• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    In Under 48 Hours, VAWA Gun Control Was Rammed Through Congress

- Sections 1101-1102: the NICS Denial Notification Act to launch criminal investigations into firearm transfer background check denials—even though 9 out of 10 times the system falsely denies a law-abiding citizen.
    - Section 1103: funding for ATF to deputize local police to enforce federal gun laws, especially to undermine Second Amendment Protection Act (SAPA) states.

Here are the 18 Republicans that voted for the bill

Barrasso (R-WY)
    Blunt (R-MO)
    Capito (R-WV)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Cornyn (R-TX)
    Ernst (R-IA)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Grassley (R-IA)
    Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
    McConnell (R-KY)
    Moran (R-KS)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Portman (R-OH)
    Shelby (R-AL)
    Thune (R-SD)
    Tuberville (R-AL)
    Wicker (R-MS)
    Young (R-IN)

UPDATE: Did NRA Sell Us Out AGAIN?!?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    - Sections 1101-1102: the NICS Denial Notification Act to launch criminal investigations into firearm transfer background check denials—even though 9 out of 10 times the system falsely denies a law-abiding citizen

This is a tough one. I do think people who are prohibited and knowingly try to buy guns should be prosecuted.

When it comes to people who didn't know because of some charge they had 20 years ago that changed, they should get a warning.

Moreso, why we should be able to look ourselves up in NICS.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    This is a tough one. I do think people who are prohibited and knowingly try to buy guns should be prosecuted.

When it comes to people who didn't know because of some charge they had 20 years ago that changed, they should get a warning.

Moreso, why we should be able to look ourselves up in NICS.

There is a 90% false positive rate for NICS denials. That is putting a lot of innocent people and dogs at risk.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There is a 90% false positive rate for NICS denials. That is putting a lot of innocent people and dogs at risk.

Their investigation should consist of finding out whether the person is the correct person first off, then finding out if they are indeed prohibited. I don't have a problem with it per se, but as with a lot of things with our glorious government we see selected people get targeted, while others walk scot free for the same crimes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Their investigation should consist of finding out whether the person is the correct person first off, then finding out if they are indeed prohibited. I don't have a problem with it per se, but as with a lot of things with our glorious government we see selected people get targeted, while others walk scot free for the same crimes.

If done right that’s exactly what will happen. There will probably be some instance on an overzealous investigation.

Since the vast majority of NICS denials end up with the person being cleared (this false positives), that is where any investigation would end.

ATF doesn’t have the resources to go after a few hundred thousand people a year for the false positives. That still leaves a few tens of thousand legitimate denials and some number of those are idiots trying to get a gun who should know they are prohibited. Not just ones that don’t realize they are.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Has anyone heard an “explanation” from those republicans??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, again, the (D) gets it done.

How did the (R) not get the Hearing Protection Act passed?

The sooner the populace stops conflating the Republican party with conservatism, the better off the populace will be.

Precious few supporters of republicanism in the Republican party, I'm afraid.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If Maryland is any indication of how this might actually go nationally, I'm not sure this is going to amount to much.

As indicated, 90% are false positives, and that's going to be the very first thing that's verified, so in most cases that will be the first thing discovered on any investigation.

But look at Maryland's track record on actually prosecuting straw purchases. My Google-fu is weak this morning so I can't find the actual stats, but IIRC, Maryland has an abysmal record of actually prosecuting straw purchases.

I don't like it any more than any of the rest of us do, but I doubt if our currently overworked law enforcement agencies are going to spend much time tracking this stuff down - the very first thing they're going to do is verify that it's a false positive so they can go about their day fighting real crime.

lgershen

Dec 18, 2012
    I agree about a charge from many years ago. I've seen customers get denied due to an error and had to hire a lawyer to get it expunged. If there is a criminal investigation everytime someone is denied, innocent people will be stalled from protecting themselves let alone waste law enforcement resources.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    how many of those republican passed it because they simply didn't read it? Or passed the reading on to a staffer who overlooked it/let their personal feelings get in the way?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    how many of those republican passed it because they simply didn't read it? Or passed the reading on to a staffer who overlooked it/let their personal feelings get in the way?

Same as always. They're told the sky's going to fall if they don't pass it and they're given the text of the 20k page and told they have 1 hour to look it over.

There's the old saying about doing stuff in the middle of the night. It should apply to passing legislation as well.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The primary reason I ended up applying for an 03 years ago was I kept getting delayed when running NICs. So when doing a purchase with an out of state shop at a MD gunshow I was told I would have to drive to their shop to complete the transaction. Happened EVERY time. This to someone whose only interaction with law enforcement was a pair of speeding tickets as a teenager. Squeaky clean. My guess is there was someone who shared my name who had a criminal record and I was always getting caught in the prop wash.
    Investigating this would be a waste of time if they're doing NOTHING to clean up their record keeping and make the process more accurate/efficient. It's like crying about voter fraud while refusing to remove the dead from voter registration rolls. In the end the party of anti 2A just wants another tool to make their political enemies suffer and to virtue signal at a time when their utter opposition to prosecuting violent behavior is causing them to tank in polls. It has little to do with true public safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom