• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrlexed88

Amateur Race Car Driver
    Nov 28, 2016
    Harford
    I did a quick google search making sure there isn’t any law that denies our rights and couldn’t find any, but figured I’ll ask the “lawyers” of MDS.

Also I’m currently not a member of a church at the moment, so finding a 2A friendly church is a plus. Would you guys ask the pastor for permission to carry or find the hard way they’re not 2A friendly. Would hate to find great interest in a church just to find another that has same beliefs as me.
    Thanks!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How would a church know you are carrying?
    Find a church you like and legally carry if you’d like.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Indeed, concealed means concealed... I carried at several Harford County churches and the pastor never knew.

That said, where are you and what sort of church are you looking for? Quiet, traditional, loud, modern?

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    You should tell the pastor you're carrying. They might want to know who their go to guy is. You'll know then if your welcome to be there under those circumstances. Why would you want to be in a church where you are not welcome when your intent is to preserve life in the room if things go sideways. No different than when I turn away from a business that has a "no guns" allowed sign on the door. Let them suffer from their decision when they are robbed at unpoint and a life is lost.

On a side note to that thinking, seems businesses are and could be subject to a civil suit if someone is injured or killed by someone that could have been stopped, by a good guy, if patrons were allowed to conceal carry legally otherwise.

In a semi-related way a long time ago Marriott was sued because a woman was assaulted in a hotel lobby that had cameras on the walls. Turns out the cameras were a deterrent and not real, she sued thinking that she was under the impression they were working cameras providing active security when she checked in. She won her suit. At least when people see that "no gun" sign they know that there will be no way that their lives may be defended if someone entered with the wrong intent.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Always good to inform IMO, they may already have a 'team' (you probably won't know they're there) who would like to know who the other 'good guys' are in the event something goes down.

Better yet, get to know the people/leadership by getting involved in church activities (crazy idea I know : ) and you'll find out fairly quickly where things stand.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Don't ask, don't tell. Simple as that. Why create an issue when there is a 99.99% chance that you'll never need it and on the off chance that you do need it you'll have it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The biggest problem with people carrying concealed guns legally is their inability to stop telling people about it...

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    THIS.

Do you tell the owner of any other business that you're carrying concealed? No. Why would the church be any different.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The biggest problem with people carrying concealed guns legally is their inability to stop telling people about it...
    Perfect.
    Our pastor knows, because he's asked my about handguns, holsters, etc.
    Informally, we have 3 or 4 members who carry and tend to sit outboard of aisles near entry/exits.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I let the security team of the very large church that I'm carrying. I'm not wanting to get shot. We're all introduced to each other.
    There's a reason why LEO's flying armed had to notify us on the plane, because if something goes down and we don't know them, they're getting shot.
    Prepare to get shot if you don't let someone know that you're part of the "team". There's no rule that active shooters act alone. Always expect another bad gun, until there isn't one.
    But you do you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I let the security team of the very large church that I'm carrying. I'm not wanting to get shot. We're all introduced to each other.
    There's a reason why LEO's flying armed had to notify us on the plane, because if something goes down and we don't know them, they're getting shot.
    Prepare to get shot if you don't let someone know that you're part of the "team". There's no rule that active shooters act alone. Always expect another bad gun, until there isn't one.
    But you do you.
    When I lived in Harford County, I attended Mountain Christian. They had a security team with uniform polo shirts. They were easy to spot by design and many an off-duty cop identified themselves to that team. That said, I'm sure that plenty didn't. Maybe that's a topic for a future class is dealing with unknown armed people in a dangerous situation.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    When I lived in Harford County, I attended Mountain Christian. They had a security team with uniform polo shirts. They were easy to spot by design and many an off-duty cop identified themselves to that team. That said, I'm sure that plenty didn't. Maybe that's a topic for a future class is dealing with unknown armed people in a dangerous situation.
    I think a "uniformed" security team is a terrible idea.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The leadership and a large chunk of the congregation at my church knows what I do so there really isn't any question about me having a Firearm. This includes my wife.

Not long ago, one of the elders of the church approached me in the sanctuary before service started and handed me a pistol in a Ziploc baggie to fix. :)

I also agree with Blaster.

Churches that care about their congregation have security teams and if they don't know you, and you have to use your gun, you will probably be considered a bad guy and shot if something bad happens.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Our Church has a security team and cameras. They want to know. IF something ever gappens they don't also want some unknown player they don't know suddenly jumping up with a gun too. On Sunday mornings we have up to 5-6 carrying and one in the security office watching the monitors, less Sunday night and Wednesday. If our doors are open, some of them are there.

At the kast admin meeting the head of security in July let Pastor and the rest of us know he fully expects a lot of members carrying now that "Is is Shall Issue". Of course, I agreed. ;) and he laughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom