• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Blaster almost certainly has more experience carrying in a plainclothes environment than anyone else I know. I certainly respect his view and don't disagree with where he lands on it.

That said, I would offer this thought. I've carried off-duty, everywhere I've gone for 22 years. I've always operated under the feeling that there were very likely other armed people about that I simply didn't know about. In the event of something like an active shooter, if I move to contact than every other armed person there is 1) a possible threat, 2) viewing me the same way. When uniformed police or security arrive, failing to follow their orders may get me shot so I'd better pay attention to them.

I guess I just don't see the difference that makes a church different from any other place that may be employing non-uniformed, armed security or occupied by lawful carriers. If I go to the mall, I'm not stopping at the security office to check in. I don't alert the Amtrak police or Transit cops when I ride the train. Maybe that's a failing on my part.
    Yes. The DC metro area probably has the highest LEO density of any area in the world. Noticing a plain clothed person carrying is not unusual and over the years I've noticed quite a few visitors to the church "carrying". The carrying part isn't the problem. What would bring their presence into question would be their demeanor.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why do you say that?

It's not a deterrent. And identifies you as one of the first ones to get shot.

The visual deterrent should be outside, and many are with one or two police cars. In the larger churches, i.e... Lighthouse church Glen Burnie.
    If that doesn't make a shooter think twice, your matching shirts inside won't work.
    Speed, surprise, and violence of action. Hopefully we can satisfy at least the "surprise" portion of the motto. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why do you say that?

The visual deterrent should be outside, and many are with one or two police cars. In the larger churches, i.e... Lighthouse church Glen Burnie.
    If that doesn't make a shooter think twice, your matching shirts inside won't work. You need the next step,
    Speed, surprise, and violence of action. Hopefully we can satisfy at least the "surprise" portion of the motto. :)

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County

If that doesn't make a shooter think twice, your matching shirts inside won't work.
    "Speed, surprise, and violence of action"

This is the way!

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    How does it impact things if the church is a combined church/daycare/school? For instance, St. Johns in ellicott city has the old historic church, but also a big school complex on site.

Under Section 4-102 of Maryland's Criminal Code, it is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on school grounds. This applies to “public schools.”

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-102 - Deadly weapons on school property.

§ 4-102. Deadly weapons on school property.

(a) Exceptions.- This section does not apply to:

(1) a law enforcement officer in the regular course of the officer's duty;

(2) a person hired by a county board of education specifically for the purpose of guarding public school property;

(3) a person engaged in organized shooting activity for educational purposes; or

(4) a person who, with a written invitation from the school principal, displays or engages in a historical demonstration using a weapon or a replica of a weapon for educational purposes.

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

(c) Penalty.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

(2) A person who is convicted of carrying or possessing a handgun in violation of this section shall be sentenced under Subtitle 2 of this title.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Federal Law- "Gun Free School Zone"

(26)The term “school zone” means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    (27) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I believe Methodist Churches are absolutely GFZs, no exceptions. Of course, I could be wrong.
    The official Methodist stance is below. That said, I'm aware of a Maryland exception to this rule. ;)

7. Prohibit guns on church property
    To help prevent gun violence United Methodist congregations are "to display signs that prohibit carrying guns onto church property."

8. Advocate for regulation
    Finally, we are called "to advocate at the local and national levels for laws that prevent or reduce gun violence." Some of these measures include:

Universal background checks on all gun purchases, ensuring that all guns are sold through licensed retailers, and establishing a minimum age of 21 years for a gun purchase or possession.
    Ratifying the Arms Trade Treaty.
    Prohibiting those convicted of violent crimes, those under restraining order due to the threat of violence, and those with serious mental illness that may be a danger to themselves or others from purchasing a gun.
    Ensuring greater access to services for those suffering from mental illness.
    Banning magazine and weapons designed to fire multiple rounds each time the trigger is pulled.
    Promoting technologies that help law-enforcement agencies trace crime guns and promote public safety.

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I did a quick google search making sure there isn’t any law that denies our rights and couldn’t find any, but figured I’ll ask the “lawyers” of MDS.

Also I’m currently not a member of a church at the moment, so finding a 2A friendly church is a plus. Would you guys ask the pastor for permission to carry or find the hard way they’re not 2A friendly. Would hate to find great interest in a church just to find another that has same beliefs as me.
    Thanks!
    Like Blaster and others here, I've carried concealed for decades in numerous churches, synagogues and mosques without issue. I was armed even during my own wedding- and nobody knew outside my immediate family and certain acquaintances.

When selecting a new church for you, ask the questions that matter to you. It's a highly personal choice.

IMHO, it shouldn't be the first thing you talk about, but it might be the last question you raise.

"Reverend, do you have a Security plan, in the event of an armed intruder?"

If they have no emergency plan, it may not be the place you spend time in. Then again, you may be the solution they didn't know they needed.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    If you are checking out a new church that is not a mega church with a security team, I would consider either not telling anyone for a bit or forego carrying for a few weeks again till you get settled into the church.

There are differing views about guns and ccw in the Christian community. It is going to take some time for even some pro-gun people to get used to folks carrying. I am all for people carrying wherever they want to, in general, so not trying to curtail the right. Just noting that it is something that is easier for others to process when they know you and protecting other Christians from even what you think is a bad opinion is part of the deal as a disciple.

I have been personally challenged by Philippians 1:20-26 on the issue as well.

I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    At one time my church knew that I carried but the guy I told is no longer there.
    I have not told anyone else, I have been going to the church for approx 6 years so I think they know I am okay.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The official Methodist stance is below. That said, I'm aware of a Maryland exception to this rule. ;)

To help prevent gun violence United Methodist congregations are "to display signs that prohibit carrying guns onto church property."

Finally, we are called "to advocate at the local and national levels for laws that prevent or reduce gun violence." Some of these measures include:

Universal background checks on all gun purchases, ensuring that all guns are sold through licensed retailers, and establishing a minimum age of 21 years for a gun purchase or possession.
    Prohibiting those convicted of violent crimes, those under restraining order due to the threat of violence, and those with serious mental illness that may be a danger to themselves or others from purchasing a gun.
    Banning magazine and weapons designed to fire multiple rounds each time the trigger is pulled.
    Promoting technologies that help law-enforcement agencies trace crime guns and promote public safety.
    Look up the United Methodist Church's Book of Resolutions, specifically Resolution 3426. You will think you picked up a copy of Mom's Demand Action's Bylaws......

"ADOPTED 2000, revised and readopted 2008
    resolution #3426, 2008*book of resolutions"

"11. reflecting the traditional role of The United Methodist Church that has been one of safety and sanctuary, every United Methodist Church is officially declared a weapon-free zone."

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

Look up the United Methodist Church's Book of Resolutions, specifically Resolution 3426. You will think you picked up a copy of Mom's Demand Action's Bylaws......

"11. reflecting the traditional role of The United Methodist Church that has been one of safety and sanctuary, every United Methodist Church is officially declared a weapon-free zone."

BTW - quotes above are from this resolution.....

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua

BTW - quotes above are from this resolution.....
    Because as we know, criminals and psychos follow laws, rules and glass door decals.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County

"Speed, surprise, and violence of action"

This is the way!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    At one time my church knew that I carried but the guy I told is no longer there.
    I have not told anyone else, I have been going to the church for approx 6 years so I think they know I am okay.
    Either that, or you're that odd guy that everyone is afraid to ask to stop coming. ;)

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Some of you are OVER thinking things, and some of you are UNDER thinking things. I've carried for 20+ years and it is exceptionally rare to tell anyone anything about a gun. For the years I was in patrol I drove a marked cruiser off duty, so many could easily make the assumption if they saw me in a parking lot. I drive an unmarked now, but anyone with firing neurons can easily identify it as a cop car.

If I'm going to the supermarket or Lowes, I don't tell the manager.

On the other hand, I got to church almost every Sunday. I often volunteer on Saturdays. I'm there most Wednesday evenings for my kids to attend Adventure Club. My kids attend a home school tutorial program on Tuesdays and Fridays, so I will often volunteer on Fridays at the church as well.

Since I am at the church so often, I introduced myself to the security team and let them know that I carry often. I am now a member of that security team as well. We are a congregation of about 500 people, so its not a mega church, but its also not a tiny church. I know a lot of our members and recognize the majority of our regular attendees. Security and ushers do have small radios and earpieces. I find the radios extremely annoying and feel that it makes me more of a target, but it is what it is.

The point is, there is no need (or perceived benefit) to tell random people that you carry. However, if it is a place to you go regularly that you reasonably believe has a security team then perhaps it makes sense to introduce yourself. I would imagine most places of worship (at least ones whose faith lines up with mine) would encourage reasonable and restrained self defense. If your church doesn't yet have an organized security team, maybe you could help start a team.

If you chose not to identify yourself as armed, just be cautious and cognizant that they may have a security team that could deem you (an unknown armed subject) as a threat if something ever happened and you had to draw a gun. Be very careful and listen to any commands that come your way.

As we have a sudden influx of armed people in a state that has historically not had them, we are bound to have some good guy on good guy shooting situations when someone didn't communicate properly or distinguish between a good guy and a bad actor. Please stay safe, keep your family safe and try to go home every night.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads