• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I have an SP1 carbine lower that is for sale. A potential buyer asked if it had a sear block, which it does not. Does this affect the value at all? Is this something that I should be concerned about him asking for legal issues? I had never considered a sear block as a selling point before.

Thanks

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Unless it's been removed, the lack of a sear block typically ADDS desirability and value.

It's stated intention was to exclude conversion to full auto. It prevents the use of an M16 sear (which required precision drilling a new hole anyway), or the use of RDIAS (Registered Drop In Auto Sear), which was legal with correct paperwork prior to 1986. This was accomplished by a chunk of metal blind pinned in behind the trigger/sear assembly - a "Sear Block".

The two BIG problems with Colt playing Mommie like this are that:

1) This awkward and unnecessary piece of steel projected above the top of the receiver, and mandated the use of a Colt bolt carrier. This was Colt's was of keeping someone from dropping a mil spec M16 upper on the receiver, since the F/A bolt carrier would hit the block and the rifle could not be assembled thus. Cynics also pointed out that it required the purchase of a Colt carrier, which sold at a grossly inflated price when compared to other AR15 manufacturers. Damn cynics.

2) The sear block occupies all available space behind the standard GI style fire control group, and many, if not most, good target-style triggers cannot be installed either.

I would imagine that your Colt lower, lacking a sear block, uses a large screw as a front pivot pin, in lieu of the .250 mil spec pin, as a method of preventing use of a mil spec upper, which everyone uses except Colt anyway. This pin problem can be overcome by use of an offset pin available from any of several manufacturers.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    It is actually a full rifle, but obviously the question pertains to the lower. I was aware of what the lack of a sear block enables, but was unsure of how it may affect the value of the rifle. It would seem to me that the lack of it would make an already somewhat rare rifle even more rare. Which is good, lol.

My real concern was that if the guy is asking me about it, does that place some responsibility on me to ensure that he has no illegal intentions with the rifle if he purchases it? Asking me about it raised my suspicion that maybe he planned to convert it. I dont want to sell to him if he may possibly illegally convert it.

Thanks for the reply.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I wouldn't let it worry me for a second.

I don't like them and am happy to get one less stupid "feature" like that that impedes flexibility and interchangeability. Colt uses the odd pivot pin, odd fire control pins, and/or the sear block in many of their rifles, and none serve any useful or legitimate purpose.

He may have a legal registered DIAS.
    He may have a collection of uppers he'd hope to use with it.
    He may have one of the triggers that won't work with the sear block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom