• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    hairba111 said:
    I wiped it clean on the front of my shirt before I handed it to Zane to put in the safe............no boogers, just kiddin'. I'm sure they'll let you handle it if you drop by.

You had me scared there for second.

Tim might of had to refund your money. :D

I'm going to research the firearm through the Army and see if I can contact the previous owner for some history. I was told the owner got it from his grandfather who brought it home from the the war, which war, who knows? Tim said he would ask about it.

gotguns

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    For you 1911 aficionados, this 1918 Colt isn't the rarest of the earlier Army model BUT it's unbelievably well preserved. All original, barrel is still covered in blueing, grips are unworn (except for small initials "FNH") and shows minimum holster wear. I doubt if it has fired more than a hundred rounds.

O, one more thing,

IT'S MINE BITCHES!!!

OK....guess customer confidentiality is out of the bag :lol2:

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    But, I thought the only handgun worth owning was a Glock. I'm confused...

Congrats on your purchase, I would love to add a Colt U.S. Property to my collection!

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    For you 1911 aficionados, this 1918 Colt isn't the rarest of the earlier Army model BUT it's unbelievably well preserved. All original, barrel is still covered in blueing, grips are unworn (except for small initials "FNH") and shows minimum holster wear. I doubt if it has fired more than a hundred rounds.

O, one more thing,

IT'S MINE BITCHES!!!

Congratulations! Very nice purchase. :thumbsup:

And you're lucky I didn't see this thread until today or she would have very likely been added to my collection.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

Is it a 1918 Black Army? SN after 312000? Original Blackie not arsenal rebuilt and finished are rarer and worth than most people realize.

Is it a 1918 Black Army? SN after 312000? Original Blackie not arsenal rebuilt and finished are rarer and worth than most people realize.

Yes it is, serial number 363XXX. The slide is blued, the frame is black. I found this one on Google search http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/12/colt-black-army-m1911-at-auction.html

You guys that don't frequent Hafer's Gunsmithing are missing deals like this. I've seen other gems hiding in plain sight there many times.

Last edited:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I would be so conflicted with what to do with a piece like this. On one hand, it was built to shoot, so it should be shot and enjoyed. On the other hand, it is a beautiful piece of history that should be preserved and maintained with the utmost care. Both arguments seem valid to me but also might be mutually exclusive.

If I was a reloader, I might work up some very low powered loads to spit out of the barrel when I took it to the range. Would replacing the recoil spring and/or other parts like the barrel and slide stop be appropriate when shooting it? I know some parts on 1911s aren't "plug and play" necessarily, but it seems like the barrel and spring would be viable temporary replacements. Perhaps the slide stop might need some minor fitting? :shrug:

Curious to hear what others think about this. Again, congrats on this purchase. :thumbsup:

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Yes it is, serial number 363XXX. The slide is blued, the frame is black. I found this one on Google search http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/12/colt-black-army-m1911-at-auction.html

You guys that don't frequent Hafer's Gunsmithing are missing deals like this. I've seen other gems hiding in plain sight there many times.

Is the slide original to the frame? I'm asking because a Black Army 1911 should have the dark "black" finish on both.In other words the finish should be uniform on both. I'm pretty sure the small parts were blued but the slide and frame should be the "black" finish.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I would be so conflicted with what to do with a piece like this. On one hand, it was built to shoot, so it should be shot and enjoyed. On the other hand, it is a beautiful piece of history that should be preserved and maintained with the utmost care. Both arguments seem valid to me but also might be mutually exclusive.

Curious to hear what others think about this. Again, congrats on this purchase. :thumbsup:

I would take her out to shoot every now and then. :thumbsup:

I would take her out to shoot every now and then. :thumbsup:

I have another 1927 model in much worse condition but I still shoot it occasionally. I shoot minimum load reloads with a modern return spring. I do intend to shoot this one the same way. JMB intended his brainchild to be used, not put on a pedestal and just looked at. I never thought I would ever find one this nice but it won't be a museum piece as long as I'm still breathing.

Is the slide original to the frame? I'm asking because a Black Army 1911 should have the dark "black" finish on both.In other words the finish should be uniform on both. I'm pretty sure the small parts were blued but the slide and frame should be the "black" finish.

Black Army models are often mistakenly seen as mismatched because of the uneven finish. This slide is original. Read the link I posted earlier.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

I can attest to this fact. I've gotten a few real bargains from them, although I've never had the cash for something this awesome.

Great find. Treat 'er right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom