• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’m sure there are 10000 threads on this but the search feature is a swamp donkey.

I know a lot of you have worries if what if i have to leave my gun in my car? What are my options?

I don’t know how well this thing works but thought it was nifty.

Safe inside a head rest. Biometric (not a fan but i get it). Pricey but i honestly like the idea. Not for quick access but hidden storage.

Attachments

• 3108BB01-6384-4DB3-AAAC-5ED0E5316129.png
      3108BB01-6384-4DB3-AAAC-5ED0E5316129.png
      99.3 KB · Views: 262
    May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Most headrests have a release button, they can be unassed in two seconds. Plus there's the issue of someone seeing the driver put something in a headrest. An unusual movement that would possibly draw attention. I think the only solid option would be some sort of metal safe that can be bolted to the floor of the vehicle.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm probably doing it wrong, but I just have small steel gun safes with cables and keyed locks. I just run the cables around as much steel as I can under the front seat.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Most headrests have a release button, they can be unassed in two seconds. Plus there's the issue of someone seeing the driver put something in a headrest...
    These two concerns are exactly what I would have posted. Anything to secure a firearm must be secured to the vehicle first. Secondary would be a place you can access away from prying eyes. Almost as bad as seeing where you stash your gun would be seeing that you just disarmed yourself.

For those times I might have to store a firearm temporarily in the vehicle, I have a small (real) safe that is securely cable-locked to the vehicle. I can access the safe to move the pistol in/out without anyone seeing me handle the firearm or open the safe. The alternative is for me to not be hard headed about carrying 18/7/365 and just leaving the firearm(s) home at times, but I don't think so...

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Other nit-picky thoughts about it are:

1. How well does it actually still function as a head rest?
    2. Would you need more than 1 in order to not have it stick out as different?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Lol i get you can be seen making those movements that’s pretty valid but when have you ever heard of a headrest thief?

It’s the hide in plain sight adage. Could be a hunk of crap i dunno just thought it was innovative.

goody6691

May 9, 2012
    I got a lifepod2.0 from vaultek. Fits under back of the front seat. In my truck. Has a cable to lock it into the truck. Has a keypad and is biometric. For the places you can't take gun

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Lol i get you can be seen making those movements that’s pretty valid but when have you ever heard of a headrest thief?

It’s the hide in plain sight adage. Could be a hunk of crap i dunno just thought it was innovative.
    Unfortunately I keep a small pair of bolt cutters in my truck (in case I need to break out of FEMA camp or something) so I pretty much have the tools already in the truck for a thief to use to cut a cabled gun safe loose.
    There are very limited places to hide something in a truck. The headrest thing is genius.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    There are safes that bolt into the center console for trucks. Pretty straightforward installation, no permanent mods, secure against smash and grab, and not visible without opening the console.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There are safes that bolt into the center console for trucks. Pretty straightforward installation, no permanent mods, secure against smash and grab, and not visible without opening the console.
    They are pretty cheap too and kill the center console storage room.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I knew this thread was going to parrot the other car storage thread. People ALWAYS over thinking everything.
    No. YOU aren't that special that someone is going to follow you and surveil your every move and make the move on your vehicle in broad daylight when you run into the store to get kotex and a pack of cigs for the Ol' lady.

If you store a pistol in a "hide in plain view" headrest overnight, maybe you should question your intelligence.

A casual break in car thief hits the glove box and console for the easy pickin's. They aren't carrying bolt cutters just in case they come across a cable secure box with a pistol in it.

How long you people leaving a pistol in your car anyway?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    They are pretty cheap too and kill the center console storage room.

I was actually surprised at the heft/build quality of the one I purchased. It was better than I had expected. For sure, it crushes the console storage room, especially if you want to dedicate the locking compartment to a firearm (that's what I do) as opposed to fast food napkins and whatever else we stow in the console. :)

I'm fortunate in that the Tundra's console is especially large, so I still have a decent amount of room even after accounting for the safe.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I was actually surprised at the heft/build quality of the one I purchased. It was better than I had expected. For sure, it crushes the console storage room, especially if you want to dedicate the locking compartment to a firearm (that's what I do) as opposed to fast food napkins and whatever else we stow in the console. :)

I'm fortunate in that the Tundra's console is especially large, so I still have a decent amount of room even after accounting for the safe.
    Do you have the tundra console organizer tray? I’ll admit I’d be lost without it. Tundra storage in general sucks and that stupid thing on the dash is less then worthless.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Do you have the tundra console organizer tray? I’ll admit I’d be lost without it. Tundra storage in general sucks and that stupid thing on the dash is less then worthless.

Actually I don't. I wish had it before I bought the safe, but couldn't use it now. My safe was supposed to come with one, but I haven't missed it honestly. I expect your storage/organization needs are different with little ones and such.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Unfortunately I keep a small pair of bolt cutters in my truck (in case I need to break out of FEMA camp or something) so I pretty much have the tools already in the truck for a thief to use to cut a cabled gun safe loose.
    There are very limited places to hide something in a truck. The headrest thing is genius.

You need to lock up the bolt cutters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom