• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My suggestion- look for an NRA CCW class. That will cover all these things in one class, and build your skills and confidence. Taking a class in a group also exposes you to questions you haven't thought of yet.

Hello Mike

Thanks for this information. I was very excited at first to see that there would be a class in Frederick next weekend but when I went to the NRA website, I realized that this is a 2-day class. Unfortunately I am tied up with work on Sundays for the next month or two so this class is not going to work for me. I have taken the Basic NRA Pistol and Rifle courses in the past and they were excellent. So my guess is that these classes would be great as well.

Thanks again for the great suggestion. I'll definitely look into these classes when my CCW renewal comes up.

Penn (aka Cal68)

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've been on a gumbo kick this week since I've been in NOLA and now Biloxi until Saturday
    Hi Blaster

No worries. I hope you are having a great time. I am allergic to all kinds of seafood (I get rashes all over my body that itch like hell) so I stay away from the NOLA style gumbo! :)

Penn

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hi Blaster

No worries. I hope you are having a great time. I am allergic to all kinds of seafood (I get rashes all over my body that itch like hell) so I stay away from the NOLA style gumbo! :)

Penn
    I’ll eat your share.

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    This!
    My only beef with GC is that he always schedules classes when I cant make it. The nerve of him.

Come on bro!! I’m scheduling Sundays now to get you in!! Of course, weather has been totally screwing things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    Hi All

Many thanks for your responses and recommendations. First of all, I am relieved that no one thought my plan to get additional individualized training is a hair-brained idea. As I stated in my original request, I just want to get the training for my safety and the safety of everyone else around me. I have previously posted on my CCW class experience on MDS, so I will not reiterate it except to say that the training did not cover any of the topics that I felt I needed to understand better.

I will connect with guncommander and blaster (is this Blaster229 who has a post above?) and find a time/place when I can meet up with one of them. In terms of length of the class, I will talk to them and figure out if 60 min is sufficient or if we need more time. In his posting above, Blaster229 quite accurately stated what I am looking for in the training.

I am a member of TMGN in Frederick and I know that they hold CCW classes, but when I talked to one of the staff about individual/personalized training, he was not able to tell me if this was possible.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Cal68

Hi there! Everything you are asking for I incorporate in both my 16 hour course, as well as my 8 hour renewal course. I’d be happy to work with you. I’ll attach a link to my website so you can see my background and training philosophy. Feel free to check it out when you can, and reach out with any questions. We can even try to figure out alternative training locations to make the distance easier to handle. I’ll definitely make it worth the trip.

Miguel
    443-534-9416

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Hi there! Everything you are asking for I incorporate in both my 16 hour course, as well as my 8 hour renewal course. I’d be happy to work with you. I’ll attach a link to my website so you can see my background and training philosophy. Feel free to check it out when you can, and reach out with any questions. We can even try to figure out alternative training locations to make the distance easier to handle. I’ll definitely make it worth the trip.

Miguel
    443-534-9416

Hi Miguel

I just sent you and Blaster an IM. I am definitely not looking to repeat the 16 or even 8 hour training class but I am definitely interested in a one on one training session that will answer my specific quesions.

Thanks and best regards.

Penn (aka Cal68)

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Hi All

I am looking for recommendations for a trainer who can give me a 60 min Concealed Carry 101 training session to plug some fundamentals that I did not get when I took the 16 hour CCW class. I have my MD CCW but I feel that can use some additional information over and above what I got when I took the mandated class. I want to feel confident carrying a loaded handgun and although I can find a lot of the information I am seeking on-line, I believe that nothing beats training provided by a live instructor. For example, I want to be sure I get advice on the pros and cons of different carry-positions (Appendix, 3 O'Clock, 6 O'Clock, etc.), as well as tips on holstering/unholstering loaded weapons. In addition, I have bought several IWB/OWB holsters and most of them feel uncomfortable when I wear them, even when I do not have a weapon in them. This could be because I may not be positioning them correctly upon my person when I wear the holster. Basically I need someone to train me on the fundamentals that I should have got, but never did, when I took the 16-hour training course. I recognize that some people may think that I am overthinking concealed carry, but I firmly believe that I need the live training for my own safety and the safety of others around me.

My preference is for a trainer who is a 30-45 min or so drive from Gaithersburg/Germantown MD. I will of course pay a reasonable amount for this valuable and to me, essential training. I hope my friends on this forum can recommend an experienced trainer who can help me out.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Cal68
    Message sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom