• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Anybody built a 1022 lately for competing in NRL22 or MARS. I’d like to get my feet wet in shooting competitively and I think some of the rimfire matches may be my best route.

I’m guessing building or buying a bolt gun would be the right way to do it but since I already have a 1022 sitting in a houge stock with a match grade bull barrel that shoots pretty well I would rather not drop a whole lot of coin only to find out I really suck at shooting. I have the space in my back yard to set up a practice range but I at least want my rifle to be somewhat up to snuff. I understand ammo will be a big part of it too but I’ll cross that bridge when I get the rifle right.

My rifle has a stock trigger in the older metal trigger housing so I’m hoping to just do all the trigger parts instead of a whole new drop in housing.
    I plan on running a Burris xtr 2 5-25x50 scavenged from my AR 308 until I can afford some decent glass that will be dedicated to the rimfire rifle.
    I’m going to drop the houge stock for a victors titan and run the barrel I have for now.
    Anything else That would improve the rifle for competition?
    Thank you.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I was just shooting my 10/22 with Kidd barrel, trigger, other parts on Friday at 200 and 300 yards. I realize I would need a bubble level and I’d like a 30 moa mount of some sort. My 50 yard zero required 13 feet of compensation at 300 with the wind and such that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I would imagine you'll get LOTS of good advice here.

FYI - I have just finished my first season of MARS competing in the Semi division. I utilized an already-built somewhat budget 10/22 and decided at the start of the season not to invest very many $$$ this season. From my perspective you already have a good-to-go rifle and scope. A match grade bull barrel should serve you quite well, and your scope should be more than adequate (I run a $349 on-sale discontinued FFP Athlon Helos, and have no plans to upgrade). I don't think you need a fancy/tacticool stock - again - I run a laminate blem that was on sale several years ago for $39, and have no plans to upgrade, but if that's what you want . . . go for it. I would seriously consider an improved trigger, like the two stage KIDD$$$, but this is not necessary. EDIT: Just read the above post - YES! a 20+ MOA base will likely be needed (I run a 20 MOA base with a .025" shim under the rear screws), depending on the amount of elevation on your scope, and a bubble level as well.

If you haven't already, I would recommend a focus on 3) getting several magazines, including double mags (2 ten rounds attached) and ensuring reliable feeding, 4) a good detachable bipod that will permit angling the rifle upwards a fair bit, perhaps with adjustment for this (some targets engaged from the prone position at some ranges can require a higher bipod to properly engage the targets), 5) bags! - you'll need a set of bags for the varying types of stages. I think there's already a thread here on that, or you could go to a few matches, see what others are using, borrow some stuff and then decide what you like. If you're competing in MARS, virtually everyone/anyone will lend you equipment.

The above paragraph lists #3,#4 and #5 prioritization as #1 and #2 below are probably much more important. #1 is Ammo - figure out what gives you the best precision for the $$$ you are willing to pay. For the most part, this means at least higher end, if not super pricey, ammo. SK Match, Eley Match etc. Be aware that different lots of the same brand and type may shoot quite differently, so when you get a good lot, buy a seasons worth. #2 is Dope! - you'll need to know your ammo/rifles ballistics from 15 to 300+ yards. Many shooters are using the Streylok app, but range work is required.

I think my entire rifle cost less than $500 to build, and the scope was $349. For next season I'll be focusing on upgrading #1 and #2, with little or no spending on rifle, scope or ancillary equipment. I was talking to a shooter at the MARS finale who had invested $8000 in his rifle and $4000 on the scope (if I remember correctly). Super nice stuff (ok - SUPER NICE RIFLE), but not necessary, especially to start.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Afterthought . . . (again, if you haven't already): Ensure solid, repeatable bedding of your 10/22 receiver (epoxy/pillar or v-block) in the stock, with the barrel free floated.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Thank you for your advice.

I ordered a Krg bravo chassis, Volquartsen trigger and a few other odds and ends to get started.

Next will be to weld up some targets to get practicing and find out what ammo works.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you want to try a bolt gun next season, I have a spare rifle (tikka T1X) you can try.

The rifle and glass you have is more than adequate. I would spend money on ammo and practice. Dry firing off of a ladder (all of the rungs) and things like a chair or home depot bucket is also invaluable. Practicing how quickly you can start standing, drop to prone, get on target, and get a shot off is also a good idea.

The ammo listed above is a good start, but I would also look at the eley semi auto benchrest precision. Its worth it to buy a few bricks.

You can also do a practice session by Dave of MARS which is a great introduction and will go over your DOPE, basic position building, and what to expect at a match. I would highly recommend the training if you have never done positional shooting. https://modernamericanrimfireseries.com/coaching/

DO NOT BUY BAGS! Trust me that its a deep rabbit hole and you really need to shoot several matches before you even have a clue for what you want. We all borrow bags from each other during matches. The only bag you should have is something for the rear of the rifle as a prone bag so you can get comfortable with it and practice. If you dont have one PM me and Ill give you a caldwell one I have laying around.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    If you want to try a bolt gun next season, I have a spare rifle (tikka T1X) you can try.

The rifle and glass you have is more than adequate. I would spend money on ammo and practice. Dry firing off of a ladder (all of the rungs) and things like a chair or home depot bucket is also invaluable. Practicing how quickly you can start standing, drop to prone, get on target, and get a shot off is also a good idea.

The ammo listed above is a good start, but I would also look at the eley semi auto benchrest precision. Its worth it to buy a few bricks.

You can also do a practice session by Dave of MARS which is a great introduction and will go over your DOPE, basic position building, and what to expect at a match. I would highly recommend the training if you have never done positional shooting. https://modernamericanrimfireseries.com/coaching/

DO NOT BUY BAGS! Trust me that its a deep rabbit hole and you really need to shoot several matches before you even have a clue for what you want. We all borrow bags from each other during matches. The only bag you should have is something for the rear of the rifle as a prone bag so you can get comfortable with it and practice. If you dont have one PM me and Ill give you a caldwell one I have laying around.

Thank you for that offer. I really appreciate it.

Fortunately I can practice in my back yard so once I get the ammo figured out and the rifle shooting reliably I can get to work on shooting positions. I’m excited to get to work on it.
    I’ve had some really generous fellas reach out with help such as yourself and I’m blown away by the support to get into competition shooting.
    I do have a Caldwell bag but that’s something I hadn’t even yet considered. I have a lot to learn but I’m all ears.
    Thanks again

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but Swaim13, have you tried the Eley SemiAuto Benchrest ammo? It is one of the Eley's I am considering ordering a few lots of for testing. (Round nosed and not too expensive.) While I've had two lots of Eley Match that fed reliably, the third batch of this flat-nose ammo would not feed properly in my 10/22, causing jams and damaged bullets, so I'm looking for a high precision round-nosed ammo for next season.

firemn260: Don't forget to practice the dreaded (at least for me) weak side shooting.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Someone should start up MARS over at AGC. It looks like a lot of fun.

I don't do the precision rimfire thing, but even for an action shooter like me who sometimes fires tight groups for zeroes, the difference in ammo quality re:accuracy is astounding.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Thank you for that offer. I really appreciate it.

Fortunately I can practice in my back yard so once I get the ammo figured out and the rifle shooting reliably I can get to work on shooting positions. I’m excited to get to work on it.
    I’ve had some really generous fellas reach out with help such as yourself and I’m blown away by the support to get into competition shooting.
    I do have a Caldwell bag but that’s something I hadn’t even yet considered. I have a lot to learn but I’m all ears.
    Thanks again

The only thing I will add is as the weather gets colder, you will notice that ammo that used to be great will go all wonky. This happens around 40 degrees I think. If I am correct its partially how the wax and the primers are effected by the cold.

Its awesome that you can shoot in your backyard! I would recommend looking at the NRL22 courses of fire to get a rough idea of some basic positions. The other item I forgot to mention earlier is to practice shooting from standing, kneeling and seated positions. They do pop up (especially at the MARS match at BCFG)

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but Swaim13, have you tried the Eley SemiAuto Benchrest ammo? It is one of the Eley's I am considering ordering a few lots of for testing. (Round nosed and not too expensive.) While I've had two lots of Eley Match that fed reliably, the third batch of this flat-nose ammo would not feed properly in my 10/22, causing jams and damaged bullets, so I'm looking for a high precision round-nosed ammo for next season.

firemn260: Don't forget to practice the dreaded (at least for me) weak side shooting.

I actually have some Eley SemiAuto Benchrest that I use in my Tikka T1X. It was really accurate on targets out to 330 but it was a little more lot sensitive than something like center-x. I still have a few lots that I keep for my Tikka but am running low.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Accurizing 10/22s is different than most, have run my 10/22 in egg shoots, precision steel(50-200yd) and a couple other things, MARS looks cool, but most of my attention has been 3 gun the last few years. Most decent match barrels with good ammo can put up sub moa groups. The main thing is that the receivers are flimsy compared to centerfire, but the barrel is pretty stout. Bed the chamber/clamp block area of the barrel in the stock, free float the receiver, can also free float the muzzle with some stocks, This will reduce some group shift if you bed the entire receiver and float the barrel like you would in a centerfire. If the barrel is lapped, then great, if not, you can slick it up a bit with a bore mop and JP bore paste. THe smoother the finish, the more consistent it will stay, and the less lead/lube will build up. A good trigger is obvious, bedding the scope mount base can help stiffen the receiver, and cut down on shift if you put pressure on the stock. An upgraded firing pin can help get better ignition, or at least stoning/polishing it to remove rough edges from the stamping process. The main difference between cheap and good 22 ammo is how uniform the priming compound is in the rim, a chrony and checking spent brass/primer dents can be really useful in checking ammo consistency or diagnosing ignition issues. Develop a hold over/wind chart for your rifle, christmas tree or BDC reticles can be nice for this, shoot a group, and find your holdovers every 25 yards out to max distance, wind, temps, the more conditions you can practice in, and the better you understand holdovers and windage, the better you will do in a match.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "Bed the chamber/clamp block area of the barrel in the stock, free float the receiver"

What exactly is this? I've don't think I've seen a free floated receiver on a 10/22. Is this a 10/22 benchrest technique?
    Google gives me nothing on this . . .

Thwack22

Aug 8, 2012
    NoVa
    I would shoot MARS matches at AGC if they held them, and the 200 yd range would be ideal for the format. Has AGC hosted any NRL22 matches?

Last edited:

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I would shoot MARS matches at AGC if they held them, and the 200 yd range would be ideal for the format. Has AGC hosted any NRL22 matches?

The AGC 200 yard range is likely a little small for that many people and stages. It would also require the range to allow the use and storage of props and to shoot at shorter distances. If you want to get AGC as a club, you can message MARS if you get permission from AGC. If not, there are a bunch of ranges in the area that are hosting matches

If you are in NOVA, look at the MARS matches at Quantico. In the MD area, there is Mayberry, Baltimore County, and Thurmont. There are also several just into PA.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The AGC 200 yard range is likely a little small for that many people and stages. It would also require the range to allow the use and storage of props and to shoot at shorter distances. If you want to get AGC as a club, you can message MARS if you get permission from AGC. If not, there are a bunch of ranges in the area that are hosting matches
    Props and going closer in aren't a big problem on the 200yd range, but I agree that it's probably not setup for a multiple stage match. Unfortunately, the action bays aren't much more than 75yds long at most.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have an old 10/22 carbine that has morphed into a $2000 tack driver. I did a few MARS matches 2 or 3 years ago before they split the semi and bolt groups. My 10/22 was just as accurate as my CZ but much faster on the follow ups. A 30MOA rail is a must and a scope with enough come up to reach 300yds. I think my 300yd dope was 25.5moa. I have a boyds stock that I like, the chassis are heavier which can be advantageous. I got a whistle pig barrel that is very accurate, everything else except the original receiver is Kidd. The 2 stage Kidd trigger is very nice.

I practice at Delmarva sporting clays since they have 300yd targets.

Thwack22

Aug 8, 2012
    NoVa
    Good points regarding the 200 yd range - too narrow for more than a couple of squads, but if you shot the closer stages in the action bays it might be doable. Also plenty of clubs in the area offer Non-NRL22 matches. As of November 1st MARS is now the Modern American Rimfire Series and has expanded to a nationwide series with a regional format - about 50 clubs have signed up or shown interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom