Concealing fixed blades with a W&C permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Does a W&C permit allow me to legally concealed carry a fixed blade? I want to say the answer is yes, but I probably should verify that...

I currently semi-conceal a folder (pocket clip very visible expect in NPEs), but would like to move to a centerline fixed blade if that's in the cards.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    This is not my crapping on you when i ask. I preface it because the internet leaves out context.

What’s your rationale for a fixed blade?

I ask because i, like most of you goons, carry a knife daily. I am failing to see the utility of a fixed blade. Hell i even went away from nice folders and carry a leatherman Skeletool because i find way more utility.

Again you do you bud, not really questioning you carrying a fixed blade just wondering the justification/utility. Because I want to is a sufficient answer just wondering if there’s a utility I’m not thinking about.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Does a W&C permit allow me to legally concealed carry a fixed blade? I want to say the answer is yes, but I probably should verify that...

I currently semi-conceal a folder (pocket clip very visible expect in NPEs), but would like to move to a centerline fixed blade if that's in the cards.

Maryland law doesn't ban concealed carry of pen knives, so that clip doesn't need to be visible.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This is not my crapping on you when i ask. I preface it because the internet leaves out context.

I ask because i, like most of you goons, carry a knife daily. I am failing to see the utility of a fixed blade. Hell i even went away from nice folders and carry a leatherman Skeletool because i find way more utility.

Again you do you bud, not really questioning you carrying a fixed blade just wondering the justification/utility. Because I want to is a sufficient answer just wondering if there’s a utility I’m not thinking about.
    Carrying a fixed blade in a sheath, frees up a front trouser pocket.

FWIW... I've been carrying my folder in my back right pocket (clip on) because I do not like the hand agitation when I'm reaching into my front pocket for something else.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Faster than a gun and arguably more lethal within contact distance and they can get someone off of your gun if they're fighting you to get control of it.

I'm currently in the market for a good fixed blade for my left hand side. I keep bouncing back and forth between a TDI, clinch pick, karambit, or something like the Benchmade SOCP.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If your knife is faster than a gun, you aren't handling your gun correctly. Maintaining control of any weapon is an art that must be learned and practiced, knives are no exception.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If your knife is faster than a gun, you aren't handling your gun correctly. Maintaining control of any weapon is an art that must be learned and practiced, knives are no exception.

Tell Mr defoor I guess.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Carrying a fixed blade in a sheath, frees up a front trouser pocket.

FWIW... I've been carrying my folder in my back right pocket (clip on) because I do not like the hand agitation when I'm reaching into my front pocket for something else.
    Any answer to my query is perfectly acceptable and i get it.

The only problem i have with this is you called pants trousers. Maybe buy some slacks without pleats and you can call me on your rotary phone ;)

Obviously just kidding.

I have two very nice fixed blades. One is that big ass gerber (never found a use for it besides wood kindling) and my machete works better and a pterodactyl that I’ve legit never used.

Just asking so maybe i can find a utility.

rhull1971

Jul 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD

I'm pretty sure that the MD wear & carry permit only applies to handguns. It's not so that you can carry a knife (in general, carrying a knife in MD comes down to intent and usage... it's not generally illegal at the state level), or any other weapon.... Just the wearing and carrying (which also includes "off-body" carrying") of a registered handgun that you personally own. I also believe that it does't cover things like "truck guns" or other forms of long gun.

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm pretty sure that the MD wear & carry permit only applies to handguns. It's not so that you can carry a knife (in general, carrying a knife in MD comes down to intent and usage... it's not generally illegal at the state level), or any other weapon.... Just the wearing and carrying (which also includes "off-body" carrying") of a registered handgun that you personally own. I also believe that it does't cover things like "truck guns" or other forms of long gun.
    It exempts you from the ban on the carry of deadly weapons.

Fixed blade knives. Ninja stars. Gravity knives. Switchblade. Nunchucks. You can find the list online

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is an entirely reasonable question.

Centerline fixed blades are much much faster to access than a pocket folder (even the Wave!) for defensive use, and, further, allow me to access it with my left or right hand. I know this because I went to the Active Response Training knife class and we all attacked each other and defended with trainers. The TDI LE knife was insanely fast to access (I used the PHLster holster, which was also quite good). It was especially good for defending surprise grabs from behind, which is a common surprise attack.

(Chances are good I'll continue to carry a pocket folder on me, because why not? I do use it very frequently for utility tasks.)

Whether I'd always carry a fixed blade is maybe a different discussion, but there are certainly times I think I would want one if it were legal. I very much disagree with the premise that guns are always a substitute for knives; if someone's in your face and knows what they're doing, pulling your gun immediately is not usually the right move.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

It doesn't only apply to handguns. See linked statute in Post #2 re: "dangerous weapons".

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania

I carry a kbar strapped to my pack when I go hiking. I can't tell you the number of times it has come in handy to be able to hack out a vine or something that was blocking the trail. Or to finish off a broken branch hanging over the trail before it falls on someone. Or to see how deep a mud puddle is. Or 500 things that haven't come up yet.

It's not a defensive weapon at all. Especially when it's not in an easily grabbed position on my pack. It's a utilitarian tool. But it is a large fixed blade knife.

I used to carry it hiking in MD for years before I ever knew MD had an issue with it. (All probably prior to whatever the statute of limitations are for admission of guilt of a thing like that so suck it, Maryland SA's)

I did not carry a kbar around town or to the mall or anything. Not for concealment difficulties....mostly because the brown leather sheath never matched my shoes and a man has to have some standards, you know.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    The OP's question addressed concealed carry specifically. While 4-101 states that a person with a W&C permit may legally carry a dangerous weapon, 4-101 (c)(1) states "A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person" That would seem to indicate that while carrying is legal, concealed carry is not. What am I missing?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Glad you posted this. I was curious and searched online and it wasn't exactly clear.
    I usually carry a small assisted folder with pocket clip but it gets in the way. Not really a collector of pointy stabby things, but I'd like to know.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I carry a kbar strapped to my pack when I go hiking. I can't tell you the number of times it has come in handy to be able to hack out a vine or something that was blocking the trail. Or to finish off a broken branch hanging over the trail before it falls on someone. Or to see how deep a mud puddle is. Or 500 things that haven't come up yet.

It's not a defensive weapon at all. Especially when it's not in an easily grabbed position on my pack. It's a utilitarian tool. But it is a large fixed blade knife.

I used to carry it hiking in MD for years before I ever knew MD had an issue with it. (All probably prior to whatever the statute of limitations are for admission of guilt of a thing like that so suck it, Maryland SA's)

I did not carry a kbar around town or to the mall or anything. Not for concealment difficulties....mostly because the brown leather sheath never matched my shoes and a man has to have some standards, you know.
    Oh i totally get camping/hiking for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom