• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I am thinking about getting one last handgun before Oct. 1st. I have 3 full sized 9mm and I am thinking about a pocket 9mm. I am looking at the Beretta Storm compact, Nano or Taurus 709. I already have a 24/7 and really like it. I would love to get a Beretta stamped "made in Accokeek" before they move because I live right up the road from the factory. I am not sure if it is worth the extra cost. I am a guy with a full sized hand, wife might shoot if I could ever get her to the range. Thanks.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Buy whatever you like, for whatever reason. If you're soliciting opinions, sub-compacts suck. Their only value is concealabilty when carrying. That comes at the expense of reduced accuracy, lower mag capacity, poor hand fit for many shooters, lower velocity and more felt recoil.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    How much have you shot pocket pistols? I only have limited experience with the ones you've listed, but there's a big difference between compact, subcompact, and "pocket" in terms of both shootability and concealment.

If you have bigger hands I'd stop at the Storm compact and not go any smaller. I really like the concealability of the Nano, but I'd highly recommend getting some trigger time behind any pocket pistol before deciding on one. In a state where it's nearly impossible to get a CC license, you are better off getting a firearm that you enjoy shooting.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If I were in the market for one, LC9 would be my choice. Your wife will probably hate it due to the recoil.

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I have never shot a compact or sub. I guess I am holding out hope that someday MD will allow concealed carry. I know keep dreaming.

About the built in Accokeek thing, I looked at a 92FS this weekend and liked it but it was not stamped in Accokeek. I think the Storm is made and stamped there because I used to have the CX4 (I know, I should have kept it). I know it is a silly thing but I grew up with the factory down the road and would like to pass down to sons. Is there a list of the guns stamped Accokeek?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Keep in mind that a pocket sized 9mm is a specialized tool. Even more of a compromise for someone with big hands. And it is kind of an all or nothing criteria to fit into a pants pocket. If not truely pocketable , it just become a belt gun that's hard to shoot well.

But if you actually are looking for one KelTec or Kahr for more than twice the $ .

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    H&K USP 9 Compact is a very nice gun. Every time I shoot mine I feel like I'm pointing my finger at the target. Glock 19's are nice as well.

Wait, I just read your post again. Neither of my suggestions are Pocket, they are Compact per the thread title.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have never shot a compact or sub. I guess I am holding out hope that someday MD will allow concealed carry. I know keep dreaming.

About the built in Accokeek thing, I looked at a 92FS this weekend and liked it but it was not stamped in Accokeek. I think the Storm is made and stamped there because I used to have the CX4 (I know, I should have kept it). I know it is a silly thing but I grew up with the factory down the road and would like to pass down to sons. Is there a list of the guns stamped Accokeek?

The M9 (same gun) is made in MD

Jeb Uberstead

Apr 19, 2013
    Carroll Co
    Glock 27 with finger extension. .40 caliber and great concealment. Yeah, yeah, no external safety, but if you are not foolish and keep it in a holster you will be fine. What's the point if you pull it out and it's on safe anyway. Bottom line the Glock is the AK of pistols.

HTArms

May 9, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    The Beretta Cx4 Storm Compact is a bit larger than I expected but feels good in my beefy hands. Have you considered the Springfield XDS-45?

Feb 28, 2013
    :rolleyes:
    Buy whatever you like, for whatever reason. If you're soliciting opinions, sub-compacts suck. Their only value is concealabilty when carrying. That comes at the expense of reduced accuracy, lower mag capacity, poor hand fit for many shooters, lower velocity and more felt recoil.
    I don't intend to go smaller than a Glock 30. I'd carry my 1911 pistol cocked-and-locked, but that may be a tad big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom