• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmartin3191

Oct 29, 2023
    Harford County
    Good afternoon. New to the forum and love it. I live in Harford County and very interested in pistol competitions to improve my skills and learn from shooters will experience. Any recommendations in Harford County or surrounding counties? Thank you.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Good afternoon. New to the forum and love it. I live in Harford County and very interested in pistol competitions to improve my skills and learn from shooters will experience. Any recommendations in Harford County or surrounding counties? Thank you.
    Delta Peach Bottom fish and game has a steel plate match each month. Check thier calendar at DPFNG.com

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Delta Peach Bottom fish and game has a steel plate match each month. Check thier calendar at DPFNG.com
    This. I haven't been there but it is run by two of our upstanding members and is very popular. I usually shoot a LONG way in the other direction.

Don't neglect the opportunities offered by some of the more southern PA sportsman's clubs. There are also matches to be found on the eastern shore and in Delaware

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

Art3, one of our esteemed members, leads this charge. Check out this thread linked above. You will see why the shoots are popular. He also posts the registration links for the shoots to the thread when they go live.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Welcome from Havre de grace.

Check out southern lancaster county farmers sportsmens association too. They have lots of events as well.

And as always consider joining MSI.

X

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.

Art3, one of our esteemed members, leads this charge. Check out this thread linked above. You will see why the shoots are popular. He also posts the registration links for the shoots to the thread when they go live.
    Art3 does a great job with these matches. Check them out!

TD

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Thank you for the kind words...and for sharing the link. :mdpatriot

My intent is to always keep this match (for as long as I'm involved in running it, at least) welcoming to new (or new to competition) shooters. When the weather permits, we get a little intense with movement and even shooting on the move, and sometimes I like to get a little sneaky and "hide" targets when fast shooters might pass by them. However, I do my best to never create safety traps that can easily get a novice disqualified...or worse. Even on the more intense stages, you can always just go slow. And we all know that slow is smooth...and smooth is fast ;)

There are a lot of videos smattered through that thread showing what we do with the little space we have. I think the most important is in the very first post, about bringing the right gear.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thank you for the kind words...and for sharing the link. :mdpatriot

My intent is to always keep this match (for as long as I'm involved in running it, at least) welcoming to new (or new to competition) shooters. When the weather permits, we get a little intense with movement and even shooting on the move, and sometimes I like to get a little sneaky and "hide" targets when fast shooters might pass by them. However, I do my best to never create safety traps that can easily get a novice disqualified...or worse. Even on the more intense stages, you can always just go slow. And we all know that slow is smooth...and smooth is fast ;)

There are a lot of videos smattered through that thread showing what we do with the little space we have. I think the most important is in the very first post, about bringing the right gear.
    I'm a fan of the supersteel that pntc does, the outlaw steel shoots that some of the PA clubs do, etc. They are fun and there's a class for everyone. Enough members speak well of your shoots to add them to the list even though I have never attended one. I will eventually get there.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yes, definitely. We'll get you yankin' on triggers with half-assed sight pictures in no time to undo some of those "precision" good habits :rasp:
    Haha. I don't get a lot of free time. Two jobs.

And my half asked sight pictures are usually on live subjects during force on force training. Shooting steel is fun but Shooting your coworkers is better. There is also the benefit of the continuous feedback loop. Have to get you in a shoot house.....you will not see your sights all day.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Welcome from Havre de grace.

Check out southern lancaster county farmers sportsmens association too. They have lots of events as well.

And as always consider joining MSI.

X

Thank you both! Peach Bottom isn’t far from me.
    SLCFSA (www.slcfsa.org) is not much further north of Peach Bottom, and a good place to practice between Delta Steel matches. The used to have steel shoots, but stopped for a while. I'm a member, but not a very active one. I really don't know much about their events nowadays.

The York Izaak Walton League (http://www.yorkiwla.org/) isn't THAT much further away. They do all sorts of action shooting there. So does the AGC (https://agcrange.org/) does a lot, too. They are about an hour from Harford.

Overall, though, I think Delta is the best place to start ;)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Haha. I don't get a lot of free time. Two jobs.

And my half asked sight pictures are usually on live subjects during force on force training. Shooting steel is fun but Shooting your coworkers is better. There is also the benefit of the continuous feedback loop. Have to get you in a shoot house.....you will not see your sights all day.
    hmmm...maybe we wouldn't be undoing that much precision after all ;). Sometimes, we definitely need to at least glance at our sights...sometimes.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    hmmm...maybe we wouldn't be undoing that much precision after all ;). Sometimes, we definitely need to at least glance at our sights...sometimes.
    Nobody sees their sights their first day on live subjects. They target focus. Because that's what people do. I do not run dots on my handguns but I encourage people to do so if they want to. Not only do static target Qual scores go up with them (well documented across many units), people do better at hitting real targets because they can shoot with the target focus that their mind naturally defaults to.

This is more what I am into when I get to shoot for my own enjoyment:

20231203_212058.jpg

bmartin3191

Oct 29, 2023
    Harford County
    SLCFSA (www.slcfsa.org) is not much further north of Peach Bottom, and a good place to practice between Delta Steel matches. The used to have steel shoots, but stopped for a while. I'm a member, but not a very active one. I really don't know much about their events nowadays.

The York Izaak Walton League (http://www.yorkiwla.org/) isn't THAT much further away. They do all sorts of action shooting there. So does the AGC (https://agcrange.org/) does a lot, too. They are about an hour from Harford.

Overall, though, I think Delta is the best place to start ;)
    Thank you for recommendations! Super helpful

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I watched some of your videos and those steel shoots look like fun. Maybe I can convince my son and brother to come out with me and give it a try. I saw the part about side shields being required. We used to use the side shields shown in my link at work, are they sufficient to meet the rule for the steel shots?

Amazon product ASIN B002A5DLP4

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom