• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Nuts! Was semi-seriously eye-ballin' a Walther Made Colt M4 in .22lr. Thought it may be fun. But the thread pitch on it is not 1/2x28?! Nuts! I guess I could run an adapter, but it's not nearly as fun if it turns convoluted suppressing it. I prefer standardized pitches. Keeps life simpler. They did the same weird pitch thing in the Colt licensed 1911 .22's. Just ranting.
    I'm still undecided. May run a shorty upper on my SBR. May just be happy with my 10/22.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The 15-22 is much more of an AR than the Colt M4 or its clone the HK also made by Walther. You can put real AR parts in the 15-22 but not any of the Walther built guns. They are pretty much fake ARs although as a .22 rifle they perform OK generally. 15-22 is likely the most reliable .22 semi ever built (and that includes the 10/22, Marlin 60, Remington 597 and most others I have owned or shot over the years).

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Photo, thanks for the input. Maybe I need to evaluate one more closely. I'm still up in the air on my next project. But a .22 AR just seems fun.

Any of the tacticool 22s are a blast Jim. Overpriced and not extremely accurate, but they're not meant to be. I think my next one will be a Sig.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The Sig 522 is decently accurate but nowhere near a precision rimfire. 15-22 is at best a 2-3 MOA rilfe but that is fine for speed shooting, plinking, and the occasional varmint eradication. A dedicated .22 AR can be pretty accurate if you choose the right parts to build it from.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Sweet Rig! I just started a 9mm project instead... debating offloading a safe queen to finance an AR in .22 and/or the 9mm. I like guns to shoot, not see in the safe!

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have a walther made colt and it is indeed a blast to shoot, but cleaning this thing is a SOB. Ive never seen such a rifle so tough to clean RIGHT. Its been a pretty decent rifle to made and fairly accurate as mentioned.

Im actually looking at an M&P 15-22 due to the cleaning factor. Mags are very expensive as well, IF you can find them and have some one out of state to buy them for you and then go pick them up out of state as well.

Ive never seen mags for it at any of the gun shops just over the PA border myself.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I built a custom AR 22 even though I already have 2 15-22s. If you want it to look like an M16, and be accurate get your barrel and BCG parts from Taccom. I found some of the shooters on AR15.com recommended their barrels for accuracy. I used a lot of their parts including the reliability upgrade parts for my CMMG .22 conversion kit once I decided to go for a full blown AR 22.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Theere are 3 semi auto .22 rifles that are good buys. 10/22, 15-22, and SIG 522. The 15-22 is the best 22 out IMO.

Umarex and GSG .22s are magnesium junk.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I have over 7,000 rounds through my HK416-22 with no wear, and no broken parts. HK service is very good when I bought extras screws and nuts a few years ago, which I do anyway with all firearms. Do know what the big deal is about the cast aluminum alloys used, which are tougher (not harder) than most 2000 or 6000 series aluminums used in this application.
    Rifle is tough as nails, easy to clean, not finiky, and very accurate for what it does from day one. Sorry to say two SW plastic rifles cracked last winter at the range. Those guys are pissed!
    Take a metallurgy class and you'll know. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom