• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Since I've submitted my wear and carry permit application, I've been looking into various carry options. I've had several ads pop up about various t-shirts with pockets in the armpit. I can see this as a legitimate option.

However, this doesn't seem like it would be a good carry system. But I figured this was where I'd need to ask.

Do any of you have one of these concealed carry t-shirts? If so, are these a legitimate choice for carrying? Or are these just someone else attempting to make a buck?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Doesn't seem comfortable to me, and likely quite difficult to get to when you need it. When seconds count, it's a pain in the neck trying to fumble with extravagant contraptions. When you haven't trained on them, it gets exceptionally worse. I suppose they could work, but I don't see a benefit over a simple belt holster.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Since I've submitted my wear and carry permit application, I've been looking into various carry options. I've had several ads pop up about various t-shirts with pockets in the armpit. I can see this as a legitimate option.

However, this doesn't seem like it would be a good carry system. But I figured this was where I'd need to ask.

Do any of you have one of these concealed carry t-shirts? If so, are these a legitimate choice for carrying? Or are these just someone else attempting to make a buck?
    No, and I know of which you speak. Seems like a really bad alternative to a legit shoulder rig under a jacket if your convinced on that a shoulder carry method. Think about where your hands are most of the time. Waist band carry seems like a much more intuitive and time saving location for your CCW should you need to access it in a flash. Sure, if you're willing to train and always wear that particular shirt every time you train and carry.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I opted for a hi-rise “belly” band I wear over a regular T or A shirt and under a button front over shirt.

Typically an oxford in winter and madras in summer.

If I bought one carry undershirt I’d have to get at least a dozen to keep rotating after each use.

That’s expensive.

I’m “frugal.”

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    My warm weather carry is OWB at 3:30-4 (I’m fat), over a t-shirt, under an unbuttoned button-down.

The belt is the most important gear.

-Rob

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I bought one to wear sometimes in a dress shirt & tie situation. Knowing full well this wasn’t a particularly speedy option, just an “I don’t want to be without a weapon today” option. It’s a tight polyester shirt, like Under Armour heat gear, and it fits fine. The “holster” pocket however is difficult to get to, it is also very, very deceptively deep. Thinking the opening of the pocket was on the small side and wanting the additional safety of the heavy double-action trigger pull, I carried my Walther PPK in it one day - quite frankly it fell basically all the way to my waist line where retrieving it was quite difficult. Maybe a much larger gun would work better?

Again, I’ll still do this again at some point. However, IMHO it seemed like a much better idea on paper and on the website before wearing it. I’ll just say, sure it works, but there are way better options out there.

Edit: mine is a cheaper Amazon version, not one of the name-brands mentioned in this thread. The absurdly deep pocket might be a consequence of that. I’d be pretty satisfied with it otherwise, for limited occasional carry.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Definitely a slow stealthy draw. Not an everyday option, but certainly a deep concealment option if you have to go into a non permissive environment. The compression polyester doesn't absorb sweat. I wore these on long international flights when sitting on my holster for 9 to 15 hours would have sucked. Had a P229 in one side with cuffs and extra mag in the other arm.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Wow, that was quick.

That's exactly what I thought the response would be.

The ads make it seem like it is the ultimate carry option, which certainly does not exist.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i (not skinny) carry a glock 43x aiwb and generally just wear a loose fitting tee or polo shirt over it. with dark colors or mixed colors, while it technically prints, it's pretty hard to notice and no one has given any indication they've noticed.

the one open carry website i've perused, most everyone says no one notices them open carrying, so with a shirt over it you're almost golden.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I've used them before with a light sport coat over the shirt, with my Glock 43x and Holosun sight. I'm thin, and for me it was less than optimal unless I was sitting a lot. Walking around or movement would cause a bit of chafing on the inside of my arm on the side I was carrying the pistol. My extra mag was in my pants pocket to impress the ladies, and/or to just have an extra mag in case it was needed, along with my usual EDC birth control, and/or a couple of wet naps in case I find decent chicken wings, etc...

Some pics below. 3rd pic is my belly band setup with trigger guard built in. I can draw pretty fast from the shoulder setup shown, but the shirts do not absorb sweat well, and I think a decent shoulder rig would just be flat out a better option if you aren't partial to IWB or other perhaps more common CCW options.

The shirts come in different colors and styles, and maybe it works for bigger and huskier guys, but I prefer IWB appendix carry in a holster, or even a belly band type setup with a small trigger guard kydex holster as more practical and realistic EDC setups vs the shirts.

A good quality concealing garment or sport coat definitely hides the pistol well using those shirts, but it isn't an EDC option for me unless I am driving or a passenger in a car, etc.. with not much movement, etc...

IMG_7534.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends upon your concept of Legitimate. They are what they are, and do what they do .

Conceals very well , even with larger guns .

Access is slow and awkward, reholstering worse .

Suited more for BUG, or very deep concealment in non permissive environments. For general purpose carry , most everyone would want better access for their primary ( or only) gun .

I have never used one, so I can't speak for them. That being said...
    Marylanders are (mostly) new to the CCW game and are terrified their concealed pistol will be discovered by a Karen at the local supermarket. Unless you're doing something really shady, people aren't studying you to determine whether you're printing or not. Trust me when I say concealing a G43x, P365, Shield, LCP, Hellcat, et al is really easy for all body sizes.
    A comfortable holster and a good belt are far more important than worrying about printing. People pay attention to fidgeting with your waistband far more than a slight bulge at your beltline.
    I carry a G43x at 3:00 in a Safariland ALS paddle holster (comfortable and really easy on and off). It is not a "concealment" holster by any means, but if I'm not wearing really tight, extra sexy, man parts revealing, attire like @MaxVO2 nobody is going to notice.
    A poster above- @Blaster229 is a retired Federal Air Marshall. They carried P229's on airplanes and I bet he wasn't "busted" more than once a month.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ****I've used them before with a light sport coat over the shirt, with my Glock 43x and Holosun sight. I'm thin, and for me it was less than optimal unless I was sitting a lot. Walking around or movement would cause a bit of chafing on the inside of my arm on the side I was carrying the pistol. My extra mag was in my pants pocket to impress the ladies, and/or to just have an extra mag in case it was needed, along with my usual EDC birth control, and/or a couple of wet naps in case I find decent chicken wings, etc...

Some pics below. 3rd pic is my belly band setup with trigger guard built in. I can draw pretty fast from the shoulder setup shown, but the shirts do not absorb sweat well, and I think a decent shoulder rig would just be flat out a better option if you aren't partial to IWB or other perhaps more common CCW options.

The shirts come in different colors and styles, and maybe it works for bigger and huskier guys, but I prefer IWB appendix carry in a holster, or even a belly band type setup with a small trigger guard kydex holster as more practical and realistic EDC setups vs the shirts.

A good quality concealing garment or sport coat definitely hides the pistol well using those shirts, but it isn't an EDC option for me unless I am driving or a passenger in a car, etc.. with not much movement, etc...

View attachment 466276
    View attachment 466277
    View attachment 466279
    Oh no brother. I just chubbed. I have a vnsh belt i love

View attachment 466276
    View attachment 466277
    View attachment 466279
    Is it just me, or does @MaxVO2 always seem to pose in vacant condos? This post was eerily missing his signature Easter Egg (Jeep reference) about genital size and/or Crossfit.

USAF05

Just one more gun...
    Sep 26, 2022
    Andrews AF
    had a similar shirt. One day i was standing in my garage and bent down to tie my shoe. The weight of the gun forced the velcro open and i was looking down the barrel of my gun as it headed to the concrete floor. I caught it inches before impact, but immediately threw the shirt in the trash,

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I usually carry my P365 at 3 o'clock IWB in either a Safariland Species or a Versacarry Compound Custom. The Species is very comfortable in just jeans and a t-shirt. I use the Versacarry if I have to tuck in a shirt. Not the quickest draw if tucked in but it works. I will occasionally carry a Colt Vest Pocket .25 in a pocket holster in suit and tie. Not my first choice for defensive carry but my suits have been let out as far as they can go and I'm too "frugal" to buy another yet. Concealed carry t-shirts and belly bands just don't seem like good options for me.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    had a similar shirt. One day i was standing in my garage and bent down to tie my shoe. The weight of the gun forced the velcro open and i was looking down the barrel of my gun as it headed to the concrete floor. I caught it inches before impact, but immediately threw the shirt in the trash,
    I bet it wasn't the 5.11 shirt. Never try catching a loaded falling pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom