other company's stuff. For $50, you can get something like a Spyderco Endura that has considerably better steel and better engineering.

I'd also stay away from a tanto point in a general purpose knife. Last I checked, no one had found a good use for the American Tanto style blade you find in modern knives unless the maker does something to make it better (ie, Microtech adds a slight curve to the blade to improve slicing compared to the straight edge on a normal American Tanto blade).

I hate Spyderco. I don't know why, but I find them hard to open, and the designs unattractive. Also, the Cold Steel Voyager does have a curved tanto edge. I'll be paying $50 for an $80 knife, I think it might be worth it. Everyone told me to not get the Gerber Gator (which I got for $25) which I use at work, and I've been 100% happy with it.

I don't like CRKT, their stuff is mostly made in China and the fit and finish isn't great. I know Benchmade is great, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money. Besides, almost every knife I've ever owned has become lost at some point so spending more than $50 is a huge deal for me...

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I only have experience with the folding Cold Steel knives and some are OK, others feel cheap. If you're looking for a quality knife, don't look at Cold Steel. If you want a knock around knife, they should be fine.
    Better yet, have your cake and eat it too:

Look at the Benchmade Pika for a Benchmade under $40.00. They also have black finishes and Tanto/Combo edges available.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=10400
    pika.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I hate Spyderco. I don't know why, but I find them hard to open, and the designs unattractive.
    Agreed. I used a Spiderco (trainer) in an edged weapons class and had a very hard time opening it quickly or under stress in comparison to my Benchmade.
    Also, the Cold Steel Voyager does have a curved tanto edge. I'll be paying $50 for an $80 knife, I think it might be worth it.
    I've had several Cold Steel blades, and also have a kitchen set, and would agree with Simon Yu 100%, including the intense marketing BS aspect. They're cheap, period.

IMHO, you'd be paying $50 for a $30 knife, even though MSRP is $80, if that makes sense to you.
    . . . I know Benchmade is great, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money. Besides, almost every knife I've ever owned has become lost at some point so spending more than $50 is a huge deal for me...
    Benchmade does make a good knife, in several price ranges. I know what you mean about losing knives, and until I got **completely** out of the habit of ever laying one down, I lost a few myself.

One thing I have found is that a cheap BS knife gets treated like a cheap BS knife. If you lay it down, it gets lost, if it rattles around the console or glove box, it gets lost. . . . A good and valuable knife tends to get treated more carefully.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I have a Stockman folder I got from Cold Steel years ago (on sale) that I sometimes carry. It's a fine knife with good blades and a decent feel/heft. But much of their stuff I have felt over the years to be over priced.

On the other hand, I've found consistent high quality in the offerings from A.G. Russell (www.agrussell.com) and sometimes reasonable prices, sometimes a pretty good deal. Russell carries/offers Benchmade, Spyderco, CKRT, K-Bar, Dozier, Al Mar and a bunch of other good lines. They do carry a bunch of gold plated hoity-toity stuff ("zirconium encrusted tweezers"...) that I usually skip past (or look at wondering who would ever buy one) but they have a number of solid utility knives. I've bought them for myself and given them as gifts/trades and never had a complaint. Might be worth taking a look.

End of commercial.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Could be that the "years ago" is the operative term here. . . everything I have used from Cold Steel is of relatively recent manufacture.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    +1 for Spyderco. I've used my Stainless Police serrated for 22 years! I worked in OC back in the 80's as a mate on charter boats and managed a marina during the summers, so this knife has definitely been in harsh environments. This knife has cut everything-including a firehose with the braided metal lining. I've had it sharpened exactly twice in all of that time. As the only folding knife I've owned in the last 22 years, I have zero problems opening the knife one-handed with either hand. I don't really remember any problems or having to "learn" to open the blade in a certain way. The only thing I might change on it would be to make the grip "textured" or something, as smooth stainless sides can make it harder to hold on to when wet-especially when you are fighting to pull a Tuna or shark into the boat with the other hand........but at least with the sharks, I learned to have a .45acp in my "other" hand as opposed to the knife ;)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Isn't there some sort of legal blade limit to folding knives in Maryland?

There was a HUGE thread about this a while back, but as far as I can remember there's no limit on length as long as it's not classified as a "dangerous weapon" IIRC. I might be wrong though.

Damn, it's a shame I didn't see that Benchmade Pika before. However, it has the same sort of hole that the Spyderco knives do. I've been using thumb studs for years and that's what I'm used to. At any rate, I got a Cold Steel Voyager 4" Tanto half-serrated for $40 shipped of eBay. I've seen these things going for as much as $90 so I'm happy with the price point. If I don't like it I'm sure I could find someone that would buy it off me for what I paid.

I used to use a Kershaw leek, but I lost it a while ago. I really liked that one, but it was a little small. Held its edge pretty well and was really thin. The assisted opening was cool too.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I guess what I learned, is to not expect much out of the Voyager. If it holds up for a while, I will be pleasantly surprised! One of the main reasons I got it, was I liked how it handled at the shop. It just felt good in my hand, and you all know that counts for a lot with weapons!

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Isn't there some sort of legal blade limit to folding knives in Maryland?

No, there isn't.

I have a Benchmade auto knife and some others, but I think the best knife to have is the one you have with you, meaning if its big and bulky and otherwise not fun to carry, you wont, and it will be relegated to a drawer.

I've found the one that finds its way into my pocked when I go to work is the Spyderco Endura serrated. Its very sharp, stays that way, slim and otherwise just does what it is supposed to do.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Quick and dirty perusal of New Graham Knives's site shows a few thumbstud Benchmades in your price range:

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4047
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44387
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=3931
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44959
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4036

Also some offerings from Kershaw and other companies, but I'm kinda tired after the shoot.

Whatever you get, considering having a small (or large) lanyard on the thing made from highly visible paracord (I use neon orange for anything I might use outside) to make it a bit harder to lose. Black handles sometimes blend in with the ground when they fall there.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Quick and dirty perusal of New Graham Knives's site shows a few thumbstud Benchmades in your price range:

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4047
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44387
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=3931
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44959
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4036

Also some offerings from Kershaw and other companies, but I'm kinda tired after the shoot.

Whatever you get, considering having a small (or large) lanyard on the thing made from highly visible paracord (I use neon orange for anything I might use outside) to make it a bit harder to lose. Black handles sometimes blend in with the ground when they fall there.

Just when I decided I need to stop money on guns you guys are getting me back into knives again... in High School I had a friend that had an inheritance and bought literally hundreds of knives. We'd go to Chesapeake Knife & Tool or any other knife store and he'd blow sometimes over $400 on knives at one time. Eventually he started selling them on the cheap or giving them away because he had WAY too many. He also accidentally cut him self ALL the time, sometimes in the store lol... :rofl:

Anyway, that site has some great prices. I always liked Benchmades, but all the ones I had seen before were the really expensive ones. I'll have to maybe get one next paycheck, since I already ordered a Voyager... That Tanto VEX looks awesome!

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    My favorite place to buy knives. Its an internet store but you can walk in and buy direct. The prices are very good too.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/
    KnifeCenter of the InterNet
    P.O. Box 600
    5111 Berwyn Rd STE 110
    College Park, MD 20740 USA

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    My favorite place to buy knives. Its an internet store but you can walk in and buy direct. The prices are very good too.

I thought I heard they were trying to discourage people from doing that. If you can still do that, I may start shopping from there again. Some of my earliest purchases were from KnifeCenter before I found a few other places that I didn't have to pay state sales tax at.

I've managed to curtail my collecting habits by mostly limiting myself to custom pieces. Far fewer things in my price range to tempt me :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom