• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I have been frequenting Nation's gun show for the past few months and notice that every single time there is one dealer with a complete K31 action. Complete with complete bolt, trigger, and magazine. Just no stock or barrel. I have been interested in it for some time,but the only thing stopping me was that they only take cash. The dealer wanted $150 for it. My idea has been to turn it into a custom rifle looking something like this https://youtube.com/watch?v=tnucPC1zFVI&list=LL7mIxTGariDPvgCSRp65acw

The only thing I would do differently is give it a Light Palma contour barrel in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with a threaded muzzle. Probably a massive bubba money hole, but a cool project that may get a video from these guys. I would have them do the work on it since they probably hve the most experience Ind doing this kind of project.

So what would you guys do if with this K31 action if you were interested at all in doing something with it? Also how bad of an idea is my custom project for this action?

tinydata

Jul 29, 2011
    Potomac
    So...you want to spend a ton of money to get a video on Youtube?

How do you modify the bolt to handle 6.5 Swede?

Who is going to build a stock? Who is going to fit and bed the stock?

The standard K31 is already plenty accurate. If I wanted to throw money at a precision build, I'd pick something with plenty of aftermarket options. You already own one such rifle- the Remington 700.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I were going to do something like that and realize it's a money pit, I'd at least make it worthwhile and have it chambered in 404 Jeffreys or 416 Rigby with a nicely figured walnut stock and a tough 1-4x scope mounted far enough forward so I could get the safety to work.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Why would you want to change the chambering to 6.5? It seems like there is still a lot of GP11 surplus ammo available for 7.5, which by all accounts is very accurate.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    How do you modify the bolt to handle 6.5 Swede?

Who is going to build a stock? Who is going to fit and bed the stock?

The standard K31 is already plenty accurate. If I wanted to throw money at a precision build, I'd pick something with plenty of aftermarket options. You already own one such rifle- the Remington 700.

6.5x55 and 7.5x55 swiss are almost identical cases and OAL (other than the obvious neck diam.) Bolt should be GTG.

Lots of folks have K31 stocks if you google it. Even Boyds has a listing. It was a popular precision target rifle back in the day.

Why R700? Why *NOT* a K31? Its neat & somewhat different (though been done before.) Its straight pull. If the receiver is already missing the other parts doesn't hurt to chamber it in something other than 7.5. W/ the 6.5 you can use the same bullets the 6.5 benchrest guys are and Sierra lists FIVE matchkings avail plus a couple others. I know GP11 is quite good surplus but its not as good as a handload w/ modern BC optimized bullets.

I say go for it!

Edit: I didn't realize 7.5 was actually a .306 bullet and you could shoot 308 bullets through it. I do know that the extra-pointy GP11 bullet isn't duplicated. But the 308 no longer is dominant in precision rifle competition. The BR guys went to 6 & 6.5 just as the 50BMG is ballistically inferior to the cheytacs and 338 lapua at long distance. Modern computer optimized BCs give other calibers the edge if thats the sort of thing you're looking for.

Edit2: This doesn't really belong in the C&R section but in the Rifle section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom