• P239-Rainbow-detail-hero.jpg
      P239-Rainbow-detail-hero.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 1,202

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Compact - Glock 19 Gen 4.
    Subcompact - Ruger LC9

I recommend to give a few a test drive - Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly VA, and On Target in Laurel MD are good spots to rent guns. It is best that she finds a model that is most comfortable for her...and that is hard to determine without actually firing through a few magazines :)

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I have a 19. Interesting that it would be considered a compact. Go figure. If this is the case, subcompact. I was looking at a Baretta Nano but it sold.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    Ruger sr9c or glock 26. They are both pretty similar. The ruger has an additional slide safety and adjustable sights

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    CZ-82 in 9x18mm

Heavy enough to soak-up recoil. Compact. Good penetration and power somewhere between a .380 and 9mm.

Women tend to love them.

Beemerguy

Oct 6, 2012
    I have one of the original Kahr K9 pistols, bought around 1995...very nice! It's reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, with a great trigger.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    I have a 19. Interesting that it would be considered a compact. Go figure. If this is the case, subcompact. I was looking at a Baretta Nano but it sold.

Yeah, I was not sure how big a gun you were talking. Glock's marketing dept has the 19 in their "compact" category, but it is not all that small...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    How big are her hands?

Double action pistols like the SIG and Beretta can be a poor choice for people with small hands or short fingers, because they have to twist the gun out of line with their forearm to reach the trigger.

Kahrs are supposed to be good for small hands. The M&Ps aren't bad, Glocks are a bit fat. She really has to try them for herself. A single stack like the S&W Shield is probably good for small hands.

But why a Compact? And how compact? A Glock 19 is compact, a Glock 26 is subcompact. I have both a full size M&P and the M&P Compact. The full size is a little easier to shoot because of the longer barrel and longer grip, but the ergonomics are the same otherwise. Unless it's for carry, "compact" might be more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

Let her actually handle (and shoot if possible) different guns. Check carefully to see if she's twisting the gun in her grip in order to reach the trigger. She may not be able to avoid it if her hands are small. In that case she may just have to suck it up and try to train harder to overcome a poor fit.

Faded Blue

Feb 23, 2013
    Chevy Chase
    Recommendations?

The best advice may be to take her to a range where she can try out different guns for herself and let her decide. I tried the "I know better what you need" route at first with my wife and wound up spending a bunch of money on guns she didn't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom